It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WD TV Live review
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:00 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have decided to slowly build my media server for my house. I have decided to buy a streaming device like the WD TV Live but I came back here for a review and cant find it...Ive used the search bar but nothing...Can someone point me in the right direction???

I was wanting to plug in my external HD to this device until I get a server built and was wanting to see screen shots of the UI....I do remeber the UI wasnt' that good...

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WD TV Live review
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:46 pm 

I own a WD TV Live is your basic low end Media Extender with a plain user interface thats not too difficult to get around. You can use it with or without Twonky running on a server or client. It has handled everything I have thrown at it.

The newer version WD TV Live Plus has a Netflix feature so if thats of interest to you then go with the Plus version. There is another unit that WD did put out which can house an internal hard drive. Not really certain how those work out for people. If you want something more spectacular then you may want to consider an HTPC.

I would spend some time reading what Damian has written in the NEWS, GUIDES and REVIEWS Areas as this is really his area of expertise. Just to forwarn you its adictive even if you do not have a server or other central storage system setup in your home. I just know one thing once you begin to rip your movie collection and store it in a central location its not only addictive but opens up a who new world for ya. Streaming within your home is one thing but to stream your media outside the home is exciting to because you can access your media from the internet and enjoy if everywhere on PC's and SmartPhones.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: WD TV Live review
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have to agree....for the last few months I have been storing my movies on external HD's to save my space on my computer..As a matter of fact Im buying another drive tomorroo because of space..But this will be my LAST external drive to hold me over until I get a server...I do remember Damian's reviews...very good...thank you for your response

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks