It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Back to Normal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I uninstalled PVconnect and McAfee and now things are pretty much back to normal. What a drag. . .PVconnect said it had indexed all my music, but the console was unusable. . .who knows what the true deal is. Maybe I'll wait for the next update, or get some balls and update the ram!

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 am 
Bonhomme

After the update my HP was not to good, so I did a complet reinstall.
did the windows update and then the HP update.
install the PVconnect and then the McAfee and activated it.
than I install my musique (music), vidéos (videos) and photos.
Now it is fine and just have 512mb.
in the future I will install 2g mb.

Sorry for my english but the french part of me take over some times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you have 512MB, then that's definately the problem. There's no way around it and there's no harm in upgrading the ram. Just install the old stick if you ever have to send it in for repair. If you use it for more than just regular ol' backups, you'll need a ram upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:26 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'll agree that 512MB is not enough if you want to run McAfee & PVConnect.

I installed both add-ins on my stock EX475 only to see the console become completely unusable. Even after leaving it for 24 hours to complete the indexing. I was not able to launch the console at all.

I ended up using using remote desktop to get onto the server and then launching the console from there in order to get access to the Settings page & removed PVConnect and McAfee. I then rebooted the server and all returned to a usable state!

I will be getting the 2GB of memory now.

--- Something to think about ---

:? I wonder if new shipments of MSS that include PP1 & HP1.3 will include 1GB or more of memory ???? It's kinda hard for HP to sell a product that in it's shipping spec cannot run all of the included software. Just a thought :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:31 pm 

I also experienced this problem after finalizing the McAfee downolad portion of the upgrade. Once I was able to get back in via the console window (slow process), I removed McAfee and all is well again. Don't know if this is coincidence but I am now running again. FYI, I have updated processor and 1GB of ram in an EX470.

Post subject: Re: Back to Normal
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 pm 

Crawdaddy wrote:
I uninstalled PVconnect and McAfee and now things are pretty much back to normal.

Just wanted you to know that same thing happened here. I have a 512MB MediaSmart (2x512GB model). Installed the PP1 RTM, then the HP update. Did not install the McAffee, but did install PVConnect. Console isntantly miserably slow. Reboot didn't help. Uninstalled PVConnect, rebooted the WHS, and all is well again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You should read the forum and you might see that letting PVConnect "do it's thing" first, then everything will return to normal. It's indexing all the media files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:22 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

512 MB is truly not enough RAM to run the apps included with the HP 1.3 update. My server ended up swapping all the time. Therefore, and for other reasons, I deinstalled both add-ins. The question remaining is why HP delivers software that they know cannot be handled by their stock server. And if I remember correctly, the RAM upgrade is not officially supported and will void my warranty. Correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:51 am 
Founder
Founder

revengineer wrote:
And if I remember correctly, the RAM upgrade is not officially supported and will void my warranty. Correct?

COrrect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:18 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It will void your warranty, but what good is the machine if it can't run what I want it to? So if you ever need to send it back, reinstall the old stick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:14 am 

Crawdaddy wrote:
Hello--
Now it is almost impossible to run the Console program without it crashing...

I had the same problem but fixed it by uninstalling the McAffee add-in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 pm 

The recent HP update automatically installed on my machine, and I experienced the same console problems everyone has been compliaing about. I uninstalled PVconnect and McAfee using the Add Ins tab, and performance returned to normal. I don't think I need these, so I plan to leave them uninstalled. However, now the console always says "balancing storage" at the bottom. This is surprising since I have only one drive right now. Can anyone explain this?

I do want to add drives, but have been unwilling to do so until the bug fix was released since I do directly access the drive for all my files and my Outlook post office. Can anyone tell me how can I determine if PP1 has been sucessfully installed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

First off, how much ram do you have?
Secondly, how soon after you installed it did you uninstall it? Those programs will run some stuff before it settles down. Leave it overnight to do it's thing. Same with the balancing storage. Just leave it alone for a day.
You can remote in to the desktop and check out "add/remove programs" in the control panel, put a checkmark in "show updates", and you'll see where it says "windows home server PP1".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 pm 

I only have the stock 512MB. I really don't mind not having the two add ins. All my media streaming needs are being met with the stock software, I haven't configured it for remote access, and I have the virus scanner on my main PC configured to scan the network drive.

The console has said "balancing storage" for five days now, and I don't think there's any storage to balance since I only have one drive in the server so far. Other than that indication on the console window, everything seems to be working as well as ever.

My bigger concern is knowing that the bug fix for the file corruption problem has been sucessfully installed so I can add another disk without having to worry about the bug corrupting my e-mail post office. How can I tell if that update took?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Scouter wrote:

My bigger concern is knowing that the bug fix for the file corruption problem has been sucessfully installed so I can add another disk without having to worry about the bug corrupting my e-mail post office. How can I tell if that update took?

Thanks for your help.

From the console, go to settings and then resources. It will say Power pack 1 on the top line if you have it. Also, all the version information will show 6.0.1800.0.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next