It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:20 pm 
Mr. XXX

Has anyone tried this? Im gonna try to backup the shared folders to an external USB HD but I wanted to know if once I select the folders to backup, will it allow me to save the database over several hard drives......

what I wanted to do is connect a SATA USB docking station to the MSS, and backup that way...then Ill take the hard drives and store them away....,

So I figured if I was able to do them over several hard drives, I can use a few of my 500 GB HDs

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:37 pm 
Founder
Founder

Cougar did an awesome job documenting this on the Wiki, I hope it helps.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... wer_Pack_1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:01 pm 
Mr. XXX

You are right...thanks Cougar...that was awesome...
Doing my fist backup now.....

But it looks like you have to specify what shared folders you want to save to what hard drive. Another workds, you cant just say BACKUP and tell your MSS how many drives you want to use to backup...you have to specify what hard drives to use for what shared files...

But thats cool......

Thanks again

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:53 am 

Does anyone know what to do if your share is bigger than your backup drive? I have 3x1TB drives that can be used for backup but I have a DVD share that is 1.5TB which of course will not fit on a single backup drive. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will I need to break my single DVD share into multiple shares?

Thanks,
Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just had a strange one when trying to do my first server backup.

First I connect my brand new WDC My Book 1TB Home Edition. Ask it to format for server backup and named it WHS-SA2 (for Windows Home Server - Storage Archive 2).

After done which I do not recall it formatting quite completely... It then returned to the screen with the drive as a non-available HDD! :?

So I added it asking it this time not to destroy any of the conents and poof added.

So then I started to do the backup process and stepped out of the room for 2 seconds... Come back in and according to WD my drive was in power-standby state and my backup was having issues! :x

I stopped the process and tried to disconnect the drive but it was out of the server storage folder still doing its flashing bit.

So I connected it to my main PC which sits right next to it and I see the contents have begun. Now I know that the 413.5 GB of Storage space will not meet the space limitations of the 1TB drive I bought so strange... I disconnected it from my desktop by ejecting it kindly and all looks well!

Reconnect it to the server's front port which it was last time (for convenience as I am only going to use this drive for archiving) and the server recognizes it this time. :wink: Cool!

So I go ahead and decide to try to format it.... Yeup formats, and goes directly into the storage array as a backup drive. 8) Sweet... We're looking good... For safety I ask it to remove the backup drive from the storage and it goes to the non-storage section and I can re-add it....

So I gave it another try, this time I go in and after adding it do the backup process and it's finally chugging away at my 4GB iso images for family films I have archived. We're at 3% and all is well.... :)

Anyone have any ideas why this might have occured? What made it abnormally send this to the weird state... Is it my WD drive? What are others using? Should I have been concerned after trying to format it the first time with no success? Have others gone through this process and had any luck?

Some watercooler thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Of course we'll be keeping a close eye on this HDD!

BTW- the WDC My Book and Server are connected to the same 1250 Battery backup exclusively so there's not like a power issue as the UPS is working just fine.

Thanks again in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Adding/removing drives "hot" seems to always be prone to sporadic problems and the MSS evidently is not immune to it. It will be interesting to see what others have to say about their experiences.

On a different note (but not to hijack the thread): I would like to hear your experiences with the MyBook. What model did you get and how hot does it run? I almost bought one yesterday but held off when I read several reviews with complaints about the heat. Then, today, I see Seagate 1TB derives on sale for $109 -- WD drives are likely going to drop quickly so I decided to procrastinate a few weeks. But I really do need to pick up a couple new external drives. (My old ones are IDE and 250GB units -- they don't hold everything any more!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:59 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey John... Thanks for the feedback...

And as for the WD Mybooks... I can't complain... yes they do throw some heat from the top, but overall I have had no luck *knocks for real safety lea-way*.... I tried a Seagate, and talkinga bout heat... I know why the drive is encapsulated in a metal case that whole case becomes hot and I don't like the way you have to switch the base to get the other connectors.... Moving on to trying another department sale, we picked up another manufacturers that was on sale that week, and that one kept giving me issues.... I know own about 5 different editions of the WD series USB's from passports to the old my books... This one is the Home edition as I wanted the ESATA capability for faster transferrs if they ever do become more widely spread as i know the MSS has the ports... If I were to suggest any I'd personally say WD as the drives run strong and forever, plus I like the stacking capabilities... Essentials good, and a bit cheaper but the Home offers you quite a bit more... I basically buy them and wipe the FAT converting them to NTFS so they support large files. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:20 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

My father in law owns about 20 of them.

I own 2 USB 500gb essential editions & 1 SATA 500gb home edition.

I like the way the WD's spin down and go to sleep when not in use.

I also have 2 Iomega 360Gb (actually Seagate in an iomega shell)

They spin constantly unless turned off & stay about twice as hot as the WD's

Heat was one of the things that I never even thought about until i started reading posts at this forum.

If I would have known then what I know now I would have just cracked open the Iomega's and popped them in the MMS when I got it.

For some reason I hadn't realized that an external HD was just an everyday HD in a shell.

I opened one up today and was suprised to find the Seagate HD in it. :shock:

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:29 pm 

I had understood that with PP1 I could backup to another server device on my network. In my case I would like to use an older Buffalo Terastation as a backup drive.

I saw the note about Cougar's Wiki that describes defining and using a "Non-Storage Drive". I went to the "Server Storage" tab and could not find that category of drive. I assume from his discussion it is a USB drive that the WHS recognizes and displays it on that page.

How does one define and use a server on the network?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:19 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

When the Western Digital EXTERNAL drives go on sale or clearance,
I just buy them, or take them out of the shell and use them as internal drives. I found the 1TB WD drives on sale (external). They were CHEAPER than the internals, so you know what route I went there.

CBick wrote:
My father in law owns about 20 of them.

I own 2 USB 500gb essential editions & 1 SATA 500gb home edition.

I like the way the WD's spin down and go to sleep when not in use.

I also have 2 Iomega 360Gb (actually Seagate in an iomega shell)

They spin constantly unless turned off & stay about twice as hot as the WD's

Heat was one of the things that I never even thought about until i started reading posts at this forum.

If I would have known then what I know now I would have just cracked open the Iomega's and popped them in the MMS when I got it.

For some reason I hadn't realized that an external HD was just an everyday HD in a shell.

I opened one up today and was suprised to find the Seagate HD in it. :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]