It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cabldawg wrote:
I had some backups of client machines that I no longer have access to. (Reloaded OS, or sold the machine) How can I access those backups? I restored the BDBB, and the client computer that I used for the server (HP MSS EX475) shows as a connected client as well as lists all of the backups. Great!!! Where are the other computers?? I understand that I need to rejoin them to the server, but how do I make the ones that I can't rejoin show up grayed out like they used to be?

I am little surprised by a client that isnt it turned on not appearing as greyed out - in my case clients that aren't powered on appear greyed out
Another thought to try is to just right click on the client entry in the WHS Console/Computer & Backups tab - just select Turn off backups (as opposed to Remove Computer)

WHS: HP StorageWorks X510 with V3.2 MSS, 2TBx2/1.5TB/1TB SATA HDD's, eSata Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4M-B with 1TBx2 and 500GB USB with clients - 4 x Win 7 Ult, 1 x Vista Ult, 1 x Vista Home Prem, 1 x XP Pro, 2 x XBOX360, APC ES BE700-AZ 700VA/450W

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:46 pm 

Bodog WGS wrote:
cabldawg wrote:
I had some backups of client machines that I no longer have access to. (Reloaded OS, or sold the machine) How can I access those backups? I restored the BDBB, and the client computer that I used for the server (HP MSS EX475) shows as a connected client as well as lists all of the backups. Great!!! Where are the other computers?? I understand that I need to rejoin them to the server, but how do I make the ones that I can't rejoin show up grayed out like they used to be?

I am little surprised by a client that isnt it turned on not appearing as greyed out - in my case clients that aren't powered on appear greyed out
Another thought to try is to just right click on the client entry in the WHS Console/Computer & Backups tab - just select Turn off backups (as opposed to Remove Computer)

I think you misunderstood. The client computer that I used to restore my MSS is lit up in the computers list. No other computers show up at all. When I click on the view backups buton for the computer I ran the server restore from I can see the backups. My concern is the fact that none of the other computers that I had backed up are showing up. They would show up as gray before on the "old" server if they were offline. That is what I was expecting with the restore of the backup database, but they aren't showing up at all.

As I understand, I have to rejoin the client computer to the MSS for it to show up. How can I populate the computers that I no longer own, but retained backups for?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cabldawg wrote:
I think you misunderstood

Ok - let me think about this and come back
I see your point on not being able to connect the now non existant clients...

WHS: HP StorageWorks X510 with V3.2 MSS, 2TBx2/1.5TB/1TB SATA HDD's, eSata Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4M-B with 1TBx2 and 500GB USB with clients - 4 x Win 7 Ult, 1 x Vista Ult, 1 x Vista Home Prem, 1 x XP Pro, 2 x XBOX360, APC ES BE700-AZ 700VA/450W

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 am 
Founder
Founder

cabldawg wrote:

Make sure you have all the Windows Updates for your server, after PP2 WHS should be able to detect all client backups contained in the database. Don't Repair your backup DB until you have all updates. Please read the Wiki as it talks about the Client Registry keys.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
deucebigga, deucebigga
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:46 pm 

Hello everybody,

i am running a home build WHS now for a little bit over a year, using an old athlon xp 3200+ and an old ide only motherbord, habving 4 1TB drives attached via usb. now i got myself a new dual core cpu and an sata bord and want to put the drives in the case.

only problem is i dont have enough drives or parts like powersupply or cases to set up a second server and the copy all the data over from one to the other.

i am planning to use an empty 2TB drive i got brand new to install the new server on, and then i want to connect one drive after another copying over the files that are on the drive to the new storage pool and then adding the now empty drive to the pool.

my only problem are the backups. i had an 320GB drive in an usb enclosure that i used to back up a few selected files and a backup of the backups done with bdbb.

sadly just a few days before i finally get to set up the new server one of the power supplys of one external drive died on me and i was forced to use the enclosure of the backupdrive to attach the now missing pooldrive to the server again (different power supply then the one that died) and cant connect the drive i used for backups.

i have another empty 2.5" enclosure and could borrow a drive from a laptop to use as a medium for the bdbb files but i only have a drive with 110GB free space in two partitions and i have backups of about 140GB.

now i found that bdbb can backup the backups to the storage pool. thats what i did. now i want to copy the files over to the new server as described before but i have no idea wher bdbb stores the backups within the storage pool. so i cant be sure that i copyed over all the needed files before i add the drive to the pool an wipe it compleatly.

any hint where i can find the files within the storage pool would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance

patlabor

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:01 pm 
Founder
Founder

They are stored in an application folder, D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\.

Is it possible to connect one of the drives that has the BDBB backup to your PC and then copy the files to server over the network?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:22 pm 

Thanks for the fast replay,

the problem is i dont have any pcs, just laptops. so without an enclosure i cant connect any Hdd to my computers. and with one drive of the storage pool dead, whs is complaining about the backups being corrupt, so i have to connect the pool disk to the server to get it running correctly and i have to use the enclosure of the backup disk to do that, so i have the disk with the bdbb files naked and without any way to connect it to any pc.

i could buy a new enclosure to get the disk connected, but i figure that when i am done with this "operation" i am going to have 3 working and 1 damaged drive enclosures without any drives inside and without any actual use flying around here and i really dont want to buy another one just for one day.

would be nice to have the backups back, but to me they are not that valuable to justify another expense, especially after buying the the parts for the new server. if necessary i could just hook the laptops up over LAN (instead WLAN) and start doing new backups right away. sure i would loose the old backups but right now everything "seems" to be in order and i hope i wont need the "old" backups.

but would be a real bonus to have the old ones, just in case.

but if i understand you correctly, i would just have to pay attention to the D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\ files, no matter on what drive they actually are, and just copy them over to the same spot on the new server and bdbb would find them again and restore them once all files are copyed and all the drives are added to the pool again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

patlabor wrote:
but if i understand you correctly, i would just have to pay attention to the D:\folders\{88929185-7F43-4470-9F49-EEF410C7790D}\ files, no matter on what drive they actually are, and just copy them over to the same spot on the new server and bdbb would find them again and restore them once all files are copyed and all the drives are added to the pool again.

Yes, that should work, as long as you get all the files there in the right place. You'll then need to do a BDBB Restore to get that backup database in place. Be sure you are fully patched and up to date on the new box, otherwise you'll get error messages about the backup db needing repair.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:19 pm 

I'm new to this so forgive if already answered.

If I have two internal drives on my HP Home server, can I use your add in to make a second copy of the backup database on one of the internal drives? I understand that it can also copy to a USB drive. I'll do that once I figure out how to get the server to see them.

Also, I gather that both boxes should be checked regarding backups. Is that right?
Thanks.
Cliff

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you create a BDBB backup to Server Storage, it will be stored on one or more of your storage drives.

Please see the "How to use BDBB" section of the wiki as there is a ton of info there:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/WHS_BDBB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 pm 

Dear all and dear Alex,

I try to run WHS BDBB, but unsuccessful so far.
It always & always bug during backup creation at "backup 54% complete"

I went throug all the posts for this version 1.0.3.3 as well as for the prior one, but no solution do fit.

I have Acer H340 WHS server with 3 disks (1To & 2*To), all MS Windows updates have been installed
and it is running perfectly (as server as well as reinstall of PC from back-up).
I have 4 PC back-up into the server (office, 2 netbook, domestic fix, all running XP or XP-pro) and, I don't remember when/where I saw the message, but seems the back-up with BDBB would represent 500Go.

My first try was connecting the external HDD to the fix domestic PC through eSata, share the disk and try to BDBB on it - first time I saw the bug: bmocked at "backup 54% complete"
Then I connected the external drive directly to the WHS and it is fully recognized by the server (checked with remote desktop).
After unsuccessfull again I tried:
- uninstall - reinstall WHS BDBB
- reformat Seagate (NTFS)
- reboot server
but always back to "backup 54% complete" and no more server & external disk activity (in term of red/write of HDDs)

Hope you will help me to sort out,
Bernard
PS: excuse if poor english, but not my mother tongue

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 am 
Founder
Founder

Most likely there is an issue with one of the disks, possible one in your server or the drive you are trying to backup to. You can try a manual backup using the instructions in the Whitepaper from Microsoft that is linked in the BDBB Readme and in the Wiki.

A couple other people in this forum topic had similar issues that were resolved in various ways, make sure you've read through their results.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm 

Be patient. I thought my Database backup had frozen, but it slowly completed over a couple of hours. These are big files, and I guess it takes time.

Cliff

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:19 am 

Any ETA on when a new version will release? I would really like to see a new version with scheduled backups and the ability to consolidate or sync those backups automatically. Ideally the add-in would copy the client backups exactly and only backup what was changed to make both copies identical.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 am 
Founder
Founder

rekd0514 wrote:
Any ETA on when a new version will release? I would really like to see a new version with scheduled backups and the ability to consolidate or sync those backups automatically.

No ETA, I'm currently working on another project and have not begun this work.

Quote:
Ideally the add-in would copy the client backups exactly and only backup what was changed to make both copies identical.

An incremental backup would be nice but there are issues that make this difficult. Most important being that the client backups are stored in a database stored across many 4GB files, not the loose files of the client themselves. When a client changes, some or all of those 4GB files can change which makes an incremental backup very difficult to make efficient.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next