It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS BDBB?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 am 

Hey everyone. Just started using this add-in to make sure i never loose my backups. I know if you loose even one drive and some of the data of your backups on there then you can loose everything so i wanted something to backup my backups. Id like something that automatically backups my backups without manual intervention. Anyways, i installed the add-in and already have questions. I'm trying to get the gist of the add-in.
In the duplication options there are:
1) Enable Duplication for WHS Backups
2) Enable Duplication for BDBB Backups.

The "Enable Duplication for WHS Backups" would allow a pretty much a set it and forget it option correct? It would use drive extender to automatically duplicate my backups correct? If something happened to my main backup DB where would i go to find this duplicate so i could restore my backups? I see in the WIKI for the add-in that he recommends not using the "Duplication options". Do many of you still use them and have you been burned or heard others being burned by using it?

The "Enable duplication for BDBB Backups" i imagine looks where i did a manual backup and dupicates this somewhere else? Again if you choose to backup to something that isn't a duplicated folder how exactly does this work?

OK with those two options out of the way. If you don't choose either of the options above then you must manually go and remember to manually backup your backups every so often right? Id really prefer an automatic option if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ncage

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS BDBB?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You should check out the thread on Automated Backup Script. This does NOT use BDBB but it does accomplish the same thing AND will also allow you to back up any Shared Folders at the same time.

--------------

You can find the answers to your BDBB questions in one of the topics with "BDBB" in the header. I would start with http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4078. (Ant I recommend that location for discussion if you do not find your answers.)

The duplication option just causes the backup folder in the server to be duplicated and, like a duplicated Shared Folder, protects against the loss of a server drive.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you back up to an external drive outside the storage pool, one that can be removed and taken to a different location.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 pm 

OK so backups are recommended with this utility to be done manually & the "Duplication" check boxes are definitely not recommended? I definitely seen the the free space drop after i checked the "Duplication" check box for WHS Backups but i RDP into my WHS box and was looking where it stored everything and could not find it. Also even if i do know where it stored it what would i do in case of a failure? I don't think you can use the "restore" button the add-in for this purpose.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:20 pm 
Founder
Founder

ncage1974 wrote:
OK so backups are recommended with this utility to be done manually & the "Duplication" check boxes are definitely not recommended? I definitely seen the the free space drop after i checked the "Duplication" check box for WHS Backups but i RDP into my WHS box and was looking where it stored everything and could not find it. Also even if i do know where it stored it what would i do in case of a failure? I don't think you can use the "restore" button the add-in for this purpose.

I do not recommend the Duplication checkbox for the WHS Backup DB because if it gets corrupted you're simply wasting space duplicating a corrupt backup. If you have tons of space and want to turn it on in addition to BDBB backups to help retain the DB in the event of drive failure, then that should work fine. The point is don't refrain from doing BDBB backups simply because you have the Duplication checkbox enabled.

Both WHS and BDBB backups are stored in D:\folders.

Thanks