It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Ripping DVD's to ISO
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi there

I've just started to rip some of my TV box sets to ISO. I'm using DVD Decrytper on my desktop and setting the target directory to a share on my EX470. It is taking between 50 and 60 minutes to rip an entire disc (just over 8GB in size).

I'm just curious if this is a reasonable amout of time to rip a DVD. I'm used to CD's that take just a couple of minutes each to rip.

Thanks

Bert

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Ripping DVD's to ISO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:53 am 

Bert Wise wrote:
Hi there

I've just started to rip some of my TV box sets to ISO. I'm using DVD Decrytper on my desktop and setting the target directory to a share on my EX470. It is taking between 50 and 60 minutes to rip an entire disc (just over 8GB in size).

I'm just curious if this is a reasonable amout of time to rip a DVD. I'm used to CD's that take just a couple of minutes each to rip.

Thanks

Bert

That seems to be very long. My process:

- I rip a DVD directly to my PC
- Once done I then copy over to my WHS shared folder

This process takes me about 10-15 minutes. Ripping my BluRays and copying over takes about 50-60 minutes (usually around 25-35GB)

Try ripping to your PC first, and then when done copying over, and see if that helps. I have found trying to rip directly to my WHS takes much longer, at least with my setup. Of course the ripping speed could also be due to your ROM drive as well.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

You can also get the My Movies Add IN for the WHS. That along with Any DVD HD and you just stick the disc in the WHS and it does the rest. I don't rip any DVDs to my WHS but when I rip my BDs to ISOs with the BD ROM drives attached to my WHS it takes around 40 to 48 minutes for a 35GB to 45GB disc. Close to a gigabyte a minute.

I do occassionally rip to the WHS from my Desktop PCs SATA BD ROM drives, and that is a little faster for me than ripping from the USB BD rom drives attached to my WHS.

Ripping speeds are also faster when using an unlocked drive. Otherwise they won't read faster than a certain speed for commercial media. At least that is the case with BDs. I'm not sure if it's also the case with DVDs.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank aaronwt for this post
Bert Wise
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the advice. I've just tried ripping to my desktop and it's taking about 45 minutes for a DVD. I'm still using an IDE DVD drive so that could be my problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

aaronwt - Your comment about an unlocked drive got me looking. I found a program called MediaCodeSpeedEdit (MCSE) that you use to increase the read speed of your DVD drive. It requires you to find a firmware version for your drive and edits the firmware to "unlock" your read speed. You than flash your DVD drive with the modified firmware and the drive then reads at a higher speed.

It took me a while to find a firmware version for my particular DVD drive but once I found the firmware, it took less than 5 minutes to edit the firmware and flash the drive.

I've now done 2 DVD's, each taking about 15 minutes at read speeds up to 8.0x. Previously the drive would sit at 2.2x.

Now I can get on with ripping my "Get Smart" box set (I asked you not to tell me that!) :banana:

Thanks

Bert

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:13 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Bert Wise wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I've just tried ripping to my desktop and it's taking about 45 minutes for a DVD. I'm still using an IDE DVD drive so that could be my problem.

I'm using SlySoft's AnyDVD HD and was ripping DVDs like crazy the last couple of days. Between Friday and Saturday, I ripped 10 seasons CSI Vegas, 7 of CSI Miami and 3 of CSI NY. Still have a few CSIs left plus the entire ST TNG series (7 seasons).

I was using four different PCs for this process...an HP desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate x64, a Dell XPS 710 with Windows Server 2008 R2, and old 32-bit Dell desktop with Windows Server 2008 and an HP EliteBook 8540w with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. While the HP desktop was the fastest, taking about 11 minutes per disc, all the others seemed to come in around 14-16 minutes. Even that older 32-bit desktop kept up with its much more powerful counterparts, even if it was usually the last one to finish...it was never more than 20-30 seconds behind the others. And that particular desktop has an IDE DVD drive in it.

So 45 minutes definitely seems long to me.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

It shouldn't take that long to rip a DVD. I give a thumbs up for AnyDVD as the program of choice as well.

Thanks