It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: PP1 Friend or Foe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Information borrowed from:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/08/21 ... ct-errors/

Microsoft Investigating Power Pack 1 File Conflict Errors
Thu, Aug 21, 2008 | Bodog

A number of Windows Home Server users on WGS and Microsoft’s WHS forums are reporting a File Conflict error occuring in their WHS systems with PP1 installed.
When this occurs it has proven difficult and in some cases impossible to fix the conflict by deleting the files identified as being the cause. This error also seems to be effecting the Backup database with a Backup service is not running also being reported.
Could this be a bug introduced by PP1?

I have experienced these issues myself and found that a Server reinstall has been the only way to “fix” it - however it reoccurs. The other options appears to be to delete the Backup database which I’ve been reluctant to do and start over as it currently has over 3 months of backups in it.

If you are experiencing these issues Lara Jones of Microsoft’s Windows Home Server team has asked users to log a bug report via Connect under the WHS beta program - this is the sticky post on Microsofts Windows Home Server forums:

I would like to take this opportunity to point everyone towards the release notes for Windows Home Server Power Pack 1. This document provides helpful information regarding improvements in PP1 and known issues. In addition, WHS with PP1 is now more active in monitoring the health of your server, specifically storage. This may result in more messages from the server:

Windows Home Server proactively checks the health of all files stored in shared folders during a migration pass. If any issues are discovered, a yellow health notification is sent that contains a detailed conflict reason for each file.

That being said, we would still like to review any file conflict errors that are being reported in the forums. If you are receiving errors, please file a bug. In order for the bug to be actionable on our end, we will need the following:

1. 2 (two) screenshots of the error message. One that is right justified and one that is left justified in order to capture the entire error message so that none of the text is clipped.

2. Server CABs (you can use the toolkit found here) to obtain these. If you need to use the cheat sheet to obtain the files, it’s here.

3. Clear, and preferably enumerated repro steps.

If you are not already registered on Connect, please go here and register and then add yourself to our beta here.

Thank you for your assistance and feedback.

Lara Jones

Windows Home Server Team.

There is a thread on this issue on the WGS forums - if you are experiencing these issues head on over and let us know about it.

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm 
Founder
Founder

IMHO WHS PP1 is what WHS should have been to start with...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I totally agree. Im sorry to see so much bad press in the beginning. I really honestly think it put the market back quite a bit. the MSS could have weathered through the ram and cpu issues that people complain about because that is what technology is. something people can hack. It is this day and agees Grease monkey fad. Hopefully Microsoft and HP have some more tricks up their sleaves to spark interest. as the product is older and the bugs are fixed the market is getting quite. They missed out on all that new great product buzz do to the bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:58 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
IMHO WHS PP1 is what WHS should have been to start with...

Absolutely correct -- I just hope they don't kill either WHS or the HP EX series boxes as a result. It was a total bummer to have such lousy software mess up what should have been a great experience.

That said, it is working fine now, which is more than I can say for my iPhone!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:47 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I've had no issues so far with PP1. However, to be fair, the corruption bug pre-PP1 generally was not an issue when the device was used strictly as intended - copy your edia files and play them back or view pictures, and back up your PC. The bug only really surfaces if you used WHS as a 'regular' server and put, say, Word documents there that you actively edited.
Still, there's no way it should have made it through beta. SOMEONE must have ahd a multiple-drvie configuration with shared folders and tried that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

rrinker wrote:
Still, there's no way it should have made it through beta. SOMEONE must have ahd a multiple-drvie configuration with shared folders and tried that.

Actually, the bug was as hard to reproduce as MS (and subsequently HP stated). There were specific scenarios that were needed to be met to cause the bug. A high load on the server (massive file copy or run a client backup), edit files from your client PC that were stored on the server (lay a tag with Vista Photo Gallery on 10k photos), and be a multi-drive system. While I was able to reproduce the bug, it was not exactly easy and could be hard to find the evidence.

I'm not trying to excuse anyone (myself included) for not finding the bug, but rather provide some context.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:10 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have gotten the file conflict errors on both MSS machines I administer. I have been able to get around it. It only shows up on duplicated shares. I have created a new share and left it unduplicated. Then I copied the files from the share that was having the conflicts. Then I started duplication on the new share. This fixed some of the issues. I still get it a bit here and there, but i have not lost any data to it. I suspect it is a reporting error more than an actual file conflict.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]