It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello--

So, I ran the HP update yesterday and installed PVconnect and McAfee. Now it is almost impossible to run the Console program without it crashing. Maybe I'll get to click through to a tab after like a 5 min. wait, but then it will be another few minutes before the arrow is clickable again. Often, it will just give me the "not responding" Any ideas? Do I need more RAM?

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:13 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You have more than 512MB of memory, don't you? If not, that could be your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:13 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Best thing to do would be to RDP onto the server and look at task manager and see whats consuming processor and/or ram. General concensus here will be more RAM anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:49 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the replies, but after logging in, there aren't any crazy processes. I haven't upgraded my RAM, but it's not maxed out--115K free. Maybe that's still not enough. . .

I also went ahead and installed PP1, but it's now even harder to get the Console Manager to work. At one point, I got a pop up message telling me that my version of Connect is not valid, and I need to install the new one. It said "click here," but nothing happened. Any ideas how to upgrade the connect software on a Client computer without any access to the Console? Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:51 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

You can download the connector from the server via http://hpserver:55000/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm also on PP1 and didn't have the beta code installed prior to that - so this is as close to factory as it can be.
After pp1 install, the console is noticeably slower. Used to be very fast. Nothing going on in the server at the time - no sharing, no backing up, etc. No reason for the console to be this slow. Everything else, like media sharing if I try it, is as fast as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I can't really compare as I've got the RAM upgrade in and haven't seen a drop in performance.

From a 1.3 perspective, I would expect that putting PVConnect and McAfee would draw more resources which won't help on a 512MB system. McAfee on mine is drawing >50MB of RAM

As for PP1, I can't run a side by side comparison I'm afraid.

Post subject: Still no dice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks, Cougar--I reinstalled the Connector software, and got rid of the yellow warning--it's all green now. However, it still takes forever to log in to the console--after quite a long time, it just turns solid blue. I've tried running it right off the server by logging in remotely, and it's taking about 4-5 min., and then I can't click on anything with the arrow. Is it possible that one of my add-ins, like webguide, or one of the new ones I just installed is corrupting it? Is it safe to just go in and remove programs on the server using add/remove? Thanks. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:31 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

You can, but you may get some weird results. I'd be more inclined to kill the McAfee process, and any other high ram users before getting drastic though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:42 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Cougar wrote:
I can't really compare as I've got the RAM upgrade in and haven't seen a drop in performance.

I've also got the RAM upgrade, as well as the CPU upgrade and have had them for months.
This new console is just slower...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I had that exact problem where the console would time out to a blue/green desktop background screen and that's it. After the updates yesterday, I haven't noticed any problem like that so far. It seems like the updates did the opposite for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:26 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am experiencing similar issues, again I have a Stock EX475 with only new HDD added to bring me up to 3 TB of storage space (2 new 1TB western digital drives in Bay 3 & 4).

What I think is definately happening besides the memory limitations so the Base OS is heavily using the swap disk space on drive C is that not only is the virus scanner now working... But with PV Connect and it trying to build its internal database for video, photos and music it is kicking up the virus scanner...

So in my scenario, as it traverse's the HDD to map this information for PV Connect my CPU is running on average over 50% usage. But mind you, it is going through 56 GB of music, 32 GB of photographs, and about 184 GB of converted video files stored in the video folder....

I think until PV connect has its database built, neither it nor McAfee are going to be happy and whacking the crap out of my system so the server console is going to react way slow and more.

I don't know if I should have done this, but after installing PVconnect i was waiting for my console window to close... After it didn't for about 10 minutes I forced it out. Tried reconnecting and it wouldn't left it there for 10 minutes again... Closed it out, still the same... RDP'd into the console and monitored the performance and noticed it was doing this "stuff"... But to ease my mind, I restarted the server (making it shut down the components and after all these updates and installs.

after it restarted I could get into the console after giving it some time, but yet those HDD are getting beat to poop!

Anyone have any thoughts regarding my philosophy regarding slowness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Your theory sounds like the basis for lack of ram :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

That's an idea....

I did the RAM upgrade, and updated the virtual memory to the settings that were recommended for 2 gig of ram. But, perhaps it needs even more?

And why do I have PVConnect installed, when I don't have any media devices at the moment? What's it doing for me? Is it getting album covers or something behind the scenes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:50 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yeah... maybe a fair statement, but I'm not ready yet to risk the changes to the internals of the system.... The hardware means much more to me than tinkering around inside the beast... and if HP meant to have it upgradable then they wouldn't have hid the memory so much....

I'll give it some time before I really give up hope and upgrade the ram... I'm hopeful that my philosophy holds true!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next