It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:15 pm 

I'v bought WHS Mobile, for use on my iPod, but I'm unable to connect to the Home Server.
I've both tried to add port 8169 manually on my router (Linksys WRT320N) and tried it using the Port Forward add-in. Still not working.

On my iPod settings page I've used: domain name = xxx.homeserver.com, username = Administrator, Password = XXX and port 8169.
On my home server the above values are identical (xxx/XXX replaced by actual values off course)

I had the same problem on my Linksys WRT54GL that I just replaced today.

Any idea where I'm going wrong here?

Attachments:
File comment: Screendump
Schermafbeelding 2010-07-28 om 20.12.58.png
Schermafbeelding 2010-07-28 om 20.12.58.png [ 11.78 KiB | Viewed 20302 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm not familiar with WHS Mobile or why it needs a port, sorry. My only thought, are you testing inside your home network? If so that likely won't work with your external URL, try it with the internal server name, or test from outside your home like at work or the internet cafe.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ive used the program before and it can be a little buggy setting up the first time. Try using your IP address instead of your Custom Domain name. This worked for me when I first set it up. then later I got it working the correct way.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok I reinstalled the app, I had it removed due to a screen issue and requiring apple repair.

I got it to work using the ip address, for some reason I have trouble using my custom domain name. its like it cant resolve the address correctly. it could be due to my server being offline for a long long while. I did get it to work in the past so it isnt like it wont work. how long have you had your custom domain name?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:41 am 

I have the exact same problem. I can't connect to my home server with both the domain name URL or the ip. I've verified that my port 8169 is setup properly as I can browse to the address in safari.

Any solutions? Is this a bug?

I have a 3GS with the latest iOs 4 firmware installed.

Thxs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

lets verify some things first:

you have the most recent iphone app correct?

you have the most recent add-in on the server?

is your server connected driectly to your modem or is it more like mine where its modem then router then mss?

also can you access the MSS remotely off your network? not from your iphone but from another computer like a work computer?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
lets verify some things first:

you have the most recent iphone app correct?

you have the most recent add-in on the server?

is your server connected driectly to your modem or is it more like mine where its modem then router then mss?

also can you access the MSS remotely off your network? not from your iphone but from another computer like a work computer?

thxs for the quick reply!

I got it working now! It was my add-in version that was outdated.. which is strange since I got the MSI from site Microsoft links too for add-ins and installed it yesterday. (must be outdated)

thxs for the help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yeah this app is finicky. I had to restore iPhone after screen repair now neither my ip or custom domain will work. I think it could be my domain. It's www.Xxx.xxxxxx.hpmediasmart.com. Not sure this app understands so many dots.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 pm 

I use to use WHS Mobile with my last HTC Windows Smart Phone and it was tricky getting it to work but when it did it was a great app. The primary reason why I used it was to check my listing of movies when I was out buying new movies to add to my collection to prevent my buying duplicate copies which has happend in the past.

For some reason earlier this year it was working but it would not allow me to access my shared folders anymore. I never did resolve that issue but have since changed my cell phone to an HTC EVO Android phone and if there is an app for WHS Mobile for that I would be very interested in it.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:44 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just uninstalled an reinstalled add. That seemed to jump start the process. It still doesn't recognize my custom domain. Oh well at least it works, again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

How do you like the EVO? Looks like a very nice phone.

I have some ports forwarded on my router. Do I need to configure my router for my domain name also? could that be the reason I cant use my domain name to reach that whs app? I dont have any issue with using my domain name for other things. the only issue I do have is I cant remote into my laptop from work. I get an error about enabling terminal add-in in IE7. not sure what to do there.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Brent, on 10 July 2010 - 11:14 AM, said:
Sorry about that, I haven't been able to test WHS Mobile with iOS 4 until now. It seems there is a bug in iOS 4. Please open up your iPhone settings, tap WHS Mobile, and re-enter the port number (clear the box and enter 8169). After that, relaunch WHS Mobile (close it if already running in background).

The above worked for me

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:27 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My best advice for WHS Mobile is to make sure anytime you update your phone's app, you also update the WHS add-in. I stopped using WHS Mobile probably 6 months ago now. I bought it simply to stream music to my iphone instead of using twonky/istream app combo. It worked ok, but in time the developer released a newer version to fix some issues, but also made the program not usable for my needs anymore. He started trans-coding my mp3 files on the fly before sending them to your phone, which slowed down the streaming process tremendously. It also taxed the poor little Celeron in my ex487 interrupting other streams such as a kid watching a movie off the ps3, but only briefly. Maybe that has changed now, but I'm fine with the istream app and twonky.

FWIW, the developer is very responsive to email support questions and was very willing to help me troubleshoot issues. If your only goal is to stream music, check out subsonic for the ios/android platforms.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

http://blog.compugeeksoftware.com/blog/ ... us-update/

Thanks