All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:27 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Dear Alex,

thank you the add in, it is great.

I have a couple of questions:
a) could you tell me where on the pool it is saved? (not on a share?)
b) would it be possible to have the possibility of scheduling (say once a week Sundays at 7am for example)
perhaps this would be in conjuction with tickbox indication that previous backup would be deleted.

c) Finally I am after a solution where I can have the whs database/client backups automatically written to a usb drive as soon as I attach this.
For a small business this would be very valuable; plug it in in the morning and take it out after work to take off site. (Even better (now I am on a roll...) would be if 2 usb drives would be recognised and used alternately, old data deleted and new written)

Do you know of any way to do this, or does one always have to go through the console?

Thanks for you thoughts,

Jaap

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4078

Here is the thread were you would want to post your questions.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:23 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Chris,

have copied this over to the thread you suggested, although I am worried it may be snowed under there.

thank,

Jaap

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 am 

Jaap_98 wrote:
Hi Chris,

have copied this over to the thread you suggested, although I am worried it may be snowed under there.

thank,

Jaap

Alex is very good at responding to questions. You can always PM him if your question goes unanswered.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Jaap, thanks for your questions. I'm glad the others linked you to the primary BDBB topics as they contain the answers to all your questions already, but I can cover them again briefly here. If you'd like more detail you might want to read through the other two topics.

a) If you save to "Server Storage", BDBB will store the backups it creates in an Application Folder, this is in D:\folders\{89*.

b) Scheduling has been a common request but one I've not implemented yet, primarily because there is currently no way to perform an incremental backup and instead a full backup must be performed, which can be in the many hundreds of GB or more. Your scenario of only keeping one copy and deleting the previous is reasonable, and I'll keep it in mind but I'm not committing to add scheduling at this time.

JohnBick and others have produced a script that can be scheduled and does the same thing, a search on "automated server backup" should get you that.

c) This is an interesting idea, it's definitely possible. The first issue I think of is how to notify the user when the backup is complete, this would require checking the Server Console since there are no indicators on the server or drive that could be used. I'll keep this in mind but have no plans to implement at this time.

Thanks