It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 pm 

Add-In title: Twonky Media Server 5.1.1 Update
Download link: new users not allowed to post links.

Fair warning to other HP 490 owners. If you install this update, then the Twonky config page (homeserver:9000/config) displays a "Your trial version has expired" message and presents an input box for a serial number.

I don't have a serial number.

I wish the install process had checked to see if my system would still work after upgrading.

The odd thing is I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, isn't working as a result of the "expired" trial.

I also am not sure what to do next; any ideas?

thanks!!

Last edited by glowrocks on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank glowrocks for this post
Harty01

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Yikeys!

I would try uninstalling Twonky from the addins under Settings, then deleting the installer for the updated one from the Software\Addins directory and then reinstalling the original one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:06 am 

Thanks for the idea.

Interestingly enough, the new version is listed as an available add-in in the settings page w/in the console app. When viewing serverhost:9000/config the version number is listed as 5.1.1 (before it was whatever the default was, a beta or RC version IIRC).

Also, I'm not sure how I would go about installing the original version w/out doing a full system restore ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:16 am 
Founder
Founder

In the 3.0 software, Twonky is integrated into the HP install and not available as an Add-In. :( If you're not able to manually repair things then you'll likely need to perform a Server Recovery. Do let us know how this ends up working out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 am 

Thanks for letting me know. I guess at least my experience may help another newbie! I am surprised that the Twonky s/w doesn't handle this any better.

At least you said "server recovery" and not "factory reset." That makes a big difference! Also, at this point, I really can't tell what's NOT working; the only indication of a problem is the warning message on the main twonky config screen.

I'll post an update if/when there are any changes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 pm 

I did a "Server Recovery" today which resolved the problem caused by adding in the non-HP provided Twonky media server upgrade.

The server recovery went well, taking under an hour.

*Many* hours later, the box and all clients were all patched, in sync w/the right versions and so on. In other words, it sucked for a while; I installed and patched both clients and server I don't know how many times.

I think maybe the recovery image on the DVD was a bit older than what shipped w/the unit, which caused the confusion in terms of doing all of the required upgrades. I had no problems out of the box, which also supports that theory.

Anyway, the good news is server recoveries do work; I lost no data and things are looking good!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:57 pm 

For $15 you can buy a new serial number. I am wondering if the upgrade is worth it and if it works with the HP mediasmart ex series (I have an ex495). I think the twonky software as installed by hp is flaky - it's speed varies dramatically and sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't on my sony bravia tv. Also flaky when attempting to stream through the hp streaming browser page. If the upgrade fixes any of this and doesn't break the rest of the HP install, I would be in. Does anybody have any experience or advice on this?

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

rgfcpq,

I agree. The Twonky/HP software is a bit flaky. On my Sony XBR9, i'm able to access both photos & music but not videos. How about you? What media/content types (e.g photos,music,videos) files are you able to access?

thanks,
Harty01
EX490 - E7500

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:28 pm 

That is the EXACT problem I have. Plus, it flakes out periodically when trying to access content through the streamer via the web page. Especially bad with higher quality videos or videos not ripped with the HP converter software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

twonky in an form is junk. I have tried to love it many times....
i always end up going back to tversity.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I notice that Twonky now has a 5.1.2 version for WHS on their website. No word on whether it works.

I'm still trying to get Twonky to work with my Popcorn Hour C-200, and it just doesn't seem to see it. The one option under "Media Servers" that appears close is "Syabas Firmware-Based" although I've also tried the generic DLNA options. I was hoping that an update from 5.1 to 5.1.2 might help, but I'm not willing to risk breaking the existing install.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:22 pm 

Thought I'd bump this, seeing as HP isn't updating more, and Twonky is now on Version 6.0.32

Anythoughts as to whether an updgrade (likely via paid license) would be an improvement for an EX495 relative to where HP's Twonky updates stopped?

Video on HD formats is a problem for me on the old, HP included version, so I've disabled video streaming and just use it for music and photos.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:02 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If I could find some way to have just DLNA, I would uninstall Twonky in a heartbeat.
I don't really need stuff streamed on the net and We can get to our movies/music/videos from the shared folders.

I tried Twonky 5.1.6 add-in and that was a bust also. Even paid for a license, Waste of money that they don't deserve.
Funny thing is it worked for the trial period, then I used my 6 license number which worked, then it all started having errors.

I have given up, I would battle to the end if it was worth it, but it's not.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks