It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:28 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Geez, I hate the McAFee plug-in. I tried it, found it taking up too much CPU even after a week, and uninstalled it.

Meantime, McAFee already wants me to pay them for keeping it running. Bloatware anyone?

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:51 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I too received my request for payment in my e-mail although the addin was uninstalled weeks ago. The strategy seems to be to make people pay before they notice what a piece of crap the addin is and that one really does not need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:19 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Same here. I installed the McAfee addin during the 1.2 update and uninstalled it a couple of days later when I realized what a pig it was. I'm now getting emails from McAfee that my subscription is expiring. McAfee won't be getting any money from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:38 pm 

What Anti Virus software would you recommend for WHS (I currently run Norton 360 on my PC and don't plan on renewing the McAFee plugin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:23 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

NOT TRUE...

I think it's a canned text message that normally gets sent out as normal OOB products come with a 30 day trial...

IF you login to your McAfee page or look at the console, it is still good until Sometime in February! I recieved this too, but the Console and the web pages both still say I'm good for another few months...

I believe the reason why we are getting this is because we haven't technically "purchased" the full year license... Thus 30 days, plus no purchased means that normal users are eligible for a message.

I don't think its bloat ware or anything, I just think its bad on the team who developed the automated message for not looking at your online account!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

dbone1026 wrote:
What Anti Virus software would you recommend for WHS (I currently run Norton 360 on my PC and don't plan on renewing the McAFee plugin)

I am running the beta version of F-Secure and am quite pleased with it. Do not know what the "real" cost will be though.

My clients are locked up pretty tight and, to be honest, F-Secure really has not found anything, making me wonder if it would be worth much expense to purchase anything. But paranoia will likely cause me to cough up some cash eventually!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:30 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I also received an email a couple days ago saying my subscription is about to expire. It's supposed to last 7 months!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]