It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

It's lots of work to push it up to Amazon S3, but I guess once done it will be ok.

Jungle Disk has made clear they will not support their add-in and have also made clear that they are unclear about NAS in general.

Does the HP add-in work with non-HP WHS devices? Just curious. On the phone with HP MSS support the other day, he claimed they did not support the HP Backup Add-in. However, I dl'd it from the HP site and I would imagine that in that case the support guy was mistaken. It looks to me like an HP program, no?

jl

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:16 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

jlsoaz wrote:
Does the HP add-in work with non-HP WHS devices? Just curious. On the phone with HP MSS support the other day, he claimed they did not support the HP Backup Add-in. However, I dl'd it from the HP site and I would imagine that in that case the support guy was mistaken. It looks to me like an HP program, no?

I tried it one time from a DIY unit and it seemed to run fine. I have not tried it since on other than my MSS. (Try it!)

It is, I believe, an HP program. I do not recall what the support agreement was that came with it.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
jlsoaz wrote:

I tried it one time from a DIY unit and it seemed to run fine. I have not tried it since on other than my MSS. (Try it!)

It is, I believe, an HP program. I do not recall what the support agreement was that came with it.

I remember you mentioning that you use it. I have been using it for a couple of days now.

I have to re-upload everything to S3 since I have really reached the end of the road with Jungle Disk. They have in the past few days made more clear their abandonment of their WHS Add-in and have issued another vague "we're working on it" for their vague broader NAS strategy. The bucket I created with JD doesn't seem to be readable with other programs and I'm just not into their thing any more.

I don't know if I will entirely leave JD, we'll see.

If we can nail down that the HP Add-in is supported and works outside the MSS, we might be able to recommend it to others outside HP MSS users, but I am skeptical. Anyway, there is also Cloudberry.

jl

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
jlsoaz wrote:

I was enthusiastic, but on second thought it looks like there is no encryption option as there is with Jungle Disk (and, it appears with Cloudberry Add-in)?

Time for an overall-rethink, particularly as I am wary of how much I don't understand, and will never understand, about using Amazon S3 in a secure way... both in terms of push-button and in terms of best-practices on my own end.

One other thing on which I will send a private note.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:07 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have only recently realized that the HP solution did not have any encryption. Makes me more than a little nervous. I am starting to look at Cloudberry:
http://www.cloudberrylab.com/default.aspx?page=index (List of products)
http://www.cloudberrylab.com/default.aspx?page=backup-whs (WHS solution)
They also offer CloudBerry Explorer freeware
(http://s3.cloudberrylab.com/) for managing S3 accounts.

There is a thread on Cloudberry at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5568&hilit=cloudberry.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks