It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: PowerPack 1 forum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:26 am 
Founder
Founder

Due to the likelyhood of PP1 discussions crossing boundaries between hardware, software, troubleshooting, bugs, general discussion, etc, I thought it was best to create a specific forum to cover PowerPack 1.

Please keep all PP1-specific discussions here, until PP1 is released and more fully mainstream.

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:36 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

OK, I'll start the discussion here...

PP1 Installation

I decided to be a risk-taker in spite of saying several times around here that I wouldn't any more. I uninstalled ALL Add-Ins, including F-Secure and GridJunction, as well as the PerfectDick 2008 application. Then I waited for DEMIGRATOR to be inactive (no balancing), restarted my MSS, opened an RDP session, waited for DEMIGRATOR to stop and restarted a second time. (Y'all know I preach paranoia being a "good" thing around computers, right?)

Opened the RDP session again and moved the install file from the Software folder to the desktop.
    Why did I do that? Because when I open the properties for files in my Software folder I NEVER see the place to check for "unblock". Simple solution is to move the file to the desktop, execute it from there and delete it when done. (Sometime I need to ask you guys where that checkbox is...)
Ran the install with no problems or issues. When it completed I used the old connector software on my Vista client to go to the MSS/WHS and clicked on the (now yellow) shield. Selected the link and downloaded the new connector install file. The instructions did not state this, but I then CLOSED the connector. Only then did I install it on my client. Tried and re-tried the "automatic" discovery for the MSS without success, so the third round was "manual". No problems there as it already knew the name for my MSS and immediately proceeded to complete the installation.

Played with it a bit then starting adding back all my Add-Ins:
    MSS Drive Labeler 1.0.0.5
    WHS Disk Management 1.0.7.3
    WHS Toolkit 6.0.1639.0
    Remote Notification 1.0.0.47
    Advanced Admin Console 0.4.3
    Tab Reorder 0.7.3
    Event Viewer 1.1.0.0
At that point paranoia kicked in, so I checked that DEMIGRATOR.EXE was inactive and did a restart!

Everything appears to be functioning properly at this point. Interestingly all the Add-Ins also seem to have picked up all their original settings and all my tabs were back in the original order already. Other that a lot of console restarting this was painless! Took under an hour all told. I've been playing (informal testing) for almost 2 hours now.

I have not (yet) re-installed F-Secure, PerfectDisk 2008 or GridJunction. The first and last are standard Add-Ins but they both have new beta versions today so I need to pick those up first. PerfectDisk requires an RDP session but I want to update/reinstall my XP client before I do that.

Observations

The balancing is occurring LESS frequently and it is definitely quicker.

The entire feel is "snappier". I do not doubt that the transfer speeds are faster but I have not attempted ant measurements.

There is a little less "background" activity for the CPU. Not sure why, but the Idle process is right at 99% with nothing crossing the 1% threshold now. Before this was in the 96-98% range (without the three missing packages being active).

I am a happy camper so far! What has YOUR experience been?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

Ok, this forum has pretty much reached the end of it's usefulness, so within the next couple days I'll be locking this forum (leaving it readable for reference) so no further posts can be created. All further discussion should continue as part of the general, software, or troubleshooting forums.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]