It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:07 am 

@ snowdins - I just installed, took now more then a few secs (just like any other addin). I don't have Auto Exit installed right now so that is the only feature I lose. Otherwise app looks great, I had no problem accessing from my web page

Excellent work :banana: :chicken: :cheers: :beerme: \:D/ :whs:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
snowdins

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
@ snowdins - I just installed, took now more then a few secs (just like any other addin). I don't have Auto Exit installed right now so that is the only feature I lose. Otherwise app looks great, I had no problem accessing from my web page

Now that's what I am talking about.. SWEET! :beerme:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:25 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Upon installing 2.0.5 you may see this error " Failed While Processing Webvirtualdirs" and the installation will fail. Something on your Windows Home Server has changed the IP Address of the default website. P80 did not do this, nor did any prior version. I did not take this under consideration for the installer, nor did I or any of my testers.

I will have a fix for this, this evening. In the meantime if you want to get P80 running now, go into IIS on your WHS. Right click the "Default Website" icon and select properties. Goto the Website tab, if not allready there. Make sure the IP Address field states "All Unassigned". Save the changes and reinstall P80.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:10 pm 

snowdins wrote:
Upon installing 2.0.5 you may see this error " Failed While Processing Webvirtualdirs" and the installation will fail. Something on your Windows Home Server has changed the IP Address of the default website. P80 did not do this, nor did any prior version. I did not take this under consideration for the installer, nor did I or any of my testers.

I will have a fix for this, this evening. In the meantime if you want to get P80 running now, go into IIS on your WHS. Right click the "Default Website" icon and select properties. Goto the Website tab, if not allready there. Make sure the IP Address field states "All Unassigned". Save the changes and reinstall P80.

I don't know if this was related to P80 or not. I installed it in the morning first thing yesterday, everything went fine. A few hours later I was remoting in to two of my HTPCs and whenever I tried to get into the shared folders I would get a message telling me that I was locked out, although I had no issues on my wifes pc or mine. As a test, I restarted my desktop pc and got the same exact problem. When I tried to log in to my website (family.homeserver.com) I would get to the lg in page, but whenever I entered in my username and password it would tell me that it was invalid. I ended up uninstalling P80 and rebooting my server. Afterwards the problem went away. I did reinstall P80 and have not noticed the problem again, could have just been coincidence.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
I don't know if this was related to P80 or not. I installed it in the morning first thing yesterday, everything went fine. A few hours later I was remoting in to two of my HTPCs and whenever I tried to get into the shared folders I would get a message telling me that I was locked out, although I had no issues on my wifes pc or mine. As a test, I restarted my desktop pc and got the same exact problem. When I tried to log in to my website (family.homeserver.com) I would get to the lg in page, but whenever I entered in my username and password it would tell me that it was invalid. I ended up uninstalling P80 and rebooting my server. Afterwards the problem went away. I did reinstall P80 and have not noticed the problem again, could have just been coincidence.

Are the two HTPC's Windows Media Center Pc's? We have seem some rather interesting things when those are connected up to P80, in regards to what they do to a WHS. We have seen how they create rogue machines on the network, create an enormous amount of activity with shares, and act weirdly when an iisreset command is issued to the WHS.

In your case, I don't think uninstall/install of P80 was what did it. I am confident it was the server reboot. It sounds like your WHS was blocking all access to any new pc's on their reboot to try and reconnect ( did your htpc's reboot at some point and try to reconnect to WHS? )

P80 uses a technique called Single Sign-On for security. This is a documented way to allow WHS or rather ASP.NET to authenticate users. It basically consists of coping 2 keys of xml from one portion of your machine to the web.config of P80. P80 in no way does anything with security other than read in those 2 keys from a config file. So I am not sure how my application could be locking out accounts, this seems very weird. I have not heard of anyone else running into this problem. If it seems to persist please let me know (email me at snowdins at yahoo dot com).

Did security issues now arise due to the previous bundle of security patches applied this week.. hrmmmm.

If it happens again try running iisreset from the command prompt (run) on your WHS. Id like to know if this solves the problem, if it doesn't then it for sure points to something other than P80. If it does then it could mean that they way ASP is handling security is getting foobared. However I don't think WHS shares use IIS to manage authentication for shares.

Typing out loud haha..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:42 pm 

Works like a charm on my 48X, I till try to test it on my 47X tomorrow. I got a new camera that has been taking up all my free time. :banana:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:53 am 

snowdins wrote:
Are the two HTPC's Windows Media Center Pc's? We have seem some rather interesting things when those are connected up to P80, in regards to what they do to a WHS. We have seen how they create rogue machines on the network, create an enormous amount of activity with shares, and act weirdly when an iisreset command is issued to the WHS.

In your case, I don't think uninstall/install of P80 was what did it. I am confident it was the server reboot. It sounds like your WHS was blocking all access to any new pc's on their reboot to try and reconnect ( did your htpc's reboot at some point and try to reconnect to WHS? )

P80 uses a technique called Single Sign-On for security. This is a documented way to allow WHS or rather ASP.NET to authenticate users. It basically consists of coping 2 keys of xml from one portion of your machine to the web.config of P80. P80 in no way does anything with security other than read in those 2 keys from a config file. So I am not sure how my application could be locking out accounts, this seems very weird. I have not heard of anyone else running into this problem. If it seems to persist please let me know (email me at snowdins at yahoo dot com).

Did security issues now arise due to the previous bundle of security patches applied this week.. hrmmmm.

If it happens again try running iisreset from the command prompt (run) on your WHS. Id like to know if this solves the problem, if it doesn't then it for sure points to something other than P80. If it does then it could mean that they way ASP is handling security is getting foobared. However I don't think WHS shares use IIS to manage authentication for shares.

Typing out loud haha..

Reboot on WHS did the trick and I have not encountered that problem (I still have P80 installed), so I think it was just coincidence that all this happened at the same time I installed P80. Crazy stuff man!!!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
snowdins
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:04 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cool, it seems most people are enjoying the new version and the ease of install =).

The next version, due in a couple months ](*,) , will have French and Japanese translations (all ready done just need to implement) as well as a monitoring module for a device called TED 5000. Thus you will be able to monitor your power consumption and how much you are currently spending if you have the device installed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:53 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks Kris for a great Add-In.

Installed on my EX470 with no issues whatsoever.

Only thing is I couldn't find it on the right hand side of anywhere!

You know I have had my WHS for nearly 2 years now and never quite grasped the differences between the HP MediaSmart Server Website, Windows Home Server Home Page and HP Photo Webshare! :oops: :oops:

All is OK now though! :D

Just wondered what (if any) Services you guys monitor?

I would like to monitor Avast! but there are numerous entries for that and I am not sure which one would be the one to monitor?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:43 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

A quick question about P80 if I may...

ISTR seeing somewhere that it looks great on an iPhone...what is the secret to accessing P80 on the iPhone then?

I ask because I currently use Safari to hit my WHS Home Page, logon and access P80 from there...all of these pages are so small as to be amost unreadable and I spend most of my time swiping the screen to resize/scroll to where I need to be and when I finally get to P80 I have the same issue.

Is there a direct way to access P80 using the iPhone and have a readable display or have I missed something here?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well I had mentioned it looked great on the Iphone as in the Safari browser on the phone didnt totally screw it up. A guy, I forgot his name *yikes*, created a template to display on phones (makes everything bigger). I will try to include that in the next build.

If you know CSS you can modify the test.css file and have P80 look anyway you want practically.

Also a new build should be publicly available in the next couple weeks. The latest build is now in testing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

What I also do is put a bookmark on my iphone at the p80 sumarry screen. It will still ask you for your credentials but you wont hae to click the P80 link on the WHS website. One quicker way to get to P80 =).

There is also a way to get rid of the login all together if you wish. Let me know and I will post how to do it as its very easy. That way you can get to p80 by just clicking an icon on your iphone, or whatever browser you are using.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:55 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for the quick replies Kris,

I would be interested in anything that lets me get to P80 quickly & easily including both the iPhone bookmark and the no login method.

The iPhone .css display template sounds the best idea...I do a similar thing with my Weather website.

If you use the iPhone in landscape mode (or a web browser on a PC of course) and go to http://www.glyn.me/weather you will see my website the way it was intended but it is difficult to see and navigate on the iPhone.

Now if you hold the iPhone normally in Portrait mode and again type in http://www.glyn.me/weather you will see a text only version that is both easy to see and navigate on the iPhone.

Now I can't claim credit for that as my html skills are sorely lacking but it is a great example - although I wouldn't really want P80 to display text only as it is far too pretty to look at! :lol:

But an iPhone optimized P80 would be great!

I am also looking forward to the next build as I see you intend to incorporate Cloudberry info - I have been working with AndyK to help Beta his WHS plug-in so am keen to see how P80 will show the Cloudberry info.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

To get to P80 without logging in: NOTE: ANYONE can use P80 at this point on your WHS

Edit Web.config with notepad or any other text editor. This file is found at: C:\program files\P80

Find the following section:
Code:
<machineKey validationKey="my key do not copy" decryptionKey="my key do not copy" validation="SHA1" decryption="AES" />
    <authentication mode="Forms">
      <forms name="RemotePortalAuth" loginUrl="../remote/logon.aspx" protection="All" path="/" timeout="12000" requireSSL="true" />
    </authentication>
    <authorization>
      <deny users="?" />
      <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>

Put a <!-- at the beginning and a --> at the end. You are basically commenting out the authorization section for P80. It should look like the following:

Code:
<!--<machineKey validationKey="my key do not copy" decryptionKey="my key do not copy" validation="SHA1" decryption="AES" />
    <authentication mode="Forms">
      <forms name="RemotePortalAuth" loginUrl="../remote/logon.aspx" protection="All" path="/" timeout="12000" requireSSL="true" />
    </authentication>
    <authorization>
      <deny users="?" />
      <allow users="*" />
    </authorization> -->

Now you can get to P80 directly by going to the P80 folder. For example: http://myservername.com/P80

When you get to the P80 summary screen on your IPhone just select to "Add to Homescreen". In fact I have two created. One for when I am at home and one for when I am away(I can not use my domain name on my lan)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Regarding the cloudberry integration. It basically shows the stats for all the backup plans. I sent Andy an email last night regarding start/stop/pause backups from P80 and he said they may be able to get that in the API this week. That would be very cool and I will keep you updated.

edit: couple of new screenshots:

Thanks