It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: MKV vs .ISO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I hate to keep bothering you good people but Im trying to get my BR video files ready for a MSS purchase in the future....I was trying to backup my BR's using DVDFab then shrinking them to MKV with Handbrake...But if Im reading the Popcorn Hour web page, there products support ISO files....Sooooo with that said could I use a program like Anydvd HD and shrink the ISO file and skip the whole MKV step....Thanx

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: MKV vs .ISO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:11 am 

katpeeler wrote:
I hate to keep bothering you good people but Im trying to get my BR video files ready for a MSS purchase in the future....I was trying to backup my BR's using DVDFab then shrinking them to MKV with Handbrake...But if Im reading the Popcorn Hour web page, there products support ISO files....Sooooo with that said could I use a program like Anydvd HD and shrink the ISO file and skip the whole MKV step....Thanx

You would need BD Rebuilder to do what you want:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/BD_Rebuilder

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yes, I BDRebuilder....I guees my question was do you think its a good idea to go with .ISO instead of MKV???......Especialy since Ill be using it with PopcornHour.....

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 pm 

katpeeler wrote:
Yes, I BDRebuilder....I guees my question was do you think its a good idea to go with .ISO instead of MKV???......Especialy since Ill be using it with PopcornHour.....

Honestly no difference as the popcornhour supports both ISO and mkv, really just personal preference. If you want to keep the entire disc (BluRay menus, extras, etc...) then ISO is the way you want to go

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:42 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ok....I seen where Popcorn Hour had issues reading ISO....But I guees I was mistaken...Honestly Im in the proccess right now using BDRebuilder for JUST the movie...I dont want menu's/extras with the file to use on Popcorn Hour so I can save space

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

katpeeler wrote:
Ok....I seen where Popcorn Hour had issues reading ISO....But I guees I was mistaken...Honestly Im in the proccess right now using BDRebuilder for JUST the movie...I dont want menu's/extras with the file to use on Popcorn Hour so I can save space

The PCH products I've owned have been great reading my full rip BD ISO titles. I've ripped most of my several hundred BD collection to the ISO format.

The C200 is the most versatile since it can play back the BD ISO with full menus or playback just the movie with a BD lIte menu. Some titles cause issues when trying to play just the movie which is where the full menu playback capabiltiy comes in handy. All the media players with BD Lite menus have this issue with some titles. The way around it is to have a box that can play the full menus or you just rip only the movie instead of a full BD ISO.

But because of this the C200 seems to be the most versatilemedia player since it can use the BD Lite menu and just play the titles or use full menu navigation and give you the experience like sticking a disc in. Although for me personally, now I only use my C200 when I want/need full be menu navigation and I use my Boxee Boxes for viewing everything else.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:16 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

aaronwt wrote:
katpeeler wrote:

The PCH products I've owned have been great reading my full rip BD ISO titles. I've ripped most of my several hundred BD collection to the ISO format.

The C200 is the most versatile since it can play back the BD ISO with full menus or playback just the movie with a BD lIte menu. Some titles cause issues when trying to play just the movie which is where the full menu playback capabiltiy comes in handy. All the media players with BD Lite menus have this issue with some titles. The way around it is to have a box that can play the full menus or you just rip only the movie instead of a full BD ISO.

But because of this the C200 seems to be the most versatilemedia player since it can use the BD Lite menu and just play the titles or use full menu navigation and give you the experience like sticking a disc in. Although for me personally, now I only use my C200 when I want/need full be menu navigation and I use my Boxee Boxes for viewing everything else.

Thats good to know....I messed around this weekend with a couple of programs to see the direction I want (MKV/ISO)...and determined ISO is the way to go...dont see the need to encode to MKV..Also Im just interested in the Main Movie of my BluRays so what your telling me any Popcorn Hour product will be fine........KNOW I just have to settle on which MMS to buy..=)...Thanx again for the info

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

the video doesn't need to be encoded to be placed in an mkv container...I personally just use MakeMKV to rip the main movie only along with subtitles and commentary tracks. It's just simple... It only takes my server ~6min to copy a dvd to mkv...I'm sure that would be significantly less with a locally stored ISO.

If I have movies where I don't feel the need to retain the lossless quality I add them to the queue in handbrake and let handbrake re-encode them.

I'm gonna check out BDRebuilder though...looks like a cool idea to keep all the extras.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

katpeeler wrote:
Thats good to know....I messed around this weekend with a couple of programs to see the direction I want (MKV/ISO)...and determined ISO is the way to go...dont see the need to encode to MKV..Also Im just interested in the Main Movie of my BluRays so what your telling me any Popcorn Hour product will be fine........KNOW I just have to settle on which MMS to buy..=)...Thanx again for the info

if you are only interested in the main movie, then MakeMKV is a good option. It will create a file of the main movie without shrinking it. And you won't use as much space as the full disc since you don't want the extras.
I use the ISO format for two reasons, i want to have the option of looking at the BD menus and extra content, and I like not having to do anything but stick the disc in the drive. Which is what I do with the My Movies add IN.

I am going to be using MakeMKV for the few hundred HD DVD titles I have. But that is only because no media player plays HD DVD ISOs so I don't have a choice. But I will be storing those in an unRAID setup. I want my WHS to be mainly used for my BD ISO titles.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:56 am 

aaronwt wrote:
katpeeler wrote:

if you are only interested in the main movie, then MakeMKV is a good option. It will create a file of the main movie without shrinking it. And you won't use as much space as the full disc since you don't want the extras.
I use the ISO format for two reasons, i want to have the option of looking at the BD menus and extra content, and I like not having to do anything but stick the disc in the drive. Which is what I do with the My Movies add IN.

I am going to be using MakeMKV for the few hundred HD DVD titles I have. But that is only because no media player plays HD DVD ISOs so I don't have a choice. But I will be storing those in an unRAID setup. I want my WHS to be mainly used for my BD ISO titles.

Also, the one advantage BD Folder has over mkv (even if you want just the main movie) is forced subtitle support. Right now most players do not respect the forced subtitle flag in mkvs, and MakeMKV doesn't even flagged forced subtitles as forced

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:47 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thats alot of good info......The only thing about using MKV's right now is my PS3 doesnt support them and this is my tool for getting my streaming movies from my computer...until I save the money for a MSS......And dont want to waste the time to make 2 versions of my movies.....But since my trial is about to go out for AnyDVD I will look into MakeMKV and use BDRebuilder to shrink....

How about video/audio quality of MKV vs ISO??....any difference??.......I know my 4G ISO's are great....

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm 

katpeeler wrote:
Thats alot of good info......The only thing about using MKV's right now is my PS3 doesnt support them and this is my tool for getting my streaming movies from my computer...until I save the money for a MSS......And dont want to waste the time to make 2 versions of my movies.....But since my trial is about to go out for AnyDVD I will look into MakeMKV and use BDRebuilder to shrink....

How about video/audio quality of MKV vs ISO??....any difference??.......I know my 4G ISO's are great....

I believe BDRebuilder requires a BR structure. Does MakeMKV allow you to rip into a BR Structure (I have only ever used it to rip to an MKV which is not a BR structure). Instead you would want to use DVDFab decrypter which is free and will allow you to rip to a BR structure

No difference between mkv and ISO, they are just containers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
katpeeler wrote:

I believe BDRebuilder requires a BR structure. Does MakeMKV allow you to rip into a BR Structure (I have only ever used it to rip to an MKV which is not a BR structure). Instead you would want to use DVDFab decrypter which is free and will allow you to rip to a BR structure

No difference between mkv and ISO, they are just containers

You are correct about BDRebuilder not doing MKV...Ive been looking at so many programs I forget which is which. :crazy:
About DVDFab....I was using it but now it says that the BluRay ripper has expired....So I need to use the Free "decrypter"...and this will put out to what format??..ISO??....If not will BDRebuilder put in out in ISO container??..thanx

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:35 am 

katpeeler wrote:
You are correct about BDRebuilder not doing MKV...Ive been looking at so many programs I forget which is which. :crazy:
About DVDFab....I was using it but now it says that the BluRay ripper has expired....So I need to use the Free "decrypter"...and this will put out to what format??..ISO??....If not will BDRebuilder put in out in ISO container??..thanx

Folder structure, just like DVDFab

http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
katpeeler wrote:

Folder structure, just like DVDFab

http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm

I used DVDFab decrypter and it put it in AVCHD form and I cant get BDRebuilder to recognize...Any suggestions???

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks