It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: head scratcher here...?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:16 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm running into skipped frames/stuttering with my encoded DVD mp4 files. I've been using Media Browser and AnyDVD for the past two months and have observed the following:

1. When playing the video via file sharing \\server\share the *.mp4 file(s) play fine via 1GB ethernet and wireless N router without stuttering.
2. When playing the vidoe via Media browser, with the main share configured as \\server\share by Media Browser Configure, the video would stutter
3. shutting down Media browser and watching the same *.mp4 clip (eg. SALT) and the file plays just fine.

Same computer, ALL other APPS and background tasks have been turned off via Task Manager.
Watched *.mp4 via Media Player 12.0.7600.16667, then exited out to launch Media Browser 2.2.8/2.2.9 orion & Orion w/ sp1 & 2.3.0 draco
Attempted to watch same movie file and was virtually unbearable to watch because every 7 ~9 minutes 15~25 seconds of stutter
Media Browser exited and re-launched Media Player 12 and same video plays fine without issue...
Tried the SAME excercise (ABOVE) via 1GB Ethernet and then wireless G network, same results in both instances.
Tried many many times over the past two months since Christmas 2010 as you can see with all the different versions of Media Browser listed, and the results are duplicated in the AM/PM, weekdays or weekends...

*sigh*

Is there some magic setting in Media Browser that I haven't tweaked to improve performance?

I'm at wits end here... Any and ALL help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you ALL in advance...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:16 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi lonewolf69.

I don't believe it would be Media Browser, as Media Browser does not play video, it just opens the file for Windows Media Center to play.

It may well be a missing codec/splitter/filter that Window Media Center needs.

Although I don't believe it's MB related, you could try posting on the MB Community Tracker.

CBers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 am 

As Cbers mentioned Media Browser should not be affecting actual playback as it is just simply using the WMC player. However, when Media Browser starts up I believe a library scan kicks in, and this could be affecting your performance. Can you try a few things:

- Try playing the mp4 through the default WMC library
- Have MPC HC launch for your mp4s from Media Browser

With either of the two above do you still get the same issue?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

thanks for the info, I'll try launching hte videos via WMC without launching media browser, however, I'm not sure what

"MPC HC" launch for Media Browser...

Is this a serperate program like WM Player???

I'm on the fence about the CODEC issue though, I have multiple machines in my house

1. Hometheater
2. Kids computer X2
3. Master Bedroom HTPC

All have the same issue as described in my original post, if this is indeed codec issue then I shouldn't have been able to play the videos using Windows Media Player? On *RARE* occassions and I do mean RARE, I sometimes can almost make it to the end of a 90 minute movie without interuption but heaven forbid if I try to re-watch the same movie on a different night with the kids or wife because the movie would then skip...

I'll try the suggestions when I get home tonight and report back... thx again for the suggestions...

-Alex
thx!

dbone1026 wrote:
As Cbers mentioned Media Browser should not be affecting actual playback as it is just simply using the WMC player. However, when Media Browser starts up I believe a library scan kicks in, and this could be affecting your performance. Can you try a few things:

- Try playing the mp4 through the default WMC library
- Have MPC HC launch for your mp4s from Media Browser

With either of the two above do you still get the same issue?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 pm 

lonewolf69 wrote:
thanks for the info, I'll try launching hte videos via WMC without launching media browser, however, I'm not sure what

I'm on the fence about the CODEC issue though, I have multiple machines in my house

1. Hometheater
2. Kids computer X2
3. Master Bedroom HTPC

All have the same issue as described in my original post, if this is indeed codec issue then I shouldn't have been able to play the videos using Windows Media Player? On *RARE* occassions and I do mean RARE, I sometimes can almost make it to the end of a 90 minute movie without interuption but heaven forbid if I try to re-watch the same movie on a different night with the kids or wife because the movie would then skip...

I'll try the suggestions when I get home tonight and report back... thx again for the suggestions...

-Alex
thx!

Here is how to launch MPC HC from Media Browser. The great thing about MPC HC is that no codecs are required

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

???
I just got home and saw your post but not sure what you're referring to... thx!

PS> I tried playing the videos through the MEDIA CENTER without media browser and it stutters just the same. So no difference with or without Media Browser...

But still works better when running via Windows Media Player...

Thanks!

dbone1026 wrote:
lonewolf69 wrote:

1. Hometheater
2. Kids computer X2
3. Master Bedroom HTPC

-Alex
thx!

Here is how to launch MPC HC from Media Browser. The great thing about MPC HC is that no codecs are required

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:11 pm 

lonewolf69 wrote:
???

PS> I tried playing the videos through the MEDIA CENTER without media browser and it stutters just the same. So no difference with or without Media Browser...

Thanks!

Seriously, you don't read minds!!! Sorry about there, see my link

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... a-browser/

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
lonewolf69
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

THAT did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

thanks for the advice, Damian, using the external player feature worked like a charm, still don't know WHY, internally it doesn't work, but MPC HC works like a CHAMP, enjoying full movies again without stuttering...

Very VERY happy!!! :mrgreen:

dbone1026 wrote:
lonewolf69 wrote:
???

Thanks!

Seriously, you don't read minds!!! Sorry about there, see my link

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... a-browser/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:16 am 

lonewolf69 wrote:
THAT did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

thanks for the advice, Damian, using the external player feature worked like a charm, still don't know WHY, internally it doesn't work, but MPC HC works like a CHAMP, enjoying full movies again without stuttering...

Very VERY happy!!! :mrgreen:

Sounds like you have a codec issue somewhere. Just glad you got everything working without issue :banana:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Sounds like you have a codec issue somewhere. Just glad you got everything working without issue :banana:

Was just about to post the same, you beat me to it :lol:

@lonewolf69, it you wanna try using Windows Media Center to play your files instead of MPC-HC, then have a read of this.

Thanks