It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: BDBB File error
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:27 pm 

BDBB aborted with a file error. I looked in "Even Viewer" and see that it had an Event ID 7 with the message "the device \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block. I assume I have an uncorrectable read error in the middle of my backup database and not my backup media. I ran the BDBB twice and got the same error both times. What's the best fix?

Gary

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: BDBB File error
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

You'll need to run a full chkdsk on your server hard drives. this link has some instructions on how to do this, instructions below.

Quote:
Resolution: Try to correct the problem by running a full surface scan of the hard drives in your home server:
1. Ensure your home computers are not accessing files in your home server shared folders.
2. Use the steps described below to access the Windows Home Server administrator’s desktop.
3. Open a command prompt window.
4. Type the following command at the command prompt to perform a full surface scan of the primary hard drive:
chkdsk /r
Confirm the volume dismount.
5. Repeat the scan for the other hard drives by typing the following command at the command prompt:
for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1
6. Depending on the size of the hard drives and the amount of data stored on your home server, the chkdsk command may take many hours to complete.
7. While chkdsk runs, additional file conflicts such as “The system cannot find the drive specified” may occur. This is to be expected because chkdsk dismounts the data volumes to complete its operation.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
gfr
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm 

Thanks, that found an error and I think corrected it. At least it said the following at the end of the run: "adding 1 bad cluster to the bad cluster file", "correcting errors in the volume bit map", and "windows has made corrections to the file". My guess is that the drive may be okay now but the data (the backup) may be corrupt. Should I just delete the backups (I have 3 computers connected) and start over?

Gary

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'd try to run it as-is to see if Windows was able to compensate for the bad block. If the Backup DB is indeed corrupt then hopefully the Backup Service will let you know. But I'd try the BDBB backup again to see if that fixed it. Glad to hear the chkdsk worked out!

Thanks