It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:36 am 
Founder
Founder

It's not clear to me what is the ultimate goal you are trying to accomplish. Sure, it's safe to move the backups around manually if you choose as long as you keep all the files together for that backup set. However, I'd probably suggest that it's most simple to just delete the ones from Server Storage and create a new one on the network location if that is your preferred place to store your backups.

I hope this helps.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 am 

I have used the add-in and it is a great add-in. I just have one question:
When I take at look at the files the backup contains I can see files called <pcname>.backupset.dat. But only files from two of my three computers. Does that mean that the backup does not contain files from my wifes computer? I have checked the backup configuration for my wifes laptop and WHS says it is backed up. Is there anyway to check that the backup of the BDBB is correct?

/Kurt.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have seen the same thing. It APPEARS that these files appear for "n-1" of the actual computers in the backup database. I HAVE been able to recover that "nth" computer so I do not think it is a problem. And this is also what is in the actual WHS file system. Si I do not think it is a problem.

Anyone else seen this?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:28 pm 

I tried to "recover" a single file from my wifes laptop and there was no problems so it looks like it is okay. But it is a strange design :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:44 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Quick BDBB question. Can I effectively copy a BDBB files set to an external drive by just copying the BDBB directory? Like to do this to an external drive for offsite storage. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

Sure, there's nothing special about where it's stored, it's just a copy of the backup files. See the MS Backups doc linked in the first post (or Wiki) if you'd like all the details.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

The Automated Backup Script can be used directly on that external drive...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:27 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,

I've used WHS BDBB fine at home but today I wanted to use it on our WHS in work and came across the following bug. It seems if you enter a user name in the form of DOMAIN\USERNAME that the Configure Network Backup Location hangs. Also it might have been due to referring to a server share as \\SERVER\c$

Is this is known issue with WHS BDBB?

Cheers,
Al

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Al, I'm not able to reproduce your error report, I successfully mapped C$ on my PC using domain\username. What I think is happening is that the authentication is failing for some reason at which point I pop up a messagebox, and I suspect the messagebox is hiding behind the "Configure Network Backup Location" dialog. Look for a small grey border underneath the white "Configure" dialog.

If you restart the Server Console you should be able to try again, and just be careful not to click anywhere in the console until after the share is mapped or the failure messagebox appears. I'll look into a way to better handle this in a later release.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ah found the dialog box now - it was my mistake I had the wrong server :-(

Cheers,
Al

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I am running a 2nd BDBB backup on a machine that I did a backup with once before.

The box is an EX495 and the backup set that was created previously is about 65GB. When I created the initial backup set on this drive (the drive is SATA connected to the EX495 backplane) it took about an hour or two to create.

This time, after running for 3.5 hours the backup progress has only moved from 11% to 15%. At this rate it will take over 24 hours for the backup to complete.

Is there any diagnostic information available that might pinpoint what the cause is for the uber slow backup?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 am 
Founder
Founder

How big is the backup? BDBB will advise you prior to creating the backup. Also check the System Status on the HP tab, see if CPU load is high. You can always cancel and start it over, though the cancel may take awhile to take effect.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
How big is the backup? BDBB will advise you prior to creating the backup. Also check the System Status on the HP tab, see if CPU load is high. You can always cancel and start it over, though the cancel may take awhile to take effect.

Ya, already canceled, rebooted and trying again but it's still running slow. BDBB says the backup will be 65GB. CPU load on the box in question is 10%.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Okay, after only moving 4% in 3 hours it inexplicably completed the next time I checked it, an hour later.

Maybe the time/progress estimation isn't working right.

In any event it looks like it backed up.

WHS backup services didn't restart though so I have to reboot the box again to clear it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

The progress indicator is simply number of files copied divided by number of total files, converted to a percent. The first few move fast because they are small.

I've seen the backup service sometimes not restart, rebooting the box seems to work fine.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next