It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 pm 

Hi.

I have an EX495 and want to set up the iTunes Server. I followed the simple instructions and the opened iTunes and the HP MediaSmart Server appears under shared devices. However, when I select the HP MediaSmart Server, it just says “Loading "HP MediaSmart Server"” (see screenshot attached) and never actually shows the music files on the server. Hopefully I have just missed something obvious. I did try and search the forums to see if this was already covered but had no luck.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot of HP MediaSmart Server Loading
screen shot itunes issue.doc [231.5 KiB]
Downloaded 507 times
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You aren't doing anything wrong -- iTunes 10.5 can't read the server share. Since HP doesn't support these anymore I wouldn't expect a fix. I've been trying to find a solution to the same issue for a few weeks now, and the WHS boards are strangely silent. The best (only) I've seen is roll back to 10.4.

It seems WHS and iTunes just aren't compatible, unless you want to start getting into loading iTunes to the server as a process, which is a bit more advanced than just taking advantage of the shared Music folder across your home network. The simple solution if you want to use iTunes on your home network is to not use your WHS, and use Apples Home Sharing. This defeats the purpose of a WHS of course which to me is very disappointing.

If anyone has any other suggestions for using iTunes on a WHS I'd be very interested in hearing them, but to me the complications of loading and configuring various software products, some of which aren't even standard WHS plug-ins, for a solution that isn't even 100% just isn't worth it to me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:13 am 

I have sent feedback via iTues to Apple...and no reply or fix - no surprise from Apple. The iTunes 'upgrade' was the only thing that changed on my network so iTunes is to blame. Unfortunately it is poor, inflexible software that has left many NAS users seething. A workaround from HP would be appreciated.

Thanks