It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playback Issues
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

UPDATE!

I loaded 2 new movies in my server Friday. Saturday night I tested playback on the first movie (Top Gun) in my living room with the A200. 4 minutes into the movie I started having the playback issue I was having with the A110 in the theater. So I skimmed back a few seconds and let the movie play and of course it played fine. So I then went to the second movie I ripped and let it play for about 15 minutes and it played perfectly fine. So I went back to the first movie and started it from the beginning and when 4 minutes came up the movie played perfectly fine. :crazy:

Tonight I got a chance to watch a full movie in the theater. I moved the A200 into the theater where the A110 usually is. I put on Top Gun and 4 minutes into the movie the playback issue started again!! So I skimmed back a few seconds and guess what... It played perfectly fine after that!

Now I just tested out the second movie I ripped and 20 minutes into the movie and no issues! So I decided to watch one of the movies that was giving me playback issues last weekend "Friends with Benefits" and it played perfectly fine also.

I'm not sure if this is a server problem or a media player problem or something else. What is going on here? ](*,)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 am 

No easy answer unfortunately. Maybe something funky was going on with the server, maybe one of the HDDs is having some issues, maybe the connection/hardware in your theater room was having issues, etc... At this point it is just best to monitor closely and if the issue comes up again see if there is anything obviously that may be going on.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:55 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
No easy answer unfortunately. Maybe something funky was going on with the server, maybe one of the HDDs is having some issues, maybe the connection/hardware in your theater room was having issues, etc... At this point it is just best to monitor closely and if the issue comes up again see if there is anything obviously that may be going on.

95% of the time everything works perfect.. That other 5% will drive you crazy! I'll have sometime this week to watch a few movies so I'll leave the A200 in the theater and see what happens.

The 2 new hard drives wouldn't be the problem would it? Its the first time I've used that model hard drive. I usually always use EAD drives but since the shortage of drives I was forced to purchased another model drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I was hoping more people would of replied in this thread. I can't be the only person to ever experience this problem... :?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 am 

Chrisx86 wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:

95% of the time everything works perfect.. That other 5% will drive you crazy! I'll have sometime this week to watch a few movies so I'll leave the A200 in the theater and see what happens.

The 2 new hard drives wouldn't be the problem would it? Its the first time I've used that model hard drive. I usually always use EAD drives but since the shortage of drives I was forced to purchased another model drive.

Could be a hard drive issue (keep an eye on the SMART data, just because the drive is new doesn't mean it there is an issue). Could just be your EX470 starting to show its age

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

[/quote]Could be a hard drive issue (keep an eye on the SMART data, just because the drive is new doesn't mean it there is an issue). Could just be your EX470 starting to show its age[/quote]

If the ex470 is starting to show its age I will just upgrade to a custom built server.

If I went WHS2011 or RAID would I manually have to transfer each movie into the new server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:36 pm 

Chrisx86 wrote:
If I went WHS2011 or RAID would I manually have to transfer each movie into the new server?

Unfortunately yes

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Chrisx86 wrote:

Unfortunately yes

Not what I wanted to hear! lol 450 movies would take forever to transfer one at a time.

I'm up to 18TB of storage.. Could it be the ex470 processor and ram are starting not to be powerful enough to handle that much storage?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm 

Chrisx86 wrote:

Not what I wanted to hear! lol 450 movies would take forever to transfer one at a time.

I'm up to 18TB of storage.. Could it be the ex470 processor and ram are starting not to be powerful enough to handle that much storage?

Yup, that is why I am in no rush to migrate

No, the processor and ram is fine

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Do you know if whs2011 can only handle 32 drives like v1?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:33 pm 

Chrisx86 wrote:
Do you know if whs2011 can only handle 32 drives like v1?

not a limitation. I think the 32 drive limitation is an x32 limitation?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Chrisx86 wrote:

Yup, that is why I am in no rush to migrate

No, the processor and ram is fine

Reason why I asked was cause I was reading a bunch of different topics here on the forums and came across a member that said "the more work the CPU on the server has to do to transcode and stream the content, the more likely you are to get playback issues if the CPU gets maxed out".

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:20 pm 

Chrisx86 wrote:
Reason why I asked was cause I was reading a bunch of different topics here on the forums and came across a member that said "the more work the CPU on the server has to do to transcode and stream the content, the more likely you are to get playback issues if the CPU gets maxed out".

That is correct, but you are not transcoding :mrgreen: Transcoding would be needed if you were trying to play back your content on a device that didn't support that content (i.e if you were trying to use an Xbox360 instead of a PCH)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:25 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Chrisx86 wrote:

That is correct, but you are not transcoding :mrgreen: Transcoding would be needed if you were trying to play back your content on a device that didn't support that content (i.e if you were trying to use an Xbox360 instead of a PCH)

Ok gotcha :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just started testing out some more movies.. I have the A110 in the living room now and tried to test out Top Gun and exactly at 3 minutes 50 seconds the movie pauses then starts doing that fast forwarding issue. The issue happens at the exact same time on that movie each time I've tried it.

I'm going to try and delete the movie from the server and try to transfer it back over from my PC and see if that helps any.

This issue is now happening with both players multiple times with the same movie. Its not the movie since I can skim back a few seconds and the movie plays perfectly fine after that. I have no clue what else to try with the server. Is there anyone here on the forums who has ran into a similar problem that you know of?

I'm now testing out another movie that gave me playback issues the weekend this all started. Then in a couple hours I will watch a movie on the A200 in the theater and see what happens.

This is beginning to be so frustrating lol

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next