It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:33 am 
Founder
Founder

Those messages aren't relevant, anything else in that log? Make sure you're looking at the most recent log/log that was created when the Console died. What is in the event viewer?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 am 

That was the most recent log, but I had done a reboot in between.

As I saw error messages about backups and health, I uninstalled the WHS Health Add-In. I also removed a computer that I no longer have, and did a Backup cleanup. I tried BDBB again, and this time it appeared to work. The console was still closed like before, but the size of the backup on my USB drive was 368 GB, versus 370 GB reported by the console as containing backups. I did have to reboot in order to get the Backup Service running again, but this appears to be normal.

I looked in the Event Viewer and various HomeServerConsole logs, but nothing stands out. I did come across these errors, which are repeated throughout one log file that appears to be the one when the backup was being performed. I still don't see why the console closed:

[1]100601.025003.9375: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
[1]100601.025003.9375: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
[1]100601.025003.9375: Error: Client 814cd23b-7143-4f2f-8a07-1ce6e4c03e33 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
[1]100601.025003.9375: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 814cd23b-7143-4f2f-8a07-1ce6e4c03e33
at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 am 
Founder
Founder

If the console is closing, then BDBB is likely not completing. BDBB reports in the Application Event Viewer when it starts and completes a backup, if you don't see it report that it completed then it isn't a successful backup.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:55 pm 

Hi

I am not seeing any backups even though I have backups?

Note: I did add-in, restart console. I even ran a manual backup. Then I restarted WHS. Nothing showing. My storage is 1ea 160GB IDE drive then 2 750GB SATA drives on a RAID Controller but each drive is a unit so they show in storage as individual drives (no RAID configured).

Attachments:
File comment: pic of add in
a.JPG
a.JPG [ 32.65 KiB | Viewed 13428 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

The add-in only shows you BDBB backups, which are copies of the Backup Database. You won't see your original WHS Backup DB in the user interface.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:53 pm 

Ahhhhh....and the brain juices come alive again....so he says as he pushes the Backup button.... :banana: :mss: :whs:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:20 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I apologize for asking this question as it may have been already answered in this very long thread. I have read the Wiki and still have the question.

I am not currently using the Database Backup Add-In. My WHS has 5 disks and I am using 2.25 TB in my storage pool.

Does the Add-In backup the entire 2.25 TB of my current backed up data or does it only back up a WHS database file, etc. that tells WHS where all of the backed up data is located on the 5 disks.

I am asking this because I am wondering if I would need an external drive connected to my WHS with enough capacity - at least 2.25 TB to handle the "backed up database" from the Add-In.

I don't really understand what the Database-Backup Add-In backs up.

Thanks.

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

@artmanphoto

WHS BDBB backups the backup database. That is the database of client PC backups. The purpose of backing up the backup database to a separate drive or network drive is to have a backup of the backup database you can use to restore your main backup database in case the main database is damaged or corrupted somehow (i.e., a failed HDD in the storage pool takes out the backup database). You can replace the failed HDD and use the BDBB backup to restore your backup database.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cavediver - thanks for your information.

Is the backup database something very large? Will I need a large external drive connected to the WHS?

Thanks again for your help.

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:57 pm 
Founder
Founder

Look on the Server Storage tab of your Home Server Console, and the piece of the pie chart that says "PC Backups" is the size of the backup DB.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Look on the Server Storage tab of your Home Server Console, and the piece of the pie chart that says "PC Backups" is the size of the backup DB.

Yakuza -

Thank you for jumping in with your answer which is exactly the information I was looking for. The pie chart says the "PC Backups" are 981 Gb. So to use your Backup Database-Backup Add-In I would need at least a 1 TB external drive to handle the Database Backup - is this correct?

Currently my WHS has 5 disks totaling 3.5 TB. I would think that the external disk to handle the Database Backup would need to be close to the 3.5 TB just in case the database grew over time - is this correct?

Of the various Database Backup disk options your Wiki gives: backup to an application folder within the WHS server storage, a WHS Backup drive, or another drive connected to the server, I would think an external drive connected to the server would be the safest - is this correct?

The largest USB or firewire external hard drive that I have seen is a 1 TB - I don't know if they make them larger than 1 TB.

I would really like to consider using your Add-In but I must understand what is involved.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

artmanphoto wrote:
The pie chart says the "PC Backups" are 981 Gb. So to use your Backup Database-Backup Add-In I would need at least a 1 TB external drive to handle the Database Backup - is this correct?

Yes, though I'd recommend 2TB since they are so cheap these days.

Quote:
Currently my WHS has 5 disks totaling 3.5 TB. I would think that the external disk to handle the Database Backup would need to be close to the 3.5 TB just in case the database grew over time - is this correct?

The Backup DB is the sum of all your PC backups, how big that gets totally depends on how much data your store on the clients vs how much you store on the server. With your DB currently 981 GB I think you'd be fine with a 2TB backup drive for a while.

Quote:
I would think an external drive connected to the server would be the safest - is this correct?

Yes, this is the best method in my opinion.

Quote:
The largest USB or firewire external hard drive that I have seen is a 1 TB - I don't know if they make them larger than 1 TB.

2TB external drives are available, as are various single and multi-drive enclosures that you can add your own disks to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:35 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Alex -

Thanks very much for your great information. In your last post you mentioned that there are multi-drive enclosures that I can add my own drives to. I would like to see if I could find an external enclosure that would hold 2 SATA drives because my WHS has a SATA connector for an external drive. If I plug a 2 drive SATA enclosure into the WHS will your Database Backup Add-In work with the multi-drive enclosure?

This should be all of my questions for now. I really appreciate you helping me.

Thanks!

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sans Digital makes 4 & 5 drive esata enclosures that work great with the MSS. If your MSS is an older EX470, you can only use the 4 drive enclosure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:26 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

cavediver wrote:
Sans Digital makes 4 & 5 drive esata enclosures that work great with the MSS. If your MSS is an older EX470, you can only use the 4 drive enclosure.

Please tell me what a MSS and EX470 is - I am not familiar with those terms.

Thanks!

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next