It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:05 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

To all my friends in the Windows Home Server Community:

I want to take a moment to thank all of you for your support for Windows Home Server SMART! Several of you have taken the time to provide me with some very useful feedback…some was very positive while others suggested room for improvement. Some folks have taken the time to rate my app, and I’m pleased to see that it rates well in the user community. Thank you. And many of you have generously donated via PayPal. Thank you again!

So where is the next version of Home Server SMART? Many of you may be wondering. I haven’t been very active in the forums over the last few months, and you may have wondered if I disappeared. Fear not, I did not vanish on you. You folks have not been forgotten.

On April 28, 2010, my wife Sheila and I were blessed with the birth of our second child, a healthy baby boy, Joshua Lewis Sawyer. Josh is exactly 2½ years younger than our daughter Taryn (October 28, 2007).

Since Dojo North Software is not my primary job, but rather a DBA under which I do freelance software development and home PC repair, it isn’t quite as high on the priority queue as my family or my day job. And the last thing I want to be remembered as is the “daddy who wasn’t there.”

The long and short of it is this: family wins. Children are only young once, so if they desire my attention, they’re probably going to get it. I was on a “project from Hell” at work earlier this year which included several back-to-back 80+ hour weeks, including weekends, and it had a profound, negative impact on my relationship with Taryn. She wanted to play but I was too busy with work. In this case, the work project was something out of my control. Freelance work, on the other hand, is just that. Freelance. Completely, 100% in my control.

Since getting back to a more “normal” schedule, my relationship with Taryn has improved dramatically. And with Josh now among us, there are two children in need of our love and attention, and there is no reason why we shouldn’t give it.

That does not mean development on the next version of Home Server SMART has halted. It’s just slowed down a bit. It gets most of its attention in the evenings after the children are in bed. Many of you have asked for improvements and new features, and they will be coming. You will be able to ignore certain conditions, much like you can ignore WHS warnings and errors. Temperature thresholds will be adjustable, so rather than having Home Server SMART telling you a disk is overheated, you get to decide what constitutes overheated. Home Server SMART will run as a service and store data in the Registry, so the UI will be much, much faster. Plus you get to control how often Home Server SMART polls the disks. And even though Alex Kuretz has written a fantastic alerting add-in, Remote Notification, several folks have nevertheless asked for Home Server SMART to do its own alerting. So email alerts will be there, but you really should go with Remote Notification!

I hope this answers some questions many of you may have had. Again, I really do appreciate your support and look forward to bringing you the next version of Home Server SMART!

Best regards,
Matt Sawyer

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
scarpenter002

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:15 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for sharing what you've been up to, Matt. I can relate with your experience, with my 11 month old who has food intolerance issues, a very active almost-5 year old, and the normal activities at the full-time job and home it's just super hard to do all we want with our "hobbies" or freelance activities. I know the community looks forward to the improvements you put into the SMART Add-In whenever you're able to get them ready to release.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 pm 

Hey Matt,

Congrats on the new child and your absolutely family comes first. Your Home Server Smart is an excellent Add-In I recommend it often to people.

Thanks for sharing!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:12 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Matt, Congrats on the new child and you are wise to give the time now to your family. They should always be your number one priority. Thanks for your continued contributions to this community and especially for your work on SMART.

WHS - CPU AMD Athlon II-X4, MB ASUS M4AB9GTD Pro, Case Antec 300, RAM 4GB DDR3, Storage 7.6 TB

Thanks