It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:32 pm 
Founder
Founder

Bluewind wrote:
Did a stupid thing but BDBB saved me. Never mess with the computer that is being backed up at the same time you mess with your WHS. Turned out that I screwed up the files structure on my source PC (be careful using Vista CHKDSK on an XP system). While this was happening my WHS drive coincidentally died. That left me with no backup and two bad disks EXCEPT I had used BDBB on another hard drive a week before. Reinstalled WHS on a new drive. Installed BDBB. Restored it from the hard drive to the WHS and then from the WHS to the original PC. BDBB truly saved the day.

Thanks Alex.

Awesome to hear a success story, I'm glad the Add-In helped you! In particular that it enabled you to restore your PC image as well, that's a great story, thanks for sharing. 8)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

And WELCOME to the worlf of MSS/WHS, Bluewind! Good to have you aboard!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 pm 

Hello. I have a question about the BDBB tool. I have a MSS EX475, and have recently acquired an EX480. I would like to take my backup database from old to new, and then sell the old to a friend. Can this be done using the BDBB Add-In? This would also be beneficial to users of the EX47x servers when the 2.5 update becomes available for those servers as well.

I'm still "on the fence" as to whether or not I should upgrade the RAM in the 475 and keep it, since I had added 2 1TB drives to it about a month before I got my EX480 deal. Although I don't foresee needing the eSATA port w/ multiplier, I seem to recall that once upon a time I thought I'd never need more than 40MB of hard drive space! LOL :sanjuan:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes, that should work fine. I'd probably recommend you connect all your clients to the new server, then move the DB over. Also make sure to be fully up to the same Power Pack and Updates level on both servers to avoid issues.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:09 pm 

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between WHS Backups and BDBB Backups? Did I get this right? I think I understand that BDBB Backups are client PC backups right? We have the BDBB Add-in installed so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:15 pm 
Founder
Founder

From the BDBB Wiki article linked in the first post of this topic:

Quote:
BDBB backups are snapshots of the Windows Home Server backup database.

The WHS backup database contains all the client PC backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 pm 

yakuza wrote:
From the BDBB Wiki article linked in the first post of this topic:

Quote:
BDBB backups are snapshots of the Windows Home Server backup database.

The WHS backup database contains all the client PC backups.

ok, got the WHS backup part. It has all the data from the PC's. What exactly is in the snapshots of the "Windows Home Server backup database"? Is this the data inside the Shared Folder or just a database with no data?

By the way, just ran BDBB and it looks like it's hanging at 1%. Light on USB dock has not blinked in 30 minutes. I think it may have hung there. Any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

mealto wrote:
ok, got the WHS backup part. It has all the data from the PC's. What exactly is in the snapshots of the "Windows Home Server backup database"? Is this the data inside the Shared Folder or just a database with no data?

BDBB is designed to make a copy of the WHS backup database. The result of this copy process is a BDBB backup. Perhaps you try sharing with us what you are trying to accomplish, and we can tell you if this is the right tool for you.

mealto wrote:
By the way, just ran BDBB and it looks like it's hanging at 1%. Light on USB dock has not blinked in 30 minutes. I think it may have hung there. Any ideas?

The backup can take a very long time, depending on the size of your backup database. Also, did you set the Backup Target to be your external USB disk? You should be able to cancel the backup, though that can also take a long time time...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:42 pm 

Hey Alex, thanks for the reply. My understanding was that we could use WHS to do manual backups of all the shared folders (and have done so on the external USB drive). It is also my understanding that PC clients are no longer backed up using this method of backups so I was going to use your Add-In to backup Client PC's. Am I on the right track? If so, would the PC backups (files) be mountable or viewable through Windows Explorer?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:49 pm 
Founder
Founder

mealto wrote:
Hey Alex, thanks for the reply. My understanding was that we could use WHS to do manual backups of all the shared folders (and have done so on the external USB drive). It is also my understanding that PC clients are no longer backed up using this method of backups so I was going to use your Add-In to backup Client PC's. Am I on the right track? If so, would the PC backups (files) be mountable or viewable through Windows Explorer?

Correct, the WHS Backup Database is not backed up via the Server Backup feature that will allow you to back up your shared folders, and yes, BDBB is meant to accomplish this. Note that BDBB only backs up the WHS backup database that contains the files from the PC's, you will not be able to browse these backups via Explorer. Instead, you would restore the BDBB backup and then you could browse via the usual Single File Restore feature of WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:37 pm 

So the Restore function would bring back the backup copy of the PC images. Then when you say "Single File Restore feature of WHS" that is the Browse backups where it maps a drive letter to your local computer correct? Thanks for your patience. This terminology is confusing and I thought I know my PC's!

Update on the backup. Looks like it was at 3% and then all of a sudden, I lost connectivity. I cannot ping the WHS machine from RDP'ing through hamachi to a local machine and hamachi is not showing the WHS machine online. I won't know what happened until I get back to the office. Maybe a crash during the BBDB backup process?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:51 pm 
Founder
Founder

mealto wrote:
So the Restore function would bring back the backup copy of the PC images. Then when you say "Single File Restore feature of WHS" that is the Browse backups where it maps a drive letter to your local computer correct?

Correct.

mealto wrote:
Update on the backup. Looks like it was at 3% and then all of a sudden, I lost connectivity. I cannot ping the WHS machine from RDP'ing through hamachi to a local machine and hamachi is not showing the WHS machine online. I won't know what happened until I get back to the office. Maybe a crash during the BBDB backup process?

It's possible. The backup runs in the context of the server console, so it should still be running unless the server itself crashed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm 

ok, I am in the office. There is physical power to the WHS machine but cannot RDP in or use the console to connect. Connector icon is gray. Cannot access shared folders or mapped drives. How do we reboot the server without holding down the power switch?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The only way to reboot now is to hold the power switch if you cannot RDP in.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:51 pm 

ok, read your reply and just did a hard reboot on the WHS machine. Then realized I should have plugged in a keyboard, mouse and monitor to check the machine! Doh! In any case, the machine restarted with a hard reset. I just uninstalled BDBB. Can I safely delete the BDBB folder in D drive?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next