It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

What's the background?

I'm using my WHS as the backbone in my computer environment. Doing that it was nice, to get Lights-Out for saving energy. It's organising the server to go in StandBy, wakes him up and so on. It is working if on the single computer the connector software is installed.

But now - times are changing - I have 2 new items in my environment:
- my office notebook
- my TV (LOEWE Connect).
Both do not have the connector software (on the notebook I do not have admin rights...).

The issue with my notebook was easy: In Lights-Out you have an "advanced" section and so I copy a file into a special directory when login the notebook into my network. When logout the file is removed. LO is checking the file, if he is existing the server does not go asleep.

So at least my TV is the problem -> I don't want to have the WHS going to sleep if I'M watching a movie! Do you have any idea how to solve this with LO?
Or do you have any other idea, may be with another energy-saving AddIn?

Thanks and Best Regards
Wonko

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:55 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

If your TV-watching is very consistent in terms of daily timing just adjust the schedule accordingly.

For me it is NOT consistent, especially since the server also streams photos to a picture frame and music. Completely unpredictable except for the early morning hours when it's doing backups anyway! I just leave the server on all the time. (And I did that BEFORE I used the server for security, lighting control and security cameras.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

wonko wrote:
What's the background?

I'm using my WHS as the backbone in my computer environment. Doing that it was nice, to get Lights-Out for saving energy. It's organising the server to go in StandBy, wakes him up and so on. It is working if on the single computer the connector software is installed.

- my office notebook
- my TV (LOEWE Connect).
Both do not have the connector software (on the notebook I do not have admin rights...).

The issue with my notebook was easy: In Lights-Out you have an "advanced" section and so I copy a file into a special directory when login the notebook into my network. When logout the file is removed. LO is checking the file, if he is existing the server does not go asleep.

So at least my TV is the problem -> I don't want to have the WHS going to sleep if I'M watching a movie! Do you have any idea how to solve this with LO?

Thanks and Best Regards
Wonko

I am coming here today to ask roughly the same question. I have a Roku Soundbridge which I sometimes use to stream MP3 files to my stereo system from my WHS. Sometimes I think WHS will go into hibernate and I don't want this. If I could get the WHS to "see" the roku Soundbridge as a device in LIghts Out, then i could tell Lights out to monitor it for activity, but I don't think there's a way to do that.

jl

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:04 am 

jlsoaz wrote:
wonko wrote:
What's the background?

- my office notebook
- my TV (LOEWE Connect).

Thanks and Best Regards
Wonko

I am coming here today to ask roughly the same question. I have a Roku Soundbridge which I sometimes use to stream MP3 files to my stereo system from my WHS. Sometimes I think WHS will go into hibernate and I don't want this. If I could get the WHS to "see" the roku Soundbridge as a device in LIghts Out, then i could tell Lights out to monitor it for activity, but I don't think there's a way to do that.

jl

Yes, you can !! :banana:
In the advanced mode of LightsOut (15€ + VAT), you can monitor IP addresses. This means that if you allocate from your router a static IP address to each of your connected multimedia devices, you can ask LightsOut to monitor the IP address. As soon as the IP address is up, the server is up. Therefore, your connected TV will order the server to wake up.

Docles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

is this what you mean?

In the Computer tab of LO you have 2 sections - one for each computer with an installed WHS console (and also a LO client) and another one for "network based items".

Within the second section mark one (i.e. my LOEWE TV), right mouse click and "watch for activity".

Attachment:
LO.jpg
LO.jpg [ 19.53 KiB | Viewed 8916 times ]

But: the server isn't going asleep. If the TV is only in standby mode the server is getting a signal and that's why LO cannot send the server into sleep... :-k

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:36 am 

wonko wrote:
is this what you mean?

In the Computer tab of LO you have 2 sections - one for each computer with an installed WHS console (and also a LO client) and another one for "network based items".

Within the second section mark one (i.e. my LOEWE TV), right mouse click and "watch for activity".

Attachment:
LO.jpg

But: the server isn't going asleep. If the TV is only in standby mode the server is getting a signal and that's why LO cannot send the server into sleep... :-k

You need to go to properties, and then tick to have the server up with this IP address.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank docles for this post
wonko
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
You need to go to properties, and then tick to have the server up with this IP address.

You are right - that was the reason... Now it's okay for me, perfect working. Nice tool!

Thanks