It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just FYI -- HP released a statement on the resource issue around the update.
http://mswhs.com/2008/07/29/hp-statement-on-mediasmart-performance-after-software-update/

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just installed the Community Feeds for Windows Home Server Add-in. Now, when I try to open the console, I just get a blue screen for the console. Any advice?

The server appears to be healthy. I can go to the server using remote desktop connection but the console does not work. Should I go to the server and uninstall this add-in, or is there a way to get it to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:14 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have had a couple of times adding and removeing add-ons were something like this has happened.

It has been my experiance that restarting the MMS solves 90% of all problems.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Restarting my server fixed the blue screen console problem. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:02 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Greetings,

Since I installed the PP1 update I have not had any success using the console. Based on the advice on this thread, I have upgraded my RAM to 2 GB. I have also (just today) added a pagefile to the d drive, and upped the page file size to an absurd size (8-10 MB on C, 8-16MB on D) and still improvement. In the console if I click on something it MAY come back in several days. PV Connect had run through its cycle and that still did not alleviate the problem (although now it seems like it is rebuilding the DB again? Does it rebuild everytime you reboot?) My backups are all failing at 69% on one machine, 74 % on the other consistently (examining clusters that have changed). I had to rebuild the server recently when I did the pp1 install, and have 3 add ins, PV Connect, Drive Monitor and tool kit. In task manager the WNCCDS.exe and Twonky are the processes using the most cpu, but the cpu usage is running about 20-50%. I really like the idea of using Twonky as it supprots a lot more files, but if its going to tank the server its not worth keeping.

Has anybody with a similar problem had any success in fixing it?

Thanks

Malcolm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:24 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

A giant page file isn't going to help you. With 2Gb RAM, 3072 or so is a perfectly fine page file size. And whiel conventional wisdom is to put a page file on a second physical disk for performance reasons, I dunno about putting oen on the D drive of WHS. The D drive isn't exactly like a 'regular' disk volume due to the Drive Extender and that is probably jsut asking for trouble. Check your performance in task manager, if it's responding slowly then somethign is eating up CPU and/or RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

Indeed, having a page file on D: is a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Malsnake:

I was having some issues connecting through the console (was just taking forever) even after upgrading my ram. Also streaming had become very very slow. What fixed the problem for me was a server recovery. After the recovery I installed PV connect but did not install McAffee, preffering to install Avast instead. Things are running a lot better now and connection to the console is quite snappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:26 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

tmontana wrote:
Malsnake:

I was having some issues connecting through the console (was just taking forever) even after upgrading my ram. Also streaming had become very very slow. What fixed the problem for me was a server recovery. After the recovery I installed PV connect but did not install McAffee, preffering to install Avast instead. Things are running a lot better now and connection to the console is quite snappy.

I have read post somewere that if your server is running slow and you are having trouble connecting it could be because the logs are full and need to be cleared.

I think that you can use the toolkit add-on or got to the file directly.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:56 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

CBick wrote:
I have read post somewere that if your server is running slow and you are having trouble connecting it could be because the logs are full and need to be cleared.

I think that you can use the toolkit add-on or got to the file directly.

That could be but I've only had my mss for 3 months. That's a lot of logs for such a short period of time. Worth a try anyhow before attempting a server recovery which does take a fair bit of time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4