It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My WHS (Mediasmart EX475) with 4 x 500GB Segate drives seems to have "lost" the system drive from the storage pool. I have 3 drives recognised and 1 that needs to be added. I try and add it and it fails however it has 20GB space used already so I'm assuming that this was the sysmte drive. None of the drives has the little Windows logo to indicate that I have a system drive which is strange but the WHS box is running fine. Shall I just ignore the issue or is this an indication of something more serious?

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 am 
Founder
Founder

This isn't good... :( Can you say exactly when this occurred, was right after the reboot following installation of PP1? If so, I would log a Connect bug for sure, and make sure to submit the CAB file number.

Do you do any other changes? Add any drives, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Agreed, this is not good :( . It would be very helpful to understand the steps you took leading up to this behavior.

Also, what does the LEDs indicate? Are they Blue or Purple? Did you try to load the HP Patch 1.3 (or 1.2) - which is not released and highly discouraged from loading.

Anything that you can provide to help reproduce this behavior would be helpful.

Any comments provided are my own and are not that of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll submit a bug report tonight when I get in from work.
The only different thing I have done is to plug in an external Western Digital Passport 250GB drive to the front USB connector of the HP EX470 to see how PP1 backs up the WHS box. That's when I noticed in Server Storage that the system drive was no longer there. All the 4 drive lights are blue. No warnings from the connector and everything works so far as I can see. V. Strange?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:49 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorry Bikealot - I haven't installed the HP patch that I'm aware of. I noticed an update install about a month ago that updated my Vista Ultimate SP1 client but I'm 99.9% positive that the "big" 182MB HP update has not installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:00 am 
Founder
Founder

Definitely log a Connect bug, and be sure to capture the CAB number as this is a concerning failure. A question, was anything on that external drive? Had it been used with WHS before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Pixelation wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll submit a bug report tonight when I get in from work.
The only different thing I have done is to plug in an external Western Digital Passport 250GB drive to the front USB connector of the HP EX470 to see how PP1 backs up the WHS box. That's when I noticed in Server Storage that the system drive was no longer there. All the 4 drive lights are blue. No warnings from the connector and everything works so far as I can see. V. Strange?

Pixelation,
Here is another thought. WHS does not like it when you boot up the server with more than one OS installed on the system.

When you added the USB drive to the system, did you immediately add it to the storage pool as a "backup HDD", or is it just there to be used later. Does the problem go away when you unplug the USB backup HDD and reboot the server?

Any comments provided are my own and are not that of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Logged the bug on Connect last night.
The WD Passport drive does have some files on it but not any OS files. I was going to add it as a backup for the WHS itself but it didn't have enough room so I skipped it. That's when I noticed that the System drive had "disappeared". I have removed the WD passport drive and rebooted the EX470 but still the system drive appeares in the Non Storage Drives area. At this stage I'm not really concerned as the unit is working fine - just htink that it's got it's knickers in a twist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorry Yakuza - yes it was used with WHS before. I had taken a backup of my Dell PE830 when I was beta testing WHS so I could transfer all my files to the EX470 once it was bought. File transfer was just a drag and drop from the file shares on WHS via Windows Explorer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:13 am 
Founder
Founder

Pixelation wrote:
Sorry Yakuza - yes it was used with WHS before. I had taken a backup of my Dell PE830 when I was beta testing WHS so I could transfer all my files to the EX470 once it was bought. File transfer was just a drag and drop from the file shares on WHS via Windows Explorer.

We've seen issues with re-using WHS drives (see my sticky post in Troubleshooting forum), but usually only when you reuse a system drive not a general pool drive. I'd probably recommend a Server Recovery at some point, as the OS is obviously not happy (knickers in a twist :lol: ). Let us know how it works out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:33 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi guys,

Reported the bug on Connect. MS came back and said that it was somethign to do with an Add-In called Disk Manager which I had tested but removed. They sent me a couple of registry changes to make and volia it works fine. Cool! I even got invited to beta test Build 1776 for my efforts!

Thanks again for your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

Great to hear it's an easy fix, and thanks for following up to let us know the resolution!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:44 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have recently heard about problems with Disk Manager and uninstalled it based on the author's advice. I had NOT heard that there may be "residual problems" after it was removed though.

Could you post the registry changes in case others run into the same situation? If you do I will cross-post (or link) it in a couple other places. Thanks in advance...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Post subject: REply as requested:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Here we go:

On the server, run the following two commands in a cmd prompt:

1:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\81ad0726-0000-0000-0000-000000000000\Attributes" /v QRole /t REG_DWORD /d 1

2:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\81ad0726-0000-0000-0000-000000000000\Attributes" /v ManufactureName /t REG_SZ /d "System Disk"

For #2, you can replace System Disk with whatever he wants to show up in the storage tab for that disk, as long as he keeps everything else the same.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]