It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I installed the RTM PP1 update today and that seemed to go well. However, now all 3 client machines show "Network at Risk" and that I need to update the connectors. Sounds good...

They link me to http://HOMESERVER:55000 and a small connector package ("WHSConnectorInstall.exe") is downloadable from there. Upon running this package, it finds the home server and gets to 100% on the "Downloading Software" screen. At the point it hits 100% it immediately errors and says "Home Server Mini Setup has stopped working." If I click "View problem details" I get the following:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WHSConnectorInstall.exe
Application Version: 6.0.1800.0
Application Timestamp: 48791434
Fault Module Name: StackHash_ab5b
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000b015d
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ab5b
Additional Information 2: 6bdb2500ea39ef96c64bd403f0060261
Additional Information 3: c531
Additional Information 4: 11f665970b420663bf2e1d3475b16bda

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

This happens exactly the same on the two Vista machines I am attempting to install it on. I have searched on the internet and not found anything relevant and it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this issue. I saw one post recommending cold booting the network switch/router. I have done this and it did not help.

I have seen that I can install from the Software share if I uninstall the connector first. But I am concerned about whether the existing backups will be retained if I do so?

Some notes:

- I have not installed any of the various beta versions of PP1
- One of the Vista clients has SP1 and the other does not
- Both Vista clients are 32 bit
- I am not running any additional addins other than what the HP comes with
- I am using the "Run as Administrator" option when running the update

Thanks!!!

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

I found this on the WHS forums:
Quote:
All the crashes we investigated so far are caused by a known issue in NVIDIA firewall (nvappfilter.dll). Nothing we can do, please update your drivers to the latest version or uninstall the firewall.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHome ... &SiteID=50

Could this be the issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I saw that topic, but I'm not running 64 bit and neither machine has an Nvidia graphics driver. Is that what they're referring to by "NVIDIA firewall"?

I'm only using the Vista firewall (and hardware firewalls in my router).

One is a desktop with an ATI graphics card and the other is a notebook using the Intel 965 Express chipset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can read about the firewall here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html

I'd make sure the system doesn't have an Nvidia chipset motherboard, if so try upgrading the drivers. Otherwise, file a bug on Connect and hope MS has another solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
You can read about the firewall here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html

I'd make sure the system doesn't have an Nvidia chipset motherboard, if so try upgrading the drivers. Otherwise, file a bug on Connect and hope MS has another solution.

Hmmmm...

They are both Intel based chipset motherboards, so I don't know what would be using Nvidia.

Shoot... wish I hadn't updated yet. I debated about it, but decided to do it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:36 pm 
Founder
Founder

The only other idea I have is to try to uninstall and reinstall PP1, perhaps the software on the server share is corrupted?

Have you tried it without Run As Administrator? Shouldn't matter, but you never know since it's on a network resource.

Last idea for now, do you have any other firewall installed, like OneCare?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

poddie wrote:
I have seen that I can install from the Software share if I uninstall the connector first. But I am concerned about whether the existing backups will be retained if I do so?

I too run Vista and had a couple of small issues updating the connector.

I've upgraded the existing connector using the http://HOMESERVER:55000 link as well as running the setup.exe directly. I've also completed an uninstall and then installed a clean install using both methods. In none of the upgrades or clean installs have my backups been affected.

I'd suggest completing an uninstall, rebooting the computer and then installing a clean copy of the connector software.

P.S. Regarding 'Run as administrator', I've installed without using this setting and with using this setting. Doesn't appear to make a difference but then my account is in the administrator group but is not THE administrator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I believe it is running as Admin whther I tell it to or not, as the Admin shield is over the icon and it prompts for permission either way.

No software firewalls other than Vista's built-in.

As tojofi says that backups should be unaffected by uninstalling the Home Server client completely and reinstalling, I will try this method... that was my only concern with it.

Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate the troubleshooting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:14 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just to update...

I uninstalled the connector fully on one of the machines and WAS able to use the full install from the Software share to get the client up to the current version.

All backups DO appear to still be in place.

No idea why the update doesn't work but it looks like this will get me back up and running. Thanks again for the help guys!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]