It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:30 pm 

Well, the error is now more or less reproducable. Apparently new in 1.0.3.3 is that the add-in now shows a messagebox:
Quote:
Error backing up files, cancelling backup
[OK]

I attached three log files. The biggest one, dated Sep 25, was created without logging out, and after visiting many tabs. With the other log files I'm sure that I just logged in.

The application event log shows one message from the WHS BDBB Settings source, Event ID 0, with this description:
Code:
System.IO.IOException: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSBDBB.HomeServerSettingsExtender.backupBackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Right after that another message from the same source and same Event ID comes:
Code:
BDBB backup complete.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

In the system log, about a minute before the app event messages, I see a dozen messages from source Disk, Event ID 15:
Code:
The device, \Device\Harddisk2, is not ready for access yet.

And before that a message from source mv61xx (my eSata controller), Event ID 3
Code:
Request to PD 0 is timeout.

Note: the backup destination is an external eSata disk. Previously I used a USB disk as destination, with 1.0.2.2. I got different messages, and reported that on WGS in http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... entry75490
At that time I thought the problem was related to Server backups, later I figured out it was related to the tabs I visited in my session.

Attachments:
File comment: Last time, with long running session
HomeServerConsole.100924.1926492416.5984.log [125.67 KiB]
Downloaded 1418 times
File comment: Short file
HomeServerConsole.100921.2230526875.628.log [7.35 KiB]
Downloaded 1356 times
File comment: Short file
HomeServerConsole.100921.2229308593.4344.log [7.65 KiB]
Downloaded 1330 times
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:38 am 
Founder
Founder

It appears your server is losing connectivity with your enclosure, thus BDBB fails because the device it is trying to write to goes away. I will consider some retry logic in a future version.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
That's a horrible situation and I'm very sorry to hear about this. I thought the wording was clear, and to be fair it's a two-button disaster click, there is a confirm dialog to make sure you want to delete your backup database. The button is there because I've had numerous forum members end up with a corrupted backup database that they cannot remove, at which point it is not possible to individually delete the computer backups as you propose.

In order to delete the BDBB backups, you have to select it and then the Delete button will be enabled.

I do checks that should not allow you to back up a WHS backup DB that is larger than the destination drive, I'm surprised to hear that this happened.

Edit: I'm open to more input, if people think the feature is too dangerous, or if people think it's a good idea.

Hi! I just installed BDBB for the first time, and it was not obvious to me what that button did until I read the text for the 3rd time. Because of its proximity to the other BDBB-specific functions I at first assumed that it would delete either the folder-duplications of the WHS backups or the duplicates of the BDBB backups, since those are the two things that are "created" (or at least enabled) by the other checkboxes on this page. Upon my 3rd reading it became clear that this was a button to stay away from :D, but not until then.

If I could make a minor suggestion, that button would be far less dangerous if it had a tab to itself.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

stevenkan wrote:

If I could make a minor suggestion, that button would be far less dangerous if it had a tab to itself.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:31 am 

Can I make a suggestion as well?
Every week I make a backup to an external disk. But when I create the backup, the default backup target is always Server Storage. Is it possible to remember the previous backup target? If not, would it make sense to prefer external disks as the default backup target?

Obviously this goes wrong with me once every so many times. When I'm backing up to the wrong target (in my case, Server Storage), this will take a very long time - the free space on my WHS is slightly larger than the expected WHSBDBB size. But when the backup is being created, I cannot see what the backup target is. So another suggestion is, can you show the target on the progress bar?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 am 
Founder
Founder

Good suggestions, I'll definitely consider them for the next release.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:18 am 

Hi to all,

Can anyone help with this error...

I'm getting this error message when I attempt to back-up to a NAS. I finishs 163GB out of 263GB, before it hangs.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WHS BDBB Settings
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 10/10/2010
Time: 11:38:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WHS1
Description:
Error comparing WHS name with registry name: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSBDBB.HomeServerSettingsExtender.UpdateClientInfo()

I restarted and got 72GB through and now get this error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: WHS BDBB Settings
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 10/10/2010
Time: 1:01:30 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WHS1
Description:
System.IO.IOException: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSBDBB.HomeServerSettingsExtender.backupBackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Please Help...

Attachments:
BDBB - 10-10-2010 11-03-13 AM.jpg
BDBB - 10-10-2010 11-03-13 AM.jpg [ 54.98 KiB | Viewed 91998 times ]
BDBB - 10-10-2010 1-05-42 PM.jpg
BDBB - 10-10-2010 1-05-42 PM.jpg [ 51.49 KiB | Viewed 91988 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

The first error is benign. The second error is why your backup is failing, unfortunately I've not heard of that specific failure before. A google search turns up some discussion on the Microsoft WHS forums that makes it sound like a sporadic WHS problem.
http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-U ... 0e19ac03a/

You might try a fresh reboot of your server. What NAS device are you backing up to?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:07 pm 

Thank you for the reply... I'm trying a cold boot now... The NAS is an Intel SS4200E

I'm also going to try a backup to a local usb drive and see if that works better if the cold boot backup fails again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

That's a good set of steps, hopefully one of the backup methods works for you. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 am 

Last night I created a share on my Win 7 Ultimate and used that for the backup. Then did a cold boot. This time I got to 214GB before the same error. I don't see any other errors. Something is going wrong. I did have a problem in the past with too long file names on the sever to usb drive backup, but we are not copying those files, just the bat files, correct? Any other idea's, I'm going to run a CHK Disk on all drives, before I try USB backup...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:45 am 
Founder
Founder

Sorry to hear that didn't work. :( Chkdsk seems like a good idea. Are you running a lot of Add-Ins on the server?

One other thing to try would be to manually perform the steps that BDBB does; stop the PDL and Backup services, and manually copy the files to a mapped drive on your Win7 or NAS. BDBB just does a File.Copy() so it should be similar to a Drag/Drop or Copy/Paste operation.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:44 am 

Check disks came out fine, which is always good news... I'm going to try a manual copy as you suggested, how and where should I initiate the copy from?

I stop the PDL and WHSBackup services with a cmd file I have and then I'm supposed to grab all the files in the {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} folders correct?

Those folders and files show up in a couple different places:

C:\fs\12\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and C:\fs\16\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

or all the files are in:

D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

Should I hand pick out of the C:\fs\.. or get them all from D:\folders..? and am I missing anything that I should be copying? Thanks again...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:06 pm 
Founder
Founder

D:\folders, check the link in the BDBB Readme to the WHS Whitepaper that describes the full process.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:23 pm 

I tried the copy manually with the latest version of Beyond Compare. It failed also with basically the same error. So now I have rewritten my BAT file to stop more services that were coming up during the copy process. I have also installed RichCopy, and I'm using that was we speak to copy the files (using some custom settings), waiting to see if this new combination of things solves the problem. I will say that it seems that RichCopy is working better the BC (38mb per second, no delay between files). It actually may be the engine that you are using for all that I know... BTW the link for that WHS white paper seems to be broken, but I have a copy that I downloaded a while ago, and I see that the process is outlined there, thanks for the heads up! and I will let you know if I can get this to run the whole way through without an error.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next