It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

atomarchio wrote:
From what I am reading, it sounds like that is not possible.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I can try?

Several people have pointed out several different options for you to try, including this option that, at least on paper, allows you to do exactly what you're asking for, albeit via jumping over some technical hurdles.

If you're looking for an easy, stable, hassle-free way of doing this, JohnBick's suggestion seems to come the closest. If you're looking for an easy, stable, hassle-free way of doing this on your LX195, there isn't one.

--kurt

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

klieber wrote:
atomarchio wrote:
From what I am reading, it sounds like that is not possible.

Several people have pointed out several different options for you to try, including this option that, at least on paper, allows you to do exactly what you're asking for, albeit via jumping over some technical hurdles.

If you're looking for an easy, stable, hassle-free way of doing this, JohnBick's suggestion seems to come the closest. If you're looking for an easy, stable, hassle-free way of doing this on your LX195, there isn't one.

--kurt

But why would one want to use a WHS server for this when it really is not needed?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:59 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

atomarchio wrote:
At this point, I would like a way to access old e-mails stored on the server for my account and my wife's account on outlook express. From what I am reading, it sounds like that is not possible.

I sounds like, from what you are saying that you are looking for an easy solution where "easy" meets your rather restricted :wink: defintion of that word. I agree with Kurt that it dosen't exist based on (my assessment) of your definiton of easy. I would advise you to say away from putting you email on the server. If you want complicated then you will definitely find it that way. Forget the server... lots of easier alternatives have been suggested already in this thread and as JohnBick says... why would you want you email on your server when there are good solutions that meet your needs without asking for the complications that brings.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
atomarchio wrote:
... Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I can try?

I'm not sure what service you use, but I use POP servers at both Earthlink and Optimum On-Line with Mozilla Thunderbird for our mail clients. As I noted above they CAN be configured to deliver the mail to multiple clients and continue to hold the mail at the server. I do manual deletions via the web on a regular basis to make certain that they servers do not reach capacity. The bottom line is that all the mail is available on either client.

I believe this is what you are looking for and it can be done with a POP server.

I'm not interested in sending e-mail to multiple clients as I would have more e-mail to manage and then delete.

What I was hoping for is a way to store the e-mail files on WHS and then access them as needed in case I need an old e-mail from a few weeks/months back without having to turn on that specific PC every time?

I don't want to add the task of deleting/manage more copies of e-mails to do this though.

Thank you for your response.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:04 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

atomarchio wrote:
I'm not interested in sending e-mail to multiple clients as I would have more e-mail to manage and then delete.

What I was hoping for is a way to store the e-mail files on WHS and then access them as needed in case I need an old e-mail from a few weeks/months back without having to turn on that specific PC every time?

I don't want to add the task of deleting/manage more copies of e-mails to do this though.

You can already do exactly what you are stating here by using the nightly automatic backups your server already does for you. However, there would be steps you would have to perform and I believe, based on what you have said in this thread, that you would not consider that easy.

No offense... unfortuantly sometimes computers are more complicated that a lot of folks want to fool with. :D
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:00 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

SeaRay33 wrote:
JimP wrote:
If you decide to use Gmail... you do NOT need to forward your email to your Gmail account(s). Instead, you can configure Gmail to automatically fetch your POP3 mail... and then you can use IMAP on many email machines to connect to Gmail.

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that atomarchio would like to keep his email address the same and not have to check the span filters in both places. My email is forwarded immediately as it hits the sever for my "primary" email address and the spam filters there do not get involved. Keeps me from having to check the spam filters there for any email someone says I should have received. If atomarich dosen't mind having to check his ISP's spam filters preiodically, then, yes, he could avoid the forwarding. I decided it was better to forward for the reasons I just stated instead of letting Gmail collect the email after his ISP filters it, thereby letting Gmail do all the spam filtering.

George,

I my case... My ISP does not do any spam filtering (this is my own domain)... and instead they just host my account. Hence, there is no spam filter on my ISP to even check.

When you forward your mail from your ISP to google... does the "from" change as a result? IE: Is it the same as if you actually manually forwarded the email (changing the "from" to yourself)? I had assumed it would be... which is why I did not try forwarding the mail. When Gmail "fetches" my mail from my ISP... the "from" information is not changed. If in fact the "from" does not change... maybe I will just forward all of mail.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:58 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JimP wrote:
George,

I my case... My ISP does not do any spam filtering (this is my own domain)... and instead they just host my account. Hence, there is no spam filter on my ISP to even check.

When you forward your mail from your ISP to google... does the "from" change as a result? IE: Is it the same as if you actually manually forwarded the email (changing the "from" to yourself)? I had assumed it would be... which is why I did not try forwarding the mail. When Gmail "fetches" my mail from my ISP... the "from" information is not changed. If in fact the "from" does not change... maybe I will just forward all of mail.

/Jim

Not sure I completely understand your question, Jim. But the from is always the person/company sending me the mail. It the Virginia Tech mail servers (my primary email address... MyAlais@vt.edu) sees mail form some place/person on a "black list" or just on a list vt.edu percieves as spam and my mail goes through the VT mail servers, it will capture the "black listed" email and put it in a spam folder. I don't want to have to check that spam inbox as well as the spam inbox in Google. That is why I pass it directly on to Gmail with the senders's address unchanged.

Hope that answers your question.

Since the OP has made it quite clear he does not want to farward mail to Gmail, I think we should drop the subject for fear of hijacking his thread. If you want to discuss this futher perhaps a PM would be the best way to handle it.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:58 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

atomarchio wrote:

I will try one more time. I think you are totally missing the point. Mail as it exists today... does exactly what you want without involving a home server at all. All that a MSS app for mail will do is complicate your life miserably.

If your email provider supports iMAP... just use that and your ability to access your mail from everywhere is solved. It does exactly what you want. The only issue is that if you want to keep an archive of all mail forever... there is a slight twist... because if you delete your mail... then it is gone.

However... that is where Gmail comes in. When you set up your email client (ex: Outlook) to connect to Gmail via IMAP... if you delete a message... it will dissapear... but Gmail will keep a copy forever in an area called "all email". The steps are dead simple:

1) Create a Gmail account... and set it up for IMAP
2) Configure your mail client (ex: outlook) to get its mail from Gmail instead of your existing email account
3) Set your current email account to forward all email to your new Gmail account.... then you never ever have to go look at your existing email account again. (if for some reason you cannot forward the mail... then alternately configure Gmail to go and pick it up on your behalf. It is trivial to do in Gmail.
4) You are done.

Now... you can:

1) Read your email on any computer in your house.
2) If you read an email on one computer... it will be marked read on every other computer
3) If you delete your email on any computer... it will be deleted from every other computer
4) If you are traveling without a computer, and want to check your mail from any public computer... you can log into gmail and see your mail
5) If you want to view any of your mail on a smart phone (I personally use an iPhone... but most will work)... then it works the same as any other computer that you own
6) 20 years from now... if you want to find an old email... log into Gmail, and the "all mail" section will have every email you ever sent or received... and you can search for and find anything in a few milliseconds.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:16 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I've just noticed this thread via RSS and I've only had a quick speed-read of this thread because it has gone 1 o'clock inthe morning, I am still working and I have to be up at 5am so I'll be brief now and come back during normal office hours! :crazy:

I would ike a 'full strength' email solution so I can run Outlook as my client on any of the PC's in my house (and possibly remotely as well) and wondered if there was a good way to do this?

I have seen the Office Maven solution and the one that caught my eye was by Paul Smith and was called VPOP3;

http://www.pscs.co.uk/

I did email him some weeks ago but never received a reply... :(

Without wishing to go down the Exchange Server route and apart from either of the two mentioned above is there any other solution out there please?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:53 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi im new here as well, i was looking for something similar. There is something available for a standard windows PC based file server running win xp and vista which im currently trialling. It basically syncs email, contacts, calender tasks etc between clients and the file server PC. You can select what personal folders you want to share on your network and if you allow access you can view other users emails, calender, contacts tasks etc.

The software is called PUBLIC FOLDERS and its available from codetwo. It has a 2 parts, a server module and a outlook client module.

Im looking at getting a mediasmart server but do not know whether this software will work with WHS. I dont know much about WHS to be honest, dont know if you can run normal windows software on WHS.

It works great under normal windows PC server configuration, hoping it works on WHS.

Regards
Teo

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

GlynH wrote:
I've just noticed this thread via RSS and I've only had a quick speed-read of this thread because it has gone 1 o'clock inthe morning, I am still working and I have to be up at 5am so I'll be brief now and come back during normal office hours! :crazy:

I would ike a 'full strength' email solution so I can run Outlook as my client on any of the PC's in my house (and possibly remotely as well) and wondered if there was a good way to do this?

I have seen the Office Maven solution and the one that caught my eye was by Paul Smith and was called VPOP3;

http://www.pscs.co.uk/

I did email him some weeks ago but never received a reply... :(

Without wishing to go down the Exchange Server route and apart from either of the two mentioned above is there any other solution out there please?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

I have used vpop3 and it is very easy to setup on a WHS system. It has an add-in, configures easily and has a spam filter as well. It is very fast to get your email to any client from the server and vpop3 will consolidate different accounts into one or separate out individuals from one account. It's quite flexible and easy to configure but I too question it's use unless you have a consolidated mail account that catches all mail for several people and then you can automatically disburse it to individual mailboxes with vpop3. For me, it did nothing that outlook couldn't do.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:12 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

teo wrote:
Hi im new here as well, i was looking for something similar. There is something available for a standard windows PC based file server running win xp and vista which im currently trialling. It basically syncs email, contacts, calender tasks etc between clients and the file server PC. You can select what personal folders you want to share on your network and if you allow access you can view other users emails, calender, contacts tasks etc.

The software is called PUBLIC FOLDERS and its available from codetwo. It has a 2 parts, a server module and a outlook client module.

Im looking at getting a mediasmart server but do not know whether this software will work with WHS. I dont know much about WHS to be honest, dont know if you can run normal windows software on WHS.

It works great under normal windows PC server configuration, hoping it works on WHS.

Welcome, Teo, to the world of WHS/MSS! Good to have you aboard!

The WHS is built on a base of Windows Server 2003 so, essntially, anything that runs of WS2003 will run on a WHS box.

Many of us would love to see you post a success story on that in a WHS environment!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:56 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks John
I have ordered a Data Vault X510 with 3TB. I am going to give this a go. I have asked codetwo about compatability and they have told me it should work. They are very interested to see if this will work also. If it doesnt work, i will run the server module of Public Folders on an old PC for the email sharing syncing etc, and file sharing on the new data vault.

Will post my results once its setup.
Regards
Teo

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

OK its been a while, but i have given what i discussed a go and it works great. I am using my DATA VAULT X510 like an exchange server without having exchange. Its not exactly the same but gives many of the advantages of exchange. For Small business setups this makes the Mediasmart server a great alternative. We have five users in our office and we are all able to share contacts, calenders, notes tasks and emails. We are able to control permissions for each of these and are able to access any shared info from our network through the outlook clients on each of our machines. This is a summary of the setup.

Mediasmart server: Code two Public Folders Server Module
Client PC's: Code two Public Folders Client Module.

www.codetwo.com

The setup is very easy and was working in minutes. The initial sync of data between clients and the server can take a while depending on the size of your outlook .pst file. Basically the server module syncs data between all the clients and keeps everything up to date.

Give it a try.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I am still looking for a suitable way to centralize mail without resorting to Exchange Server but am leaning towards building a rack server purely to run Exchange on.

Not very happy in that the Server OS cannot be backed up to WHS but mail is very important to me.

This was highlighted last week when the PSU in my main workstation bit the dust and I could not obtain a new one off the shelf.

All of my mail was locked up on that workstation and, despite having 2 x laptops, a netbook and Media PC i was unable to access my mailbox.

Sure I could use webmail to keep abreast of current emails but I could not refer back to anything as all of my history was locked up on the PC as was my Documents etc.

After the PSU outage I need to rethink my whole network strategy as it showed how vulnerable I am to having my main PC go down with no redundancy.

Mind you the WHS PSU is most definitely a weak link in itself...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks