It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:58 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Dominick_7,

Hey if you concerned with having to have an active console you could try to RDP your server access the console and just set McAffee to perform a scan then just close the RDP session and it should leave your session active. However if McAffee is running as its suppose to your suppose to be able to schedule a scan. Notice I said suppose to because when I was running McAfee it only let me set a schedule scan once then after that it ghosted out the option and then always complained it could not schedule a scan.

Furthermore if McAffee quarentines a file your server will report to you the file is open and that you need to have the application that has it open close it. Thing is this everything I put on my server is prescanned then I dump my files to the server but McAffee seems to have a mind of its own.

I removed McAffee because it annoyed me and my subscription is valid until like July of this year. I think Avast gives you like 60 days to try it out.

The ProLiant is a Business Server Line which HP manufactures.

I still need to install Avast in my EX470's which I will do tomorrow.

I have the original 1.5TB almost entirely filled up (with two Hitachi 2TB 7200 Hard Drives in the mail from NewEggs 72 hours sale from the other day for $133 each) and was wondering if you or anyone knows how long it would take to scan the entire drive with Mcafee vs Avast? Also wondering if I was to get Avast how you're supposed to install it..? Are we supposed to do the installation from the desktop so it shows up via the Add/Remove or as some sort of pluggin from the Addin folder so it shows up under the Addin section?

I'm going to try to schedule a Mcafee scan, and if it works, it should do it without requiring me to be logged into the Windows Home Console then I take it. I just uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled it so I HOPE the scheduler will work unlike when you tried it. EDIT: Ok just tried to set up a scheduled scan, it doesn't ghost it out but when I close out the Windows Home Console, wait for the time it's set for, wait a minute or two after that and re log back in, it is not in the process of scanning.. so I think scheduling may not be working for me either.. or maybe it's only supposed to work when I have the console opened? Seems messed up either way.

Wow if you got ProLiant why did you get the MediaSmart? Sounds like it's a professional grade server.. the kind that makes your energy bill high too no?

Ok sounds good. Looking forward to hearing how that goes. I've never had a good experience with anything Mcafee, and so far this thing is annoying me as well.. Not only do I need to learn a whole new OS with the Windows Home Server set up and how to interact with it properly, but adding Mcafee to the mix rally brings the experience down. I hope Avast is much better as the reports in the community indicate.. If you could let me know which Avast purchase bundle you get, any coupons for it I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks for the replies on this!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 am 

Dominick_7,

I actually have a couple of the 2 TB Hitachi Deskstart drives running in my ProLiant and before they were there they were running in my EX470 they do run a little warmer then the WD Green drives about 2c higher but they are as quiet atleast the ones I have are even though people do report them to be noisy I just do not see it with mine.

The ProLiant does use more power but its not noticable in my electric bill. According to my UPS that server with 2 Port Multipliers and the monitor running is consumes .270KW where as the EX470 and a monitor consumes .113KW but when I took those readings just a min ago the servers were basically idle or no real activity. I can also tell you that when the ProLiant is busy the power consumption does jump pass the .3KW mark. But when the ProLiants fans kick into high speed it makes alot of noise and I also found out it likes the ambiant temperatures below 75F so my AC is on now set for 73F.

As for Avast you can download an MSI file for installing like another add-in which is what I chose to use. I just installed it in my EX470 running 3.0 its free to use on that unit until 6/6/10 so I will get a good run for out of it.

I did not buy the EX470's after the ProLiant. I had the EX470's first then added the ProLiant to handle the Movie Streaming which the EX470 did well until demigrator kicked in then it was not as smooth. With the ProLiant demigrator can be running and have no impact on anything so I am pleased with that. I still use one of the EX470's to backup clients but eventually I will move that task over to the ProLiant. The 3.0 has however breathed new life into the EX470 so I am playing with that wondering how I can make use of its new features.

I am able to connect remote to both servers but I am using the ProLiants Landing page to direct traffic so to speak and so far its working out well accept that LOGON button I really need to fix it or get rid of it since its not working properly with my mess of Port Forwarding Settings to get both servers to work with remote connections all because of the two servers fight over port 443 so I set one for 444 and let the other have 443 but the one with 443 stole the LOGON button which is why I have to figure out how to reconfigure that LOGON button to make it behave but its not the end of the world right now as it does work but one gets a certificate error so I tell people do not use it just use the ones I created and so all is well.

There is a new add-in available called ADD_IN CENTRAL you have to put this on your server its the coolest thing out there and Nigel did a write up about it so if you have not read his write up then be sure to check it out because this add-in will list all the available add-ins, let you know when there are new versions of the add-ins your running and hell it will even download them and install them for you with your guidance of course. Guess seeing is believing so be sure to click on the link below to read about it.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04 ... r-add-ins/

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
Dominick_7,

I actually have a couple of the 2 TB Hitachi Deskstart drives running in my ProLiant and before they were there they were running in my EX470 they do run a little warmer then the WD Green drives about 2c higher but they are as quiet atleast the ones I have are even though people do report them to be noisy I just do not see it with mine.

The ProLiant does use more power but its not noticable in my electric bill. According to my UPS that server with 2 Port Multipliers and the monitor running is consumes .270KW where as the EX470 and a monitor consumes .113KW but when I took those readings just a min ago the servers were basically idle or no real activity. I can also tell you that when the ProLiant is busy the power consumption does jump pass the .3KW mark. But when the ProLiants fans kick into high speed it makes alot of noise and I also found out it likes the ambiant temperatures below 75F so my AC is on now set for 73F.

Cool, those hard drives just got some sort of award I believe. They're working fine so far. How much more efficient is the ProLiant than the Mediasmart you think? Would you replace the Mediasmart with another ProLiant down the road if you could you think?

Quote:
As for Avast you can download an MSI file for installing like another add-in which is what I chose to use. I just installed it in my EX470 running 3.0 its free to use on that unit until 6/6/10 so I will get a good run for out of it.

I downloaded it but am waiting till my stupid Mcafee expires.. Really annoying since I have to update the stupid key every week. Let me know how it is in comparison to Mcrappy if you would.

Quote:
I did not buy the EX470's after the ProLiant. I had the EX470's first then added the ProLiant to handle the Movie Streaming which the EX470 did well until demigrator kicked in then it was not as smooth. With the ProLiant demigrator can be running and have no impact on anything so I am pleased with that. I still use one of the EX470's to backup clients but eventually I will move that task over to the ProLiant. The 3.0 has however breathed new life into the EX470 so I am playing with that wondering how I can make use of its new features.

What's a demigrator? How do you think the ProLiant works with streaming compared to the Mediasmart? I'm curious to know the limits of it in comparison to it. I'm finding Twonky and the Mediastreamer pretty limited..and frustrating. 3.0 seems pretty ok. I got it out of the box.

Quote:
I am able to connect remote to both servers but I am using the ProLiants Landing page to direct traffic so to speak and so far its working out well accept that LOGON button I really need to fix it or get rid of it since its not working properly with my mess of Port Forwarding Settings to get both servers to work with remote connections all because of the two servers fight over port 443 so I set one for 444 and let the other have 443 but the one with 443 stole the LOGON button which is why I have to figure out how to reconfigure that LOGON button to make it behave but its not the end of the world right now as it does work but one gets a certificate error so I tell people do not use it just use the ones I created and so all is well.

Hmm sounds irritating. If you had to choose between the two servers, which would you go with. What kind of specs does the ProLiant have anyway?

Quote:

There is a new add-in available called ADD_IN CENTRAL you have to put this on your server its the coolest thing out there and Nigel did a write up about it so if you have not read his write up then be sure to check it out because this add-in will list all the available add-ins, let you know when there are new versions of the add-ins your running and hell it will even download them and install them for you with your guidance of course. Guess seeing is believing so be sure to click on the link below to read about it.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04 ... er-add-ins

Sweet, sounds pretty nice. Thanks for the info!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:44 pm 

The performance of the ProLiant is outstanding. This server doesn't break a sweat but then its a totally different animal then the EX470 which has served me well. The ProLiant has 2 duel core AMD Opteron 280 Processors, duel gigabit LAN ports a third 10/100 LAN Port for some remote maintenance tasks I have yet to explore and can support upto 16 GB of RAM or 8 GB per processor. Its a 1U serve so it can only house 2 hard drives and 1 slim drive. I added a PCI-X SATA card which can support 4 port multipliers and I plan on adding another in the future. I still have to either build an enclosure or buy one. If I build one it will house upto 30 drives but for the moment I do not require them but I do want to do it just incase.

The ProLiant has pretty much replaced the EX470's which I use now primarily for Client Backups so between the 3 servers I can backup 30 clients if I feel the need to do so. If I happen to work on someones computer that gave me a headache then I tend to their computer up especially if their kids are on thos peer to peer networks downloading viral infected music files.

Demigrator is the program which balances out your storage pool its processor intensive and has been known to bog ones server down to a crawl. So when I was moving files to the ProLiant I was curious of the impact of demigrator and so I was there using the server with no real noticable impact of performance. The other thing I wanted to improve upon was streaming my media content on ORB and SubSonic and both stream very smooth. I have tested the streams on my cell phone, netbook, my fiance with her horrible DSL connection in China can stream no problem at all. I have several people wacking my server and its all good.

About the only limitation I will run into is bandwidth so as more people access my server I know I will have to increase it.

As for the 3.0 I did experience a high CPU utilization cause by wmiprvse.exe which drove me crazy but then I remembered that for some reason my WD USB Drive which I use for BDBB was causing the problem. I had it connected again and forgot to disconnect it now its disconnected and all is well again.

Oh yea the scans for Avast were pretty good. On the ProLiant Avast scanned over 5 TB in about 42 minutes. On the EX470 with 1.5 GB in use it took just under 2 hours. That EX470 has the BE2300 CPU in it.

I did want to see how easy Avast could be uninstalled. Hmm I had to disable the self protect mode. It will not uninstall either from the console or Add & Remove from the control panel. You have to download an unistall utility from the Avast Web Site to remove it. This I did not appreciate as I believe if the software can install itself it should be able to uninstall itself as well.

While I did like Avast I think I may try F-Secure next since JohnBick highly recommends it provided they have a trial period. I will let you know how that works out.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
The performance of the ProLiant is outstanding. This server doesn't break a sweat but then its a totally different animal then the EX470 which has served me well. The ProLiant has 2 duel core AMD Opteron 280 Processors, duel gigabit LAN ports a third 10/100 LAN Port for some remote maintenance tasks I have yet to explore and can support upto 16 GB of RAM or 8 GB per processor. Its a 1U serve so it can only house 2 hard drives and 1 slim drive. I added a PCI-X SATA card which can support 4 port multipliers and I plan on adding another in the future. I still have to either build an enclosure or buy one. If I build one it will house upto 30 drives but for the moment I do not require them but I do want to do it just incase.

The ProLiant has pretty much replaced the EX470's which I use now primarily for Client Backups so between the 3 servers I can backup 30 clients if I feel the need to do so. If I happen to work on someones computer that gave me a headache then I tend to their computer up especially if their kids are on thos peer to peer networks downloading viral infected music files.

Wow sounds awesome. Which one did you get exactly? Only 2 hard drives though...? I wasw looking at them at hp's site, they look very impressive, but I can imagine they would cost a LOT more than the Mediasmarts.

Quote:
Demigrator is the program which balances out your storage pool its processor intensive and has been known to bog ones server down to a crawl. So when I was moving files to the ProLiant I was curious of the impact of demigrator and so I was there using the server with no real noticable impact of performance. The other thing I wanted to improve upon was streaming my media content on ORB and SubSonic and both stream very smooth. I have tested the streams on my cell phone, netbook, my fiance with her horrible DSL connection in China can stream no problem at all. I have several people wacking my server and its all good. About the only limitation I will run into is bandwidth so as more people access my server I know I will have to increase it.

Always heard about Orb, but never used it, I guess because I've always used a Slingbox. Nice. Can you have password or user account protected content? Like say you have 4 people who have remote streaming access, can you make sure some can only see certain things, while other people can't say, see family videos or pictures? Can't seem to do that on the Mediasmart, which really sucks..
Quote:

As for the 3.0 I did experience a high CPU utilization cause by wmiprvse.exe which drove me crazy but then I remembered that for some reason my WD USB Drive which I use for BDBB was causing the problem. I had it connected again and forgot to disconnect it now its disconnected and all is well again.

Oh yea the scans for Avast were pretty good. On the ProLiant Avast scanned over 5 TB in about 42 minutes. On the EX470 with 1.5 GB in use it took just under 2 hours. That EX470 has the BE2300 CPU in it.

I did want to see how easy Avast could be uninstalled. Hmm I had to disable the self protect mode. It will not uninstall either from the console or Add & Remove from the control panel. You have to download an unistall utility from the Avast Web Site to remove it. This I did not appreciate as I believe if the software can install itself it should be able to uninstall itself as well.

While I did like Avast I think I may try F-Secure next since JohnBick highly recommends it provided they have a trial period. I will let you know how that works out.

Wow the Proliant sounds like a beast in terms of power especially in comparison to the Mediasmart.. Sounds about the same timing for the Mediasmart I have with Mcafee. You had to use a separate uninstaller? Ugh.. maybe I'll just stick with Mcrappy. Yea please do let me know if F Secure is any better. Thanks for all the great feedback!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:46 pm 

Ya the ProLiant I have can house 2 SATA drives and an IDE Slim Drive. The price was right so I bought it but I bought it mostly for the motherboard and features it had as they were attractive to me and I have plans to build a drive enclosure but for some reason after throwing a couple of 4 bay port multipliers on it to just get it so I could use I sort of dropped the ball on the enclosure but I will get back to it. Hell I am behind on lots of thing including my MSS Port Multiplier.

As for removing Avast I had to go to their site and download a utility to remove their software. Lets just say I was not overjoyed about that one but its not the end of the world either. I still have not gotten around to trying out F-Secure but JohnBick recommends it and uses it and he is a smart person so I have no doubt its a good program.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Ya the ProLiant I have can house 2 SATA drives and an IDE Slim Drive. The price was right so I bought it but I bought it mostly for the motherboard and features it had as they were attractive to me and I have plans to build a drive enclosure but for some reason after throwing a couple of 4 bay port multipliers on it to just get it so I could use I sort of dropped the ball on the enclosure but I will get back to it. Hell I am behind on lots of thing including my MSS Port Multiplier.

As for removing Avast I had to go to their site and download a utility to remove their software. Lets just say I was not overjoyed about that one but its not the end of the world either. I still have not gotten around to trying out F-Secure but JohnBick recommends it and uses it and he is a smart person so I have no doubt its a good program.

Which exact ProLiant did you get, as in the model number or whatever is needed so I can check it and the price out. If I may ask, how much did you pay for it and from where? Do you know for sure you can get higher than 4 port support on it? It seems the Mediasmart can't handle anything above 4 ports..

Yea I don't like the idea of having to use a separate uninstaller.. reminds me of Nortons past products. Looking forward to hearing about the F Secure product whenever you get around to getting that installed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 am 

Dominick_7,

My ProLiant is a DL145 G2 Server so its an older unit. I purchased it at www.computergeeks.com for like $75 or $106 delivered. Its a 1U Rack Mount Server but I have it sitting on a desk and it takes up about 1/3 the desk space. I added RAM and changed out the processors. It takes 2 AMD Opteron Processors but I got my hands on a set of new matched set of Opteron 280 Processors for like $75 off eBay and I added 2 GB of ECC Ram for I believe around $75 as well. I should call the server a 757575. Its riser card can handle 2 PCI-X Cards so I added one with 2 eSTA ports and I plan on getting another one to support 4 more eSATA Ports.

Anyway the price was right. Installing WHS was not bad but getting the right drivers off HP was abit tricky. Once I had that I was up and running.

Computergeeks sells all kinds of off lease stuff for decent prices and you get a 90 day waranty. I plan on building a large enclosure to handle the drive as I mentioned before but have not actually worked on it for sometime but will resume working on it very soon. The WHS software will cost you $100-110.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks