It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS BDBB problem???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 pm 

Hi,
i just uninstalled the whs BDBB add-in from my server and all its data is still there. (about 780GB of failed backups) I was just wondering how i could get rid of that data. i only have about 3 TB of space on my server and only 650 GB free.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS BDBB problem???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here and may need some clarification...

I believe you have installed the BDBB Add-In on your WHS server via the console. What did you do with it after you installed it? If you had it back up to another disk it will NOT remove the source files from your server (if that is what you expect); it will only make a copy.

You indicate you have 780GB of "failed" backups that you wish to delete. Are these failures of the client backups or failures of the BDBB backup? If they are simply showing as failures in the automatic client backup process they will purge themselves over time. I generally do not recommend marking them for immediate deletion (via the Computers & Backup tab) as they may actually contain some valid data stored before the failure. If the problem is that the client backup database id corrupted, you can go to Settings-->Backup and do a repair. If you wish to just delete the existing client backup database you can install the WHS Toolkit Add-In (good one to have installed for other reasons, too) and "Reset"it from within there.

If it is the BDBB backup you wish to delete you can access the drive via a remote Desktop session, go to My Computer and directly remove them from the target disk. (DO NOT attempt this with the client backup database!)

As for the amount of disk space and managing that, you need to go into Settings-->Backup and adjust the parameters for months/weeks/days of backups to retain. (This will take effect at the next cleanup -- generally the Sunday night backup/maintenance window unless you use "Cleanup Now" on that screen. You have not provided sufficient information for me to judge whether the size of the backup database is in line with your system configuration.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: WHS BDBB problem???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:35 am 
Founder
Founder

SGT Awesomesauce wrote:
Hi,
i just uninstalled the whs BDBB add-in from my server and all its data is still there.

I don't believe this is a problem, personally I'd be upset if my data were removed when an Add-In was uninstalled. You're best off re-installing the add-in and deleting the backups via the BDBB user interface.

Thanks