It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 pm 

I am a new WHS owner and have managed to get most things working (with good advice from a friend).

I have installed the HP Tivo expander and it works fine transferring files to my WHS. I can play them directly from the shared folder since the Tivo remote desktop configures Windows Media Player correctly. I can also load them in to VideoRedo and convert them to .mpg files and put them back on the server where the media converter converts them to .mp4 files. These .mp4 files can be streamed to my iPhone using istream.

When we are travelling, I'd like to be able to stream some of my tivo shows to my laptop or iPhone. I don't know how to accomplish this since the media converter won't convert .tivo files. I did some searching here and found the news article and its discussion of this, but no one said if they had a way around it.

So, has anyone been able to get the server to convert .tivo files so that you can stream them?

Barry

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Once they are converted by the MSS video converter, you will be able to stream them with the remote streaming feature.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm 

sgip2000 wrote:
Once they are converted by the MSS video converter, you will be able to stream them with the remote streaming feature.

I realize that, but how do you get media converter to convert .TiVo
files? Mine doesn't. Does yours?

Barry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You should check out www.tivocommunity.com. There's a lot of info on how to convert the .tivo files. The most popular tool is "Kmttg".

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:07 pm 

sgip2000 wrote:
You should check out http://www.tivocommunity.com. There's a lot of info on how to convert the .tivo files. The most popular tool is "Kmttg".

Thanks for that pointer. Looks like it will work - I'll start work on it tomorrow.

Barry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 am 

sgip2000 wrote:
You should check out http://www.tivocommunity.com. There's a lot of info on how to convert the .tivo files. The most popular tool is "Kmttg".

I've been looking at installing kmttg on my WHS but it looks like I'm going to need Remote desktop to install and perhaps run it. Since I have Windows 7 Home Premium, I can't use Remote Desktop. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this dilemma? I'd rather not have to upgrade my Windows 7 if at all possible.

Barry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You can establish a remote desktop session from a Windows 7 home premium system, just cannot access it via remote desktop from another system.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank sgip2000 for this post
shiffrin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:55 am 

sgip2000 wrote:
You can establish a remote desktop session from a Windows 7 home premium system, just cannot access it via remote desktop from another system.

Thanks, that information wasn't clear from reading other posts. I just tried it and it works fine. Looks like I'll start installing kmttg after all.

Barry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I use VideoReDo to convert the .TiVo files. But I only do this if I plan on putting it on my portable media player to watch in HD at another location.

Thanks