It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHS Health
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:35 am 

Nigel and Alex,

Great add-in for WHS. Oddly, my health data is old and says it's from 2009-09-03. I assume there is some log that is hung up and I need to reset. Any ideas?

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 am 
Founder
Founder

Teknmage wrote:
Anyone recall a program called Clientinfo? It generates XML files and stores them not only for the WHS but for the client computers as well on the server. It has the kind of information that is being requested here in an XML format, any chance that you could check for it's existence and incorporate it's data as well?

I have an external Seagate "FreeAgent" USB drive that is at a critical level in the health.xml file, this external hard drive is not even listed in WHS Health.... It seems that if Health is reporting an event as critical it should be listed?

Code:
<Notification UniqueID="qsm.ad3445f7-e9db-4f15-8746-9f2854c26af6.Object" Severity="WHS_INFO" IsSuppressed="0" TextHeader="Storage Status" TextDescription="Volume with name FREEAGENT DRIVE is QSM_OS_UNKNOWN" />
  <Notification UniqueID="qsm.5bb8b245-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.Object" Severity="WHS_INFO" IsSuppressed="0" TextHeader="Storage Status" TextDescription="Disk with name Unknown disk Seagate FreeAgent USB Device is QSM_OS_UNKNOWN" />

The Backup info section has a lot more info about the MSS clients, any chance you could report this info, client name, IP address, OS in use, make, and model number?

Those notifications aren't Critical, they are "WHS_INFO" which are not visible in the Server Console and so not exposed to the user. There's a ton of those active at any given time on your server, you can view them all with my Notification Generator tool stickied in this software forum.

I personally am reluctant to incorporate feed data from a 3rd party app that is relatively unknown to me, but as Nigel did all the web and xml parsing code I'll leave it up to him to respond to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 am 
Founder
Founder

Texas-Hansen wrote:
Nigel and Alex,

Great add-in for WHS. Oddly, my health data is old and says it's from 2009-09-03. I assume there is some log that is hung up and I need to reset. Any ideas?

Thanks for the feedback! :) Unfortunately it does seem that there are real issues for some users with the health file, you can see some discussion here:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 021a2829b/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:41 am 

It does work and works flawlessly on my HTC Hero Android, for all you Android fans (and AT&T haters like me) :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:03 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Thanks for all the great feedback, I'll be building a new release tonight that includes the xml check.

As for future developments I'm happy to look at them, but as far as incorporating third party info thats quite hard to try and cram some of that data in (look at the drives view, not terribly happy with how that had to be shrunk down so much but it was necessary because of the long drive names) so i'm reluctant at this stage to go down that route.

As for other devices, I'm pleased to see it's OK on Android and obviously the Apple devices. Would be good if people let us know what it's good and bad on as well so we can look at styling it for other devices.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:22 pm 

Cougar wrote:

As for other devices, I'm pleased to see it's OK on Android and obviously the Apple devices. Would be good if people let us know what it's good and bad on as well so we can look at styling it for other devices.

I see no format changes on android. It's perfect! just like your iphone screenshots. :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I like it. It works for me over wifi, 3g and gprs

Well done another great add in

ern

Macbook Air, Mac Mini
Viewbook Win8.1 Laptop
Acer Revo W7 PC for recording TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

We've updated the release to 1.0.0.7 to put a check in for the existence of the Health.XML file. Also updated the help and about pages to show it's not all about the Apple devices based on your feedback.

Thanks all.

And if you are interested in how to do a check for a file in Wix... this is whats been put into the Add-In.

Code:
<Property Id="XMLEXISTS">
            <DirectorySearch Id="CheckXMLDir" Path="C:\inetpub\intranet\health" Depth="1">
                <FileSearch Name="health.xml" />
            </DirectorySearch>
        </Property>
        <Condition Message="WHS Health requires Health.xml delivered by Power Pack 3 (or higher). Please ensure Power Pack 3 (or higher) is installed.">XMLEXISTS OR Installed</Condition>

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:37 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I had some time to go over my issues from last night, and Alex's post related to CqvSvc.exe error was right on target. My logs are showing this error:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: CqvSvc.exe
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9000
Date: 12/10/2009
Time: 8:04:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MCSERVER
Description:
Exception occurred: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Message: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Think I need to roll back PP3, but dumb question: what's the best way of doing that? Server restore? I can't seem to find anything on the net that talks about how to uninstall the final version of PP3 and can't tell by RDC'ing exactly what packages are installed by PP3. Am I looking at a server restore then?

Thanks,

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:46 am 

Hi,

i checked weather the site works with Windows Mobile (6.5) - in Opera the page looks okay. I don't know why but opera zooms in the page although it fits on the screen... a short period of time later it zooms out and everything is okay.
In Internet Explorer (6) the page looks horrible but i don't know anyone who use ie on WinMobile :D

I don't know how you designed the page and the code behind, but maybe it is possible to add support for themes?

greetz and thanks for your great add ins :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:03 am 
Founder
Founder

@jam3ohio - you can remove it via Add/Remove programs on the server, you'll need to log in via Remote Desktop.

@Mike - Thanks for the testing of Opera on WinMo 6.5. I use IE on my WinMo 6.1 phone and it's awful. :( Theme support is definitely possible, though I'm not sure how high that is on the priority list for us.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 pm 

Hi yakuza,

may be your phone is able to run Opera mobile 10 (beta - seems to be stable) http://www.opera.com/mobile/ too?
You should give it a try.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:37 am 

yakuza wrote:
Texas-Hansen wrote:
Nigel and Alex,

Thanks for the feedback! :) Unfortunately it does seem that there are real issues for some users with the health file, you can see some discussion here:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 021a2829b/

Alex,

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait until MS issues a fix.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:14 am 
Founder
Founder

Texas, I presume you've tried a server reboot. You could try manually deleting the xml file and see if WHS re-creates it. Unfortunately I've not experienced this issue so am unable to do any testing, and the bugs on Connect aren't resolved so we may very well have to wait for MS.

Mike, Opera 10 does indeed run on my phone, unfortunately the 320x240 display isn't conducive to rendering regular webpages and no multitouch makes it cumbersome to zoom. But the Health display does indeed look better than in IE! I still think the ideal solution is a custom .css file that better formats the site for IE, but only if there's much demand for it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm 

I ran into a problem with WHS Health. I have a WHS with PP3 newly installed and it has been rebooted. The XML page shows up. However, I did not register an external domain name for my WHS. I think this is the source of my problem. I installed the WHS Health Add-In and selected the option to require authentication on the page. In the WHS Connector, I get an error on the Home Server Settings page when I display the Add-In screen for WHS Health. When it tries to paint the screen with the two check-boxes and the addresses, and error box pops up. There error loops over and over and I cannot do anything else with the Connector. It says:

Error getting Domain Name: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: uriString
at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
at
Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSHealth.HomeServerSettingsExtender.HealthGroupBox_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)

If I try to got to what should be the web page for my server on the local LAN, I get an "Service Unavailable" message.

Thank you for any guidance!

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next