It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Un-install McAfee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:43 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok, a bit of a newbie question......
I've had enough of McAfee and I'm planning on replacing it with Avast.
Since I have not un-installed any software on the MSS before, I wanted to make sure I got it uninstalled properly.

I *assume* I will do it from the Console's Add-In tab and that's it.
Will that clean it out all together?
Any other way this should be done or anything else I need to do?

Cheers/ Carl

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:31 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

That is an excellent question. If this were Norten, I would say it is time for server recovery. With McAfee I do not know. I see leftovers from McAfee all over the place. So I, too, would be interested to know whether these interfere with server operation in any way.

Post subject: McAfee issues
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:05 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I keep getting McAfee error messages and now it tells me that it hasn't updated for 1 week and locks up my home server console. So far I am not impressed with McAfee at all. If I have to restore my server again I will be very upset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Can you do it through an RDP session rather than the console? I still have it sitting there as an unistalled add-in. I think it's a bit rude that you get a Yellow warning you need to "Ignore" when not installing the program as it supposedly places the server at risk. Give me a break!

I have never been impressed with MacAfee. I went straight to aVast when they released their virus scanner for WHS months ago. All the PC's I have at home are on the free Home version and I paid for the WHS version. So for under $50 I have server monitored protection for all PC's on the home network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Since you haven't installed it yet you can just move the TopWHSaddin.msi file from the add-ins folder and you will no longer be bothered with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:57 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you uninstalled it but it seem to still be running, you could RDP in, right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then expand the Services part of the tree. Find the McAfee services and stop them, and then set them to disabled.

--Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

FrostByte wrote:
Since you haven't installed it yet you can just move the TopWHSaddin.msi file from the add-ins folder and you will no longer be bothered with it.

Sorry should have been clearer. I realise I can delete the add-in since I didn't install it. It just annoyed me a bit that it gave the warning.

The RDP question/suggestion was in response to the uninstall not working fully from the console for one of the other posters. Is there any difference between uninstalling apps through the console and uninstalling via RDP? Do they use the same uninstall routines or is the uninstall via RDP and Control Panel better than the WHS Console?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ahh, I got you now ;) My wife usually has to explain things to me at least twice also. From my experience add-ins should always be uninstalled from the console first if you can do it that way so that it can uninstall the WHS stuff also. If you use the control panel sometimes it leaves traces of itself within the console still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

rwkrajewski wrote:
FrostByte wrote:

Sorry should have been clearer. I realise I can delete the add-in since I didn't install it. It just annoyed me a bit that it gave the warning.

The warning is a new 'feature' of WHS placed there by Microsoft in PP1. This warning will appear for ANY add-in installation file (*.msi) placed into the Add-Ins folder and is not specific to McAfee or created by McAfee.

Hope this clarifies things somewhat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

tojofi wrote:
rwkrajewski wrote:
FrostByte wrote:

The warning is a new 'feature' of WHS placed there by Microsoft in PP1. This warning will appear for ANY add-in installation file (*.msi) placed into the Add-Ins folder and is not specific to McAfee or created by McAfee.

Hope this clarifies things somewhat.

OK

I wasn't aware it happens with all add-ins now. I was intending to look into McAfee once my Avast subscription ran out, but I'm happy so far with Avast. I guess I'll review other user experiences next year before I make a decision to switch or just renew Avast.

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]