It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:40 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Information and download can be found at this URL.

http://www.homeserverland.com/blogs/b/h ... -v1-3.aspx

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:30 am 

Looks interesting. Have you tried out this add-in yet?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 am 

Here is a good writeup/setup guide:

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/ ... /#comments

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:54 am 

Very interesting. Thanks for the info and reviews guys.

So, who's going to give it a try?

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 am 

Texas-Hansen wrote:

I am considering but don't like the fact that I have to install additional add ins that I have previously never needed to use. CBick sounds like he is ready to try, would make for a great conversation piece at his W7 party :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 am 

dbone1026 wrote:
Texas-Hansen wrote:

I am considering but don't like the fact that I have to install additional add ins that I have previously never needed to use. CBick sounds like he is ready to try, would make for a great conversation piece at his W7 party :mrgreen:

That's my same concern. I understand the need for the other add-ins but was suprised at the number of them needed and that leads me to be concerned about whether adding all these add-ins will conflict with another existing one and create problems.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:39 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This all looks very cool, but I am not sure it allows me any additional functionality over simply remoting into the WHS from within the web page. By doing this I can get to the console and see the same information and make changes as I need to. I may take a look at it later as I already have those add-ins installed for other purposes. I will let you know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:56 am 

clc4912 wrote:
This all looks very cool, but I am not sure it allows me any additional functionality over simply remoting into the WHS from within the web page. By doing this I can get to the console and see the same information and make changes as I need to. I may take a look at it later as I already have those add-ins installed for other purposes. I will let you know.

Thanks for volunteering :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:10 pm 

I had a try at installing this one (I already use autoexit for a while now, but Whiist was new to me).
Installation went very smooth and I didn't have any problem with the addins messing up eachother.

I like it very much as it gives the info in one central place and the link with autoexit is also very cool.
I will let you know if I experience any problems, but atm it's working like a charm, and for a first version, it is very good already!
WHS DiskMgt is also on the system and not causing any problems.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:51 pm 
Founder
Founder

It looks like an interesting concept, but I personally don't like all the manual steps required, this really should be an Add-In. Especially with the requirement on other Add-Ins, I'll be holding off until it's packaged in a way that's easier for end users.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:48 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The screen shot is from my test server.
I do agree with everyone, that it would be better if it installed like a regular add in, so I'm a little hesitant to load it on my production server yet.
The only thing that I have done was install it to verify that the steps were correct and take a couple of screen shots.
I will try and play with it some tommorrow. :)

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

One should be able to configure the IIS-Part manually instead of using Whiist, no?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hey guys this is the creator of P80 and I'd like to respond to some of the concerns you have with this application. They are very good questions and I hope I can express why this application is designed the way it is.

KaiBo wrote:
One should be able to configure the IIS-Part manually instead of using Whiist, no?

Yup no problem for people who even know what IIS is. I wanted to make this application as easy as possible to install. Without manually doing it in IIS, Whiist is the best option. I could also script the install of IIS, as I allready script the application pools for the install, But Whiist makes it extremely easy to set permissions on the directories which otherwise would be difficult and cause problems with a normal user.

yakuza wrote:
It looks like an interesting concept, but I personally don't like all the manual steps required, this really should be an Add-In. Especially with the requirement on other Add-Ins, I'll be holding off until it's packaged in a way that's easier for end users.

Perhaps their is a way to install this application in the remote console. It is not a console application though, it is a website. But as the reviews and many users attest to its extremely easy to install and takes about 5 minutes.

clc4912 wrote:

I agree you can do this. However a lot of firewalls do not allow this sort of activity and ports are blocked. I developed this application because when I am work I had no way of getting any information about WHS. P80 communicates on port 80 so I can retrieve this information anywhere. I can also use Autoexit anywhere I am as well. Can you remote into the console from your Iphone and shutdown a computer that is running on your WHS network? This is the true beauty of P80.

You have other add-ins installed for other purposes? I am not sure what this means, but you can still use Whiist and Autoexit in the remote console and in P80. I do not disable any add-in by my use in integrating its functionality.

dbone1026 wrote:

The only add-in required is Whiist. There seems to be no problems with this add-in from the WHS community that I can tell. In fact many people love this add-in. I thought this was a win-win in ease of use and general acceptance.

---------
I will see what I can do about integrating the installation into the Remote Console. Its probably doable, but I don't see any benefit. Its a website that resides on its own and calls information from the WHS API. Even if it was integrated into the console, Whiist would still be needed just due to the ease of use of setting up permissions for users and allowing them to setup the website on the private or public site of the WHS website.

I will start to browse this forum more regularly and hope to answer any more questions you may have.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Snowdins, thanks for stopping by and responding to our feedback! Don't misunderstand us, I think we're all in agreement that you've got a nice add-in that shows promise and value. :)

I'd like to clarify that I'm not actually advocating for you to put this functionality in the Server Console, I think it's fine as a web page. My issue is with the manual install process that requires additional add-ins and accessing Remote Desktop to install. These are inhibitors that will reduce the breadth of adoption that you might enjoy should you package the whole thing into a single, one-click WHS Add-In. The IIS customizations are relatively straight forward in Wix, I think you'd be able to have this bundled into an add-in with just a small amount of work.

Thanks again for sharing your thinking behind your add-in and I hope you'll continue to visit to see what else the site has to offer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
The IIS customizations are relatively straight forward in Wix

I was not aware of this. I will be looking into this today! Thanks for the heads up =)

Thanks