It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WebGuide4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:10 am 

Yesterday I came across an add-in called WebGuide4 that is suppose to allow you to stream music and video from your WHS. The add-in adds a website to your server available when you logon remote it becomes available in the same location that the add-in P80 appears. I have not yet had much success streaming video or playing music when connecting remote. I am wondering if anyone here has tried to use this add-in for their server and what if any success they may of had?

Here is the link for WebGuide4 => http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/default.aspx

The add-in appears to be a joint project of Asciiexpress and Microsoft. With Microsofts involvement I felt this addin would work but as of yet I have not yet been successful and it maybe a setting either on the computers I am testing it with (1) Win7 and (2) Win XP. If anyone has had success with this addin I would greatly appreciate some help.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WebGuide4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm 

I too could never get it to work properly. Eventually dumped it.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This software has no support from Microsoft and was devolved independently .The developer of this add-in now works for Microsoft and as such he can't or won't maintain the software or provide any support anymore. It might have worked at one time with power pack 1 or no power packs but most user can't get the software to work anymore. Your best option is to use similar software such as ORB.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:31 am 

Thanks. Kind of sad not to actively support your own product. I was on the web site and unfortunately not to much going on there. Guess I will play with if for a day or two I was able to get one video to play but thats about it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm 

I was able to get WebGuide4 to steam AVI Videos connecting remote. I tested this with my mobile broadband card on a netbook running Windows XP. The key to getting WebGuide4 to work was to install FFDSHOW Codec Application on the server which is required to run ORB. While I followed the documentation provied by www.wegotserved.com for the installation of ORB on WHS I decided to first test the WebGuide4 out after installing FFDSHOW which also contains the codecs stored with in the K-Lite Codec Pack. After installing the codec pack I had to reboot my server because I ran into an issue with reomote connections but the reboot corrected that issue.

So far I have been able to stream AVI, and WMV file formats using only the WebGuide4 Streaming window. Connecting remotely and changing the player options caused an issue with files not being found so I just just used the WebGuide Streaming Window which worked ok. Now connecting with my 3G Mobile Broadband card is not the fastest connection and the Netbook also not being the fasted thing on earth provided a good refrence test for this because if that could do it then others with more powerful and faster connections would fair better. I will say that there were some intermittent stream issues but I attribute that to the 350 kps stream rate I was able to achieve with my broadband card which is not the fastest thing in the world.

On another note I am going to install ORB to see how that works out but I am not certain if my fiance in China will be able to access ORB but she can access my server so the ability to stream for her is important. Also it will come in handy when I am traveling as it will give me something to watch when I am away from home.

About the only thing I can say that makes the stream virtually impossible is when demigrator kicks in and since I have been ripping DVD's and moving 10-20 movies to the server at a time demigrator does kick in but so far its not been that much of an inconvience.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:35 pm 

jumran wrote:
This software has no support from Microsoft and was devolved independently .The developer of this add-in now works for Microsoft and as such he can't or won't maintain the software or provide any support anymore. It might have worked at one time with power pack 1 or no power packs but most user can't get the software to work anymore. Your best option is to use similar software such as ORB.

I actually installed ORB and it works great! Now I just have to test it with my fiance who lives in China to see if she can access and play the movies. As for WebGuide4 as I mentioned in my previous post I did get it to work. All you need to do is install the FFDSHOW Codec Pac. So now I have two options for streaming video thats stored on my server from remote locations. This is just awesome and it makes having the EX470 MSS even better.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I just installed WebGuide, and the codec pac but i get an error message saying that there is no connection and to check my port/firewall. What do I need to do?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:35 am 

Yesterday someone asked if Webguide4 worked with MP4's and so I went on to test that out and it did not work and when I tried to stream what I knew had worked before now is not working at all. So now I am at a loss about WebGuide4 and will remove it from my server.

However I took jumran's advise and installed ORB after finding out how to install and configure it on wegotserved.com wiki.

Here is the link for your review => http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?t ... ome_Server

This is what I know so far about ORB, It works extremely well, I have tested it with computers running Win XP, VISTA, and Win7. I was able to stream movies to my Window Mobile 6.1 Smart Phone no problem accept I encountered buffering issues but it worked. I have my fiance in China test it out because she doesn't have the greatest bandwith and it works but she reported there is some issues with studdering but then again the time frame she connects is also a busy time for my server. ORB also handles Pictures and Music but for now I am only interested in video streaming.

To improve the performance I have decided to dedicate one of my servers just for streaming video and for that server I will not set the videos for duplication to reduce the impact of demigrator but I will also store my videos on both servers leaving the first one set for duplication this will be somewhat expensive but it will also afford me additional redundancy. Because of the way ORB is set up I do not believe I will need to have the other server setup for remote access or any port forwarding since it connects directly to the ORB Servers or atleast from my observations I believe this to be correct. If I am wrong I will report back this weekend. Right now I am waiting for a new TRM4 to arrive for that server.

So if I were you I would dump WebGuide4 and give ORB a look at to see if its of interest to you or not. You do not even have to run ORB on your WHS as you can run it from one of your PC's which I will do if my server project fails because I have a Desktop Running Win7 that already has 2 eSATA Ports ready to go for future port multipliers.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks