It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Boxee Box
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Dbone,

Youve had your box for quite some time now. How are you feeling about it? Ill say it has been hit or miss with me that is for sure. I didnt like a few things right at first but chalked that up to being new to the box and not knowing how to use it. when it works like you want its great. With that said when it hiccups its a total disaster. The things I dont like is the manual process for organizing Videos if boxee cant figure out title info. Most of my vids in the beginning where MP4 with iTunes Metadata tagged in the file, for example: the big bang theory for my collection was listed as Big Bang Theory, The - SxEXX - Title. This way when windows organize it on the server it would show up as B instead of T. This confuses Boxee and every series and every episode Ive done this too ends up in unrecognized. Annoying. There are times when favorites or repositories wont work so Ive reset the box and cant get back in with username and password. One night I tried like 50x, annoyed doesnt even begin to describe it. Then finally it took. but the factory reset doesnt seem to go through cause all my repositories and favorites are still there. The menu isnt consistent. some times the home button goes here or there or some place else.

When it does work it makes me remember why I dont have cable, cause I dont need it. Definitely not parent approved. It might cause my son (13) some issues also. The girlfriend is use to it now. Im sure she likes the clean (UI and Ease of use) of the appletv better but has been getting use to the Box.

The Audio fall out issue according to a few posts I read is a chip issue. do you know anything about that?? Any leads on when a new firmware will come out?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Boxee Box
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Dbone what can you tell about ember media manager? I like my files named a specific way. As in tvshows: Show - SxExx - episode title. Movies: Movie - Year - Starring. I prefer to use I tunes to write my metadata to file but seeing as not all of my files are mp4 at the moment...

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Boxee Box
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:27 am 

Hey T-Bone,

Sorry for responding so late, was off last week so didn't spend too much time in front of the PC.

I honestly have rarely used the Boxee Box. The audio dropout issues (although not frequent) are enough of a bother, and since I have other players (such as the Dune) that plays all my files with no audio issues I haven't seen a reason to use the Boxee Box. I am not a big online content guy and anyways I hate the Boxee Box remote, so for my particular setup these are just more negatives. I also like to have more control over my jukebox (such as managing remotely on a PC, etc...) which I lose a bit with Boxee Box.

All my tv shows are names Show Name - S##E## - episode name. I don't do what you do (i.e. moving "The") since most of the jukeboxes/players I use already disregard "The" in the sorting. I haven't used EMM in a while, I instead use metabrowser

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks