It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: hMailServer setup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:21 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hey guys, all i need to do is be able to recieve an email sent to me@mydomain.net

Anyone setup hMailServer on thier WHS successfully? I've been playing with it all morning, but i'm at the point where i think i might have it working, but i'm not sure how to configure MS Outlook 2003 to send/recieve email using hMailServer. I"ve been reading the forums over at HMailServer.com but to my surprise, i'm unable to find out how to set this up. Keep in mind, i have zero experience in setting up an email server.

Here is what i've done so far:

- Installed hMailServer on my WHS successfully
- verified i can telnet to my WHS mydomian.net port 25
- forwarded ports 25, 110, and 143 to my WHS in my router and excluded the hMailServer.exe in my WHS firewall
-configured my Domain in the hMailServer administrator console following the tutorial http://computingondemand.com/?p=932
- verified my domain MX host is setup correctly at DynDNS.com

All i want to do is recieve or send email using "me@mydomain.net" <obviously replacing that with MY actual domain info>. My domain is setup and pointing to my WHS properly, i can log into it via RDP and the WHS HP webpage to access shared folder with no problems.

How do i configure Outlook 2003 to send/recieve email using my hMailServer?

Image Image

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: hMailServer setup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:09 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You'll need to add an account pointing at the hMailServer. It may be something like this; imap@mydomain.net (or pop@mydomain.net) and smtp@mydomain.net. I should think that somewhere you indicated what type of server you were setting up (POP or IMAP).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

TxDot wrote:
You'll need to add an account pointing at the hMailServer. It may be something like this; imap@mydomain.net (or pop@mydomain.net) and smtp@mydomain.net. I should think that somewhere you indicated what type of server you were setting up (POP or IMAP).

what do you mean "add an account pointing at the hMailServer"?

i don't know what that means? where do i add this account? what type of account?

Image Image

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:50 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

With any email client you have to add an account. I don't have Outlook installed any more but if you go into the Outlook Help system it'll tell you how to add an account. Another option would be to Google "outlook 2003 add account".

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TxDot for this post
holty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:47 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

holty wrote:
TxDot wrote:

what do you mean "add an account pointing at the hMailServer"?

i don't know what that means? where do i add this account? what type of account?

Open Outlook.
Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
Click Add a new e-mail account, then click Next.
Choose POP as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:

User Information
Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
Email Address: Enter your full email address (me@mydomain.net).

Server Information
Incoming mail server (POP): mail.mydomain.net (I believe you will just use mail.mydomain.net ) here
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail.mydomain.net (and again here just mail.mydomain.net )

Login Information
User Name: Enter your full email address (including @mydomain.net)
Password: Enter your hmail password for account "me"

Click Test Account Settings... After receiving the message 'Congratulations! All tests completed successfully', click Close.

If they fail then suggest you note the exact failure message.

Normal mail ports are;
POP3 - port 110
IMAP - port 143
SMTP - port 25
HTTP - port 80
Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465
Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585
IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 993
Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995

A POP mail account is the simplest to set up, and I've given you the instructions for doing that. The hMailServer supports both POP and IMAP which is the best choice for you depends on what you are actually trying to accomplish, and why you believe you need a mail server at your own domain. I've got to wonder at your belief that you need your own private email server if you do not understand the basics of connecting a client to it.

Last edited by Teknmage on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Teknmage for this post
holty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks everyone, i did get it working. The whole problem was i did not enter in the FULL username when configuring the POP3 outlook client.

It was not that i do not know how to configure an email client, i was confused at the post saying i needed something pointing to my hmailserver i did not read into it well enough to understand he meant just configure any email client for pop3.

Image Image

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

holty wrote:
Thanks everyone, i did get it working. The whole problem was i did not enter in the FULL username when configuring the POP3 outlook client.

It was not that i do not know how to configure an email client, i was confused at the post saying i needed something pointing to my hmailserver i did not read into it well enough to understand he meant just configure any email client for pop3.

Well I am glad you where able to get it working.

Thanks