It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I installed Zumocast on my WHS v1 running on an HP EX475. If I terminal serve into the box, I can get Zumocast to run and stay running until I reboot or until my box automatically reboots in the middle of the night. I cannot seem to get Zumocast to start automatically when the server is rebooted.

Has anyone using Zumocast found a way to get it to start automatically or to run as a service? I would sure appreciate some help here...

Thanks!

Eric

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 pm 
Founder
Founder

Take a look at srvany.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:53 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The problem is worse than just that Zumocast won't restart automatically if WHS is restarted. It does not stay running unless I am RDC'd into WHS from a client PC. As soon as I log off from my RDC, Zumocast loses access to the server. Zumocast reports that "the server is offline."

This makes the product effectively worthless, I'm afraid.

Have I just not set it up right? For example, with the proper access privileges? Is there a way around this? I could live with Zumocast having to be manually restarted when the server restarts, but I'm obviously not going to make sure a machine is constantly RDC'd into WHS on the chance that I'll want to use Zumocast.

-David

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Are you just closing the RDC window or logging out?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:15 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm logging out. So are you saying I could just close the window and leave the session running? Never thought of that...

The more I think about it, the more I think I would try the srvany.exe route -- it sounds perfect, since it would solve the restart problem as well -- but I'm not a Win NT Resource Kit (or any other developer kit) subscriber and I have no idea where I'd get the two needed programs. Are there other other places to get them?

-David

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:23 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can just close the window, it'll leave the session running on the server side. You can download the resource kit here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17657

If you get it working, write up a little tutorial! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

OK, here's a tutorial.

HOW TO INSTALL ZUMOCAST ON WHS

ZumoCast can be installed on Windows Home Server (version 1—everything I say here pertains to my experience with version 1, not WHS 2011) and works well for streaming content and file access offsite. Installation itself is unproblematic; it is just like installing ZumoCast on a PC. Unfortunately, ZumoCast is designed to work only as an application on a PC with a user account logged in. Therefore, ZumoCast as normally installed will work on WHS only when there is a session logged in from a Remote Desktop Connection. Once you log off, ZumoCast will report that “the server is offline.” You can close the RDC window without logging off, and ZumoCast will continue to provide server access, but if the server restarts for any reason, ZumoCast stops working until you RDC in to start a new session.

A way to solve these difficulties is to install ZumoCast to run as a Service on WHS. This resolves both problems just mentioned, because a Service can be set to run automatically on server startup and can be given a user login account to run under. It turns out to be relatively easy to set up any application to run as a Service on WHS. Basic instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890. The two programs needed to follow these instructions (srvany.exe and instsrv.exe) can be obtained here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17657. What follows is a recast of the basic instructions with specific advice based on my experience setting up ZumoCast to run as a Service under WHS.

1. Download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools from the link provided above.

2. Open a DOS command prompt (CMD.EXE) and execute the following command:
“C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Instsrv.exe” ZumoCast “C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Srvany.exe”

(This command is all one line.) If your path to these programs is different, change it. If your path includes directory names with spaces as above, you must include the quotation marks. Otherwise, they are not necessary. Close the command window.

3. Open the registry editor (Regedt32.exe). Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ZumoCast

If you can’t find this key, you’ve made a mistake in the previous step.

4. Now we want to add a parameter to this registry key to tell the system what executable to run for the Service. From the Edit menu, select New|Key. Make the key name Parameters.

5. Select the new Parameters key, and from the Edit menu, select New|String Value. For the name, put Application. Then pull down the Edit menu again and select Modify (with the new “Application” value selected). For the value data, type:
“C:\Program Files\Zecter\ZumoCast\zumolauncher.exe”

Again, if your path is different, change it. The quotation marks may not be necessary here. I used them and it worked.

6. Close the registry editor.

7. Services created this way are set to start automatically on server startup. But we must still add a login for ZumoCast. Open Services. Scroll down to ZumoCast. If it isn’t there, you’ve done something wrong. Double-click it and select the Log On tab in the Properties dialogue. Click the This Account radio button and enter an account name and password. I used Administrator, but I should think any (that has the relevant content access privileges) would do. Click OK.

8. If ZumoCast is still running from before its new incarnation as a Service (there’ll be a ZumoCast icon in the Systray if this is true), better close it. Then in Services, start it.

That’s it. You should now be able to logoff your RDC session and still access server content through ZumoCast, and you should be able to restart the server and have ZumoCast start automatically.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank davidpotts for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post (ask) and run. But I did find the solution and it did not involve starting Zumocast as a server. The problem with Zumocast (and probably most other third party streaming software) is that they require a user to be logged into Windows for the streaming server to be active. I would always login via remote desktop and have zumocast available until my server was next rebooted. After installing Zumocast, I later installed Plex and that is when I found the solution. You must enable AutoLogon and enter your user info for the media software to work properly at boot. I found out how to do this by going to this MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324737/en-us. After I did this, I could use Plex or Zumocast any time I needed to do so.

I hope others find this helpful...

Eric

Thanks