It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi. PP1 will not install on my MSS. I get an error message saying that the language of Windows I have is incompatible with PP1. Indeed (and much to my chagrin) I received a French version of Windows with my machine. Does anyone know how I can get around this problem or get an english version of Windows Home Server 2003 (without having to buy a new one that is?)

Thanks,

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:47 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Not sure on replacing the French version with English, maybe a call to HP?

The French version of PP1 is released on 4th August though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:44 am 

Hi,

I would be interested to do the same, I have a french one and prefer english for OS. Let me know if you manage to find a way to do it.

Regarding PP1, I was able to install the english version on my french by playing with the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Nls\Language

changing InstallLanguage to 409, doing install and changing back to 40c.

Warning: mixing language like this could break stuff, however I prefer breaking some applications than corrupting my data. So far, no problem with this setup, but I can't promise it doesn't have any nasty side effects.

LeTama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:49 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have the French version for 4 months now and it works as perfectly as the English version I had before.

That being said, I was told by HP that it was not possible to replace the English version with a series of French disks. I guess it is the same the other way around, like you would like to. I was told to contact the seller, which I did. Well the seller told me I had to return the whole machine to replace it with a French model (it is the exact same machine, except for the system software), I didn't do that. So I went to the store, they happened to have a French machine and wanted themselves to hold an English version. The exchange of disks was quite easy.

So I guess you'll have to try with stores or return the French machine for a new English one.

I'll wait t'ill the 4th of August for PP1.

Edit: Besides all this I would advise that the language of your MSS matches the one of the computers on your network. Read the two last paragraphs of a former message here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:44 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This whole language business is ridiculous. Users should have a choice of languages when they buy their machines regardless of where they buy them from (that was the case with the Dell I bought in France for instance with a Qwerty keyboard and English Windows). Thanks HP for assuming I don't know what "save" means and thinking I really need it to be spelled out as "sauvegarder". Thanks as well for the "Administrator" becoming "Administrateur" (but without any documentation that this is the case) and the itunes server not functioning due to language bugs. Note that I have always seen language related bugs in every product I have seen out there. Finally it's great to have to call customer support in the US (can't send an email) and try to find bogus translations matching their explanations.

I think I can speak enough english to operate an MSS and it just escapes me as to why you would ever want another language installed on this machine (bought for US$900 equivalent in France)... But again thanks HP for your assumptions about me...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

tmontana wrote:
This whole language business is ridiculous. Users should have a choice of languages when they buy their machines regardless of where they buy them from (that was the case with the Dell I bought in France for instance with a Qwerty keyboard and English Windows). Thanks HP for assuming I don't know what "save" means and thinking I really need it to be spelled out as "sauvegarder". Thanks as well for the "Administrator" becoming "Administrateur" (but without any documentation that this is the case) and the itunes server not functioning due to language bugs. Note that I have always seen language related bugs in every product I have seen out there. Finally it's great to have to call customer support in the US (can't send an email) and try to find bogus translations matching their explanations.

I think I can speak enough english to operate an MSS and it just escapes me as to why you would ever want another language installed on this machine (bought for US$900 equivalent in France)... But again thanks HP for your assumptions about me...

Actually pretty much all your complaints (except iTunes and the support issues) are WHS-specific and not HP, I'd recommend filing a Connect bug to provide feedback to Microsoft about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:30 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks Yakuza. Will do that. In the meantime, August 4th has come and gone and as far as I know there is still no PP1 in French. Anyone has info to the contrary? thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well, I asked the question in the WHS forum. The answer is 6th or 7th of August, see it here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the update

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]