It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Dear yakuza:

How does your add-in work with hardware? I bought a second HP MediaSmart server EX 495 (8TB). My first is an EX 485 (4TB). I just learned the hard way that I cannot connect both WHS devices to my network as only ONE console can be operational at a given time on my main workstation.

So what I would like to know is can I connect my EX 485 (old one) to the EX 495 (new one) via an eSata cable and expect to use the 485 as an external hard drive to which I can "backup my WHS backups"? If not, do you recommend I use a Drobo S instead as a storage device to fail-safe my backups in case something goes wrong with my Windows Home Server?

Sincerely,
markerline

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:59 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums. You cannot directly connect two servers. I instead recommend you look at backing up across the network, or purchasing an eSATA storage enclosure. Check the Reviews section of the site for my take on several different models from different manufacturers.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
markerline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The only thing I was able to find in the reviews (forgive me I can't navigate this site very well) was the EnhanceBox E10 PM eSata device. Just to review, I could technically use the WHS Add-In to Backup Server Backups across the network or to this eSata device that would be directly connected to the MediaSmart which contains my backups of interest, right?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

I have reviews of 4 or 5 different eSATA enclosures, including the EnhanceBox, Sans Digital, iStoragePro, and one I just published on Friday for the Icy Dock.

BDBB is capable of backing up and restoring across the network or to local storage, but the built-in WHS Shared Folder Backup feature can only back up to local storage.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
markerline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for this very helpful information. While I am in the process of backing up to the new server I can't troubleshoot the steps but I will post my progress once I get to the next stage. Thanks for taking the time to personally respond, also.

Sincerely,
markerline

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Definitely let us know how it goes for you and if you have any more questions. :mss:

Thanks