It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:30 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Big edit: just use Serviio it is DLNA /free/ has a whs addin and works YAHHHH!!!!!

Just found this, could it replace Twonky? It looks like it could. It's free. Not sure how my networked TV DLNA would see it. Maybe Version 1.1 could have DLNA, I'll shoot them a email, I'm tired of waiting for Twonky to get it together.
http://www.remotepotato.com/
No DLNA :shock: see top

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:35 am 

I installed on my WHS2011 Test Server. Works ok. I have it pulling up moves from my WHS v1 server and will ask those who help me test streaming functions on my servers to give it a try and let me know what they think of it. Not quite sure if its a replacement for Twonky or not but I was never a Twonky user anyway.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:54 pm 
Founder
Founder

Moving to the Media Streaming forum

Damian has a blog post on Remote Potato here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/05 ... or-update/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:26 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

It's fee unless you want to use it on your mobile device like the iPhone. That app costs $6.99. Just something to consider if you want to access from such devices.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:38 am 

The Android App Remote Media Center is free. I have paid for certain apps on my devices which provide me a bennifit. Yesterday I was streaming a Blu-Ray MKV movie from my new server. I think I enjoy showing people the ability to stream things like this from a home server to a cell phone more than actually watching the movie. Its their reaction thats sometimes very entertaining especially when you explain they can do it too.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 am 

This week I finally got around to testing Remote Potato on 2 of my EX470's. During this test I was pulling MKV movies from another server and not for any of the local storage pool drives. I did not test the stream of any Blu-Ray MKV files because I already knew this would be too difficult. On both servers I have Remote Access disabled as I was utilizing my domain name and assigned port number to access the Remote Potato Software for the test.

What I found out was the EX470 which has the Duel Core BE2300 with 2 GB of RAM streamed well. This server is running the new HP 3.x Software and has all its media functions disabled. I tested this from work and had a friend test it from their home.

On the EX470 with the stock processor, 2 GB RAM and HP v1.x software the movies would not stream well. To get the movies to stream I shut down DE, and another service which at this time I can't recall the name. Then I tested the stream again and it worked well but the CPU Pegged at 100% over heated the CPU and the server shut down. This is my test server so tomorrow I will try to look to see if I have Alexes Fan Control Add-In installed on it or not and see what if anything more I can do to make this work short of installing the last BE2300 I have on the shelf which is new in the box but I was more interested in seeing if the stock processor could handle this or not. Of course shutting down DE for some would only be a temporary fix.

I was told the music streamed well and I expected that the music might possibly be an issue based on the experience I had with SubSonic a program I am very fond of. Over the next week or so I will ask those who have used both Remote Potato and SubSonic which they prefer but the one thing I noticed about Remote Potato was it was that it played music SubSonic had difficulty with.

The sole reason why I chose to test this on an EX470 in the first place was to demonstrate if it could be done or not so that those with an MSS could determine if installing it on their server might be worth giving a shot. While some enjoy the media functions of their server I do believe the use of software like Remote Potato is more robust in what it can stream.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:06 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I had started my testing of Remote Potato when Shawshank died, so I didn't get a chance to run it at full steam :( When I did test everything played back well except I did encounter stuttering on my full BR rips (which tbh I expected). Like I said though, I didn't get a chance to do more involved/extensive testing, but hopefully once Shawshank is redeemed I can get back on it

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:57 pm 

I was never able to get Blu-Rays to stream well off any of my WHS v1 servers even the ProLiant with its 2 Duel Core Opteron's had studdering issues. Only my new server which I called Highlander could stream them smoothly. The impact to RAM is minimal but FFMPEG (Might have the name off abit) did put a load on Highlanders processor but it appears to be the same regardless of what you stream.

This morning I found my suspicion about not having Alex's Fan Control loaded in my EX470 Test Server and so I installed it and when I arrived home I tested Remote Potato Again. There was an inital pause after the stream started fine but after a couple mins it studdered. I tested it on a notebook and a desktop, the desktop played better. For the first time I tried using a lower quality setting but I was unable to play any MKV file I tried so I am not sure what that is about.

While I realize that testing this on a pretty much stock EX470 is pushing it to its limits, I have to admit I was curious. So for those who may have EX470's and are interested in running Remote Potato I would have to recommend they upgrade the processor to known compatable Duel Core Processor. I had one EX470 with an AMD BE2300 which appears to get the job done but thats with its media functions shut down. More testing would be needed to see what impact DE might have on it but the limited testing done yesterday indicates its good.

I will write more about this when I am able to do more extensive testing over the weekend but I do know the BE2300 will handle the job because the first testing I performed was on a WHS2011 test server which has a BE2300 and it worked very well and myself and others beat the hell out of it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:02 pm 

My testing of Remote Potato was actually on my core i7 Desktop PC, so I don't think the stuttering was due to insufficient resources on my PC. From my experience streaming high bitrate content is just not reliable in most cases (I like t o use the opening scene from Quantum Of Solace as my test)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:22 pm 

I don't know much about the High Bit Rate stuff. I just rip to MKV and am just happy to have the movie play so my testing is probably less intensive as what you would be testing. After all this is really your area of expertise and not mine. I just keep things as simple as possible using the KISS method approach which often keeps me and others out of trouble.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thank you both very much, I have been working on other projects and have completely stopped playing with the boxes.
I gave up on Twonky completely, so now all I do in pull up the movies and music from the MSS to the other PC's in the house using Win Media Player.
It is sad, but I don't even try to bring up the movies/pictures on the TV anymore.

All I wanted was to be able to pull up my converted 1 gig mpg dvd rips/ my photos on my TV via dlna, did not want anything outside the network, just inside.

Twonky has completely taken the fun out of my home.

You guys are in the know way more then I am about this stuff.
Is there anything that will work on my x510 to serve up my movies-mpg's and photo-jpgs to my TV, I would even pay for software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 am 

Gardian wrote:
Thank you both very much, I have been working on other projects and have completely stopped playing with the boxes.
I gave up on Twonky completely, so now all I do in pull up the movies and music from the MSS to the other PC's in the house using Win Media Player.
It is sad, but I don't even try to bring up the movies/pictures on the TV anymore.

All I wanted was to be able to pull up my converted 1 gig mpg dvd rips/ my photos on my TV via dlna, did not want anything outside the network, just inside.

Twonky has completely taken the fun out of my home.

You guys are in the know way more then I am about this stuff.
Is there anything that will work on my x510 to serve up my movies-mpg's and photo-jpgs to my TV, I would even pay for software.

You can try either a transcoding software like TVersity or PS3MediaServer (not just for PS3) which can be installed directly on your x510. Honestly, the best solution is just to by a dedicated media player that can handle all the formats you store and connect it to your TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm 

I agree with dbone1026 and the reason for it is to take the task of transcoding away from the server so that all it needs to do is provide the file to the media extender of your choice.

If you want the server to handle the transcoding then give Serviio a try: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... -released/

The interesting thing about this is that you can change the drive location Serviio uses to store files for the transcoding process taking the load off your system drive. I played with it for a short period of time then removed it from my server. I found it to be interesting, feature rich and it can be custom configured for your needs. I removed it because I do not have nor have I ever required software like this or Twonky because my little WD TV Live does what I need it to do and its not fancy and has a very ugly but simple UI that just works.

So take a look at the media extenders available to you and start enjoying the media on your server on the living room TV or other room of your choice. Its a very cool feature to have.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I gave up and just put Serviio on my x510... Yahhhh!!! ByeBye Twonky and hello to my movies, music, photos on my TV DLNA :banana:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 pm 

So has the joy now returned to your house now that Serviio has been installed? Oh it takes abit for it to do its scanning but once its done it packed if you turn everything on.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks