It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:47 am 

First I have to say I am very pleased with the MKV format hands down and I am not looking to deviate from MKV.

To stream online I use both Remote Potato and SubSonic and both work well. Now my kids do not have the best of internet connections so they complain about when they watch movies they stop and start. This is not an issue on my end but theres because others who stream content indicate the streams are smooth and of good quality.

I believe that if I were to convert my MKV Collection to either AVI or MP4 that my kids will have a much better experience with the stream but at the loss of video quality but I want to provide them with the option to select which video format works best for them.

Having said that what I am looking for is what others use to convert video files with hoping to find something that is reliable and works efficiently. Now I know I can do the MP4's with my EX470 but I have to say I was not overly impressed with the Media Collector and Converter in the HP3.0 software and I do not recall if it works with MKV's anyway just do not want to kill an old friend out of convience. I do have other toys which can do the conversions easily without breaking a sweat.

What I am not looking for is anything to perform this task on the server side. I have more than enough drive capacity in my clients to handle the process and prefer this task to be done on a client anyway just as I do when I rip my DVD or Blu-Rays.

Sorry for the long winded message but I am looking for a solution to convert MKV to either AVI or MP4.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:55 am 

I was able to find a program that was easy to use and after several days of playing with it turns out it works quite well. The program I am refering to is Freemake Video Converter which I actually found on CNET Downloads.

For those interested in giving it a try check out the following link: http://www.freemake.com/

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've been a fan of ImTOO Video Converter for a few years now. The output profiles are staggering...every possible format it seems. Being able to downconvert my HD library into formats for PSPs and various i-devices for the kids is swell. Tis also nice to be able to convert a video file or part of a video file into just audio as well. The ability to further control/tweak each predefined profile to adjust bitrate, etc allows for fantastic fine-tuning of output.

Like you, I was quite pleased with MKV "format" (more of a generic container like AVI than a format, but potato potatto!) for a number of years until I found my nirvana of HD formats in an unlikely place...Sony (which I despise). The Blu-ray .m2ts container format provides the MOST bang for the buck in my experience. Gorgeous feature-length movies, full 1080p with little-to-no compression ghosting/artifacting, 6+ channel audio (often multiple tracks), subtitles....all for the low low price of a single 4GB file to avoid FAT32 limitations. As I transition from SD to HD replacements in my extensive library, I use .m2ts exclusively.

I'll be sure to tinker around with the Freemake Video Converter you linked. I'm always on the lookout for better tools to make my life easier. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:44 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

How does ImTOO Video Converter and Freemake Video Converter compare to HandBrake? I've been using Handbrake to convert video from MKV or M2TS to M4V / MP4, which my two android phone can play. So, whenever my wife and I go for a long trip, I can re-encode the movies and put them in my phone for our kids to watch. However, it takes approximately 3.5 hours to re-encode a HD BD M2TS movie to M4V.

So, I was wondering if Freemake Video Converter or ImTOO Video Converter are any faster?

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0
Storage: 15 TB and growing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 am 

I found FreeMake Video Converter to convert to be quick and I converted over 500 movies in less than a weeks time. If you have the space why not just convert the files once for your mobile devices then you can move them at will rather than having to reconvert them that is if I understand what your saying.

One option worth looking at is running online streaming software like ORB, SubSonic, Remote Potato which can be done from a server or client and stream content online at will. Of course most mobile broadband providers do limit data but there are a few who do not.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I found FreeMake Video Converter to convert to be quick and I converted over 500 movies in less than a weeks time. If you have the space why not just convert the files once for your mobile devices then you can move them at will rather than having to reconvert them that is if I understand what your saying.

One option worth looking at is running online streaming software like ORB, SubSonic, Remote Potato which can be done from a server or client and stream content online at will. Of course most mobile broadband providers do limit data but there are a few who do not.

I usually re-encode my already ripped movies (mainly BD as main movie M2TS file format or MKV for DVD). For example, this past weekend we had a 4 hour long drive. So, I asked my kids, which movies they wanted to watch during the drive. So, thereafter I used Handbrake to encode those movies overnight.

However, I like the idea of streaming content from my server online at will. I will look in to those software. I'm also thinking of installing a WDTV2 in our vehicle(s), and use an external hard drive to play my ripped movies rather than doing the encoding.

Thanks.

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0
Storage: 15 TB and growing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well, I haven't tried all of them, but many of them. It all depends on what you are willing to do.

At the moment I use Vidcoder (cousin of Handbrake but a bit better to use), which is free and provides excellent results.

What I usually do is convert 1080p mkv files so they can fit on a single DVD DL disc, and my experience with Vidcoder doing that has been great.

Before that I had used Xilisoft, but Vidcoder control and results are more predictable. Highly recommended.

Thanks