It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:06 pm 
Founder
Founder

WHS will reclaim it after some time.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
DarienA

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

DarienA wrote:
If I turn off either of the DB duplication options(which I've had on)... how do I reclaim that disk space?

When you turn duplication off, WHS will delete the duplicate and the space will become available. How long that takes depends on the size of the backup database.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
DarienA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:36 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm not sure if what I experience is the "normal" operation of 1.0.1.6 so let me explain what I did... this is my first time using the tool to do a backup.

Remote in to WHS. Attached a USB drive, added it via the WHS console. Gave it a share name. Opened up the Add in, connected the share and started the backup process. Got notification on client machine that backup service wasn't running (expected that). DB ran for a bit... last time I look it as at about 13%. Looked again the WHS Console had closed, my client machine still reported the backup service wasn't running as did WHS when I reopened the console. In addition the external USB was no longer attached to WHS, though I do see files on there. How can I judge whether the DB Backup completed successfully? Was the backup service suppose to restart or did I have to reboot (as I am right now)?

Update: Ok so I read another post that said the disk space being used for the DB backup should be the same as the pie chart showing in the console for the section Pc Backups... it isn't... so I'm guessing the DB Add in died during the backup....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:48 am 
Founder
Founder

When you attached the USB drive and "added it via the Console", did you add it as a Server Backup drive, or to the Storage Pool? How did you give it a Share name?

Can you post a screenshot of your Server Storage tab and your BDBB tab?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
When you attached the USB drive and "added it via the Console", did you add it as a Server Backup drive, or to the Storage Pool? How did you give it a Share name?

Can you post a screenshot of your Server Storage tab and your BDBB tab?

I added it as a server backup drive... I gave it a share name but opening up my computer, right click, sharing, etc....

Let me run it again before I do screen captures, I've actually removed the hard drive and I'm running a chkdsk on it to make sure its ok..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:11 am 
Founder
Founder

You shouldn't need to add a share name to it if it's a Server Backup drive, it should automatically get a drive letter and show up in BDBB as a backup target.

Definitely reboot the server if the Backup Service is still not running.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
You shouldn't need to add a share name to it if it's a Server Backup drive, it should automatically get a drive letter and show up in BDBB as a backup target.

Definitely reboot the server if the Backup Service is still not running.

Although I got a drive letter it didn't show up as a backup target in BDBB.

I'll try again after this chkdsk finishes... large drive, its about 75% done it looks like.

Update: Hmm this time when I went to do the backup the external drive was listed, its sitting at 3% like it did for awhile before so I'll post another update sometime later this eve.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok same thing happened, I look it was 9% or so... looked later the WHS console was closed, and here's what I've got through various screenshots. When this runs correctly its suppose to end up with a backup the same size as the pie chart section labeled PC Backups... correct?

Attachments:
whs1.jpg
whs1.jpg [ 50.57 KiB | Viewed 19641 times ]
whs2.jpg
whs2.jpg [ 119.16 KiB | Viewed 19641 times ]
whs3.jpg
whs3.jpg [ 99.86 KiB | Viewed 19641 times ]
whs4.jpg
whs4.jpg [ 61.09 KiB | Viewed 19641 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can check the Event Viewer on the server, I'll log some messages there if I catch an exception. Things look normal from your screenshot, my only thought is that perhaps the USB drive is dropping connectivity for some reason. :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:51 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
You can check the Event Viewer on the server, I'll log some messages there if I catch an exception. Things look normal from your screenshot, my only thought is that perhaps the USB drive is dropping connectivity for some reason. :(

You may be right. No errors in the log from your app but earlier when I was running the chkdsk lots of hard drive bad blocks, I've got another drive that I'll try this evening.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

That would be my recommendation, let us know how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:29 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

DarienA: As an aside I notice that you only have 2.19GB free of the 20 GB on that C-Drive partition. That's close to the lowest amount of free space I have seen there. Unless you have installed applications there you may want to check event and log files to see if something is filling them up. If it is, it may be related. In any event you may want to archive the existing logs and clean that up before they exceed your free space. (A couple users have encountered problems with that.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:43 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks John, yeah some of it is definitely installed applications, I'll see what kinda cleaning up I can do. Thanks for the warning.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:28 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So far so good this morning, the 2nd usb drive is up to 23% (started it this morning) with no errors yet.

edit: Backup completed successfully. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:26 pm 

Did a stupid thing but BDBB saved me. Never mess with the computer that is being backed up at the same time you mess with your WHS. Turned out that I screwed up the files structure on my source PC (be careful using Vista CHKDSK on an XP system). While this was happening my WHS drive coincidentally died. That left me with no backup and two bad disks EXCEPT I had used BDBB on another hard drive a week before. Reinstalled WHS on a new drive. Installed BDBB. Restored it from the hard drive to the WHS and then from the WHS to the original PC. BDBB truly saved the day.

Thanks Alex.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next