It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:54 am 
Founder
Founder

toddinpal wrote:
Well if I try it I'll probably have to do the backup manually as BDBB refuses to let me try using the drive as the destination as it claims there isn't enough free space on the drive. I can't see any reasonable way to fake out BDBB to let me try using it as the destination. But I agree it sure seems like it should work as the compression would occur under the covers so to speak.

BDBB is simply querying the drive for it's amount of free space via standard Windows calls. Technically I don't think this is a bug as to my knowledge there is no way to tell how much free space there might be after compression. I haven't had any plans have BDBB compress the files primarily because it would make an already lengthy process a lot longer, and I haven't had any requests for this in the life of BDBB.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:04 pm 

yakuza wrote:
That is helpful, thanks. The issue appears to be a weird volume name, can you share the a screenshot of all attached volumes under My Computer on the server?

I hope this is what you're after:-

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:17 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Ahhhh... Where is the target drive there? Is it the disconnected network drive?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 pm 

yakuza wrote:
BDBB is simply querying the drive for it's amount of free space via standard Windows calls. Technically I don't think this is a bug as to my knowledge there is no way to tell how much free space there might be after compression. I haven't had any plans have BDBB compress the files primarily because it would make an already lengthy process a lot longer, and I haven't had any requests for this in the life of BDBB.

I understand what BDBB is doing and it makes sense. I guess all I'd be asking for is a way to tell BDBB ignore the amount of free space and try doing the backup. My guess is that compression, although time consuming, would make a substantial difference in the amount of space required. Perhaps simply changing the message that says there isn't enough free space, to be a warning instead and ask if you wish to proceed in any case.

Also, if I should mount this drive remotely I believe the compression would be done on the remote system which if fast enough might not make a significant difference in the backup time over a 1GB network connection.

Thanks,
Todd

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:51 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I would suggest that you may want to try doing it to a compressed target of sufficient size first, evaluate the effectiveness of the compression, and THEN make a case for the change(s) you need in BDBB.

I'm not so sure there is going to be a huge difference, but a quick test should prove tghe point one way or the other.

Hmmm... I was planning to mount a new pair of backup drives tomorrow. If I have time I may even try it myself. (Also trying to get ready for company so may not happen.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 am 
Founder
Founder

dmkw wrote:
I hope this is what you're after:-
Thanks,
Dave.

That does help, I believe the single quotes in the network drive name are causing the problem. You can unmount that network drive as a workaround for now, I'll need to look into it a little bit to see what's the best way to handle this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 am 
Founder
Founder

toddinpal wrote:
I understand what BDBB is doing and it makes sense. I guess all I'd be asking for is a way to tell BDBB ignore the amount of free space and try doing the backup. My guess is that compression, although time consuming, would make a substantial difference in the amount of space required. Perhaps simply changing the message that says there isn't enough free space, to be a warning instead and ask if you wish to proceed in any case.

Also, if I should mount this drive remotely I believe the compression would be done on the remote system which if fast enough might not make a significant difference in the backup time over a 1GB network connection.

Thanks,
Todd

Thanks for your comments. I'm not convinced that this is the best behavior to go for, especially with no testing to see if compression actually works on the 4GB Client Backup files (I suspect they will compress but have not tested to see if they will or what the performance is like). If you do some testing I'd love to hear your results, in the mean time I'll put this on my list of things to think about for a future release but don't promise any change in behavior.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:05 pm 

Well I haven't tried an entire manual backup, but I did try copying 10 of the 4GB files to the external disk that has file compression enabled. What I got was:

Uncompressed original files: 40.0 GB (42,949,672,960 bytes)
Compressed files: 32.9 GB (35,356,307,456 bytes)

So nearly 20% reduction in space required. I think at this point I'll try the entire backup database and see what I get. Also I know that several of my client machines have large incompressible or nearly incompressible files, i.e., JPG, DIVX, AVI, and MPEG files. So clearly those clusters are unlikely to compress any more than they've already been compressed.

Copying 1.5 TB now...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:52 am 

yakuza wrote:
That does help, I believe the single quotes in the network drive name are causing the problem. You can unmount that network drive as a workaround for now, I'll need to look into it a little bit to see what's the best way to handle this.

Unmounting the network drive has cured it. I don't really need access to that drive anyway - it was created when I installed a Cannon network printer driver.

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:32 pm 
Founder
Founder

Glad to hear it's not critical to have that drive mounted. Regardless, it's a bug I'll want to fix in a future release, thanks for bringing it to my attention! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:20 pm 

OK, the manual backup of the database took 28 hours and here are the non-compressed vs compressed numbers?

Non compressed: 1,653,701,003,264 bytes
Compressed: 1,412,947,713,536 bytes

So roughly 15% savings in space. Maybe not a huge amount, but for me at least it meant I could backup to my 1.5 TB external drive instead of having to go get another larger drive for backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the datapoints, interesting to see how much will actually compress.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:56 am 

yakuza wrote:
Glad to hear it's not critical to have that drive mounted. Regardless, it's a bug I'll want to fix in a future release, thanks for bringing it to my attention! :mss:

Just happy that I could help out. Thanks for a really great piece of software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:52 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

toddinpal wrote:
OK, the manual backup of the database took 28 hours and here are the non-compressed vs compressed numbers?

Non compressed: 1,653,701,003,264 bytes
Compressed: 1,412,947,713,536 bytes

So roughly 15% savings in space. Maybe not a huge amount, but for me at least it meant I could backup to my 1.5 TB external drive instead of having to go get another larger drive for backups.

Did you also record the time taken for the backup each way? Is the compression slowing things down significantly?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:44 pm 

yakuza wrote:
If you save to "Server Storage", BDBB will store the backups it creates in an Application Folder, this is in D:\folders\{89*.

I saved a couple of stored BDBB in the Server Storage area. If I create a network share folder within the BDBB setup, could I move the Server Storage BDBB folders to the network folder share? Is it safe to do this? Or am I better off just to make a BDBB back to the network folder share and leave the Server Storage area untouched?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next