It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,

I noticed something strange with my Disk management add-in. I have 4 drives inside my x510 and additional 4 inside esata Mediasonic enclosure.

When I log in my WHS Console sometimes when I quickly switch to Drive management tab I see most of my drives shown "red" in wireframe, but only for a split second before they return to healthy "blue".
I never saw any red indicator under Server Storage tab, nor any warnings in system tray icon, so I believe this is due to some "lag" of Disk management communication with the hard drives.

Once I even logged in WHS Console (after WHS has been up and running idle for a few hours - meaning disks probably went into "power saving" mode) and quickly went straight to Disk Management only to discover to my horror that 5 out of 8 disks were red in wireframe and missing from Storage pool list on the left. No warning was issued by WHS whatsoever and the console icon in my tray was green. I then switched tab to Server Storage and there all the disks were green and healthy. Went back to Disk Management and all was fine there as well. It was as if the Disk management sometimes doesn't recognize all the disks. Maybe it is due to some lag in communication, especially when disks go into power saving mode (all the disk I have are low power ones - WD Greens and Seagate LP).

Has anyone experianced something similar? Is it something to get worried about?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:58 am 
Founder
Founder

It's unlikely anything to worry about, if you're concerned about drive health you could try the WHS SMART Add-In. Which version of Disk Management are you using?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:03 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi Nathan,

It's lag, essentially. Nothing to worry about.

Depending on what else is going on when the Console loads, it can take a couple of seconds for the Add-In to get the full list of disks from the Disk Management service and display them.

When a drive bay can't find a disk with a corresponding SCSI path it lights up red to indicate that the disk is "missing". As each disk is added to the list, the add-in checks each drive bay and switches them to blue "normal" status when it finds a matching SCSI path.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the reinsurance! It is appreciated.

And Happy New Year!

Thanks