It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have a DIY WHS (v1) box which has been rock solid for the last 6 months. My entire storage pool is inside a 5 Bay Sans Digital esata box.

A few days ago one of the storage pools HD encountered a Bad Block which fdisk was unable to fix. I learned a few interesting things: The Remove drive in the console failed: "File Conflicts prevented the Hard Drive Removal"., Server Storage showed the drive as Healthy. ASoft AdminMe showed the drive as Healthy. Shared Folders showed the drive as Unhealthy but you can't Repair from this tab. My Data Base was corrupted however Repair and Cleanup worked fine.

QUESTION: I am unable to find an Add-In which will accurately monitors and alerts "Smart" data for all the drives in my Sans Digital enclosure. I don't care if the solution needs to be installed in WHS as an application. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and long live my orphoned WHS :)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

Have you tried the WHS SMART Add-In?
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebi ... SMART.aspx

Ultimately it's up to the disk controller to expose SMART details from the drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks. Yes, but WHS Smart does not provide Smart Details on the drives in my Sans Digital enclosure. It's fine for the system drive inside the box.

Since Event Viewer / Sytem Logs does show the HD bad block error perhaps their is a way to auto notify me when this type of error is generated? These logs actually show ntfs and disk errors as I'm sure you know so an auto notify to me would be great. BTW, I also was running AdminMe and it did a great job of alerting me to a related error (see screen capture) BUT I didn't react fast enough or got busy on another project and let the other data fool me. NEXT time I will have learned my lesson :)

Any other ideas?

Attachments:
File comment: The warning which should have struck fear in my heart and caused me to immediately shut down the box.
error-2.jpg
error-2.jpg [ 296.84 KiB | Viewed 6632 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:58 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

so you were getting some error messages from WHS or you happen to find them when looking in the events log., I have a TR4M and about to add the TR5M to my system. but I thought WHS smart shows all the details on the drives even in my Sans digital box. I will double check.

thanks for the heads up.

update. yes, SMart WHS shows all the details from the TR4M and TR5M box. it will not show my usb dock station.

Thanks