It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: "VOLSNAP" failed.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Interesting . . . .

After installing pp1 and 1.3, I was looking thru the event log.

I see an error message stating that a process called "VOLSNAP" had failed to create a snapshot on d: because of a server overload i/o.

I am sure this is because of all the churning the hd does after those updates.

QUESTION IS . . . . This process has to do with SHADOW COPIES, and I didn't think those were used or implemented in WHS.

WHY is it trying to create a snapshot if shadow copies aren't turned on or aren't implemented????????????

I'm finding more and more quirks with PP1 (or maybe its HP 1.3?)

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Here is the specific error.

Time-out errors occur in Volume Shadow Copy service writers, and shadow copies are lost during backup and during times when there are high levels of input/output

as stated in the event log.

This is correlated to a microsoft kb.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826936/en-us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Shadow Copies have been running in my OEM WHS for over a year with no problems, but the MSS does not have shadow copies and I have been running PP1 since it started and now RTM with Shadows diabled. Don't know how they were enabled on your MSS. Is there any Shadow GB shown on the disk management add-in?

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:18 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

erail wrote:
Shadow Copies have been running in my OEM WHS for over a year with no problems, but the MSS does not have shadow copies and I have been running PP1 since it started and now RTM with Shadows diabled. Don't know how they were enabled on your MSS. Is there any Shadow GB shown on the disk management add-in?

I am running MediaSmartServer . . . not OEM WHS

There is no reference to Shadow Copies that I can see. This only happened after I installed both updates . . . .

What gave that error, then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I run an MSS as well as the OEM and on the disk management add in it specifies the GB used by Shadows in the lower right hand corner. If Shadows are disabled it should say 0 GB for each disk.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:07 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Volsnap issues have existed from the very beginning with the MSS. I have had a Volsnap error every few days on both the initial and OEM repaired system. The error always reports that the 'Flush & Hold' had to be aborted due to low system memory.

Every so often this error causes the Sys volume to go bad and require a repair operation to be initiated.

I would have thought that HP Update 1.3, or PP1 would have fixed this, but it appears not.

It looks like it's going to be one of those 'features' we have to live with. Once mine is out of warranty - assuming it doesn't fail in warranty again - then I'll add the 2GB RAM stick and see if the error goes away permanently.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]