It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Skipping Streamed Media
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:17 pm 

I have read a few of the posts, and nothing has really helped me. I am not the most tech friendly person, so please take that into account. I have my EX470 upgraded with the 2gb's of ram, I did that this past weekend. I has hoping that it would solve the skipping/stuttering problem. I have my EX470 downstairs in the basement, and I am using a PS3 to pick up the video content from the server. I have not updated/upgraded the PS3 software, it is running Sony software. I am using a machine that I build using a Gigabyte 865PE MB, and Handbreak to encode my movie collection (really they are all of my son's movies).

So we go upstairs for "movie night", and right in the middle of Iron Man 2 we get some stuttering. Okay maybe the encode needs to be redone. We try The Lightning Thief, more of the same. Approx 10 seconds of good video wirelessly streamed, then 2 to 3 seconds of a paused effect, then restart the pattern.

Is it my hardware when I do the encoding, is it the Sony software on the PS3, is it my router...I am lost. I would really like to get this figured out before I get too deep into the collection. I am averaging 2 to 3 hours per disc on the encoding.

Scott

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 am 

Hi ssfos welcome to the forums \:D/

To troubleshoot the issue you describe is to go through a process of ellimination. I would start by looking at the actual movie to make certain the movie file is in good working order. I would then attempt to stream the movie again to see if the problem can be replicated. Replication is a good thing in that once you find the cause of the problem and resolve it then your done but intermittent issues are a major pain to figure out.

If the problem can be replicated then I would move your PS3 to a location where it could be hardwired to your network to see if the problem is still there or if it goes away. If the problem is still there then can you stream the movie to another computer to elliminate the PS3? If the PS3 Streams without issue then you can determine that the wireless connection is the cause. If you are unable to stream on another PC or the PS3 regardless of the connection be it Hardwired or Wireless then you need to look at the EX470 itself.

Is the issue your reporting new or has this been happening often? I know you mention one instance you called Movie Night and so it may be an isolated incident but its never safe to assume something as it will dictate a totally different thought process.

As for your router its best to always have a gigabit connection to the server and to maintain gigabit connections to the devices which support them. Its also a waste of money to provide gigabit connectivity to devices that are only 10/100 unless down the road you plan on replacing such devices with gigabit. As for wireless you will want to make certain that the signal is stronge and running at a decent speed. Any weak signal can interfear with your stream.

Should you require additional help or have more questions please feel free to ask......

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
dbone1026, yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 pm 

Comp1962,

I think you read my mind. Last night I tried to remove the one piece of the puzzle. I was able to watch 45 minutes of three different movies streamed from the ex470 to my wife's MacBook Pro. Not one skip, pause, stop, nothing. Next step would be to move the PS3 near the router and plug in direct and see if the issue continues.

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:05 pm 

One other thing you might want to do is to observe the CPU Load and whats causing it on your EX470 when it streams well and when it does not stream well. This will also give you a better understanding if the issue is on the EX470. To do this you need to do an RDP connection to the servers desktop then open up the task manager to see whats going on.

These matters are sometimes easy to figure out while others not so easy but your on the right track and I wish you well in figuring out a solution.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks